So many developpers disapponted with "1OK Commitment challenge", so let's speak a bit about it.

In 2012, RIM announced the "1OK Commitment challenge" for BB10.

Rules :
    - Submit an application for BB10 before the 21 Jan 2013
    - Get the "Built for Blackberry"
    - Make more than 1000$ earnings over a period of 12 months.

( https://developer.blackberry.com/bui.../10kterms.html )

Sounds nice.
    As a non native english, I understand the rule. The sale period is not well defined but sounds logiciel to be soon after the 21 Jan deadline.

I contacted Aaron Ardiri at RIM in Oct 2012 ( Developer "Evangelist" )
    He was very kind and reactive. Sent me one Playbook and one Z10 phone later.
    The hardware was nice to program.

We worked hard on "Ragged Edge 3D" to submit it before the 21 Jan deadline.
    The game went on store on the 27 Jan 2013.
    We got the "Built for blackberry" quality label later, so everything was fine.
    People were happy with the game.
    Get your race on with Ragged Edge 3D for the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com

What went wrong :

RIM had lot of delay in processing all applications/games entries. So they decided to delayed the start of the challenge.
    On the 18 Mar 2013 I received an official mail (the only one) saying "You’re in! Get started with the $10k Developer Commitment Offer"
    With no date details : "Over the 12-month Sale Period, record at least $1,000US"

At this point, I was clearly sure that the "Sale period" when start when my game went on store. Sounds so logical.
    But I ignored that a date have been defined. The 4 Mar 2013 !!!
    Was it officially annonced ? No
    Did I had a mail about it ? No
    Was my game delayed also in the store released ? No

The date only appeared in one blog article on blackberry :
    Extending the Deadline for Built for BlackBerry | BlackBerry Developer Blog

Come on, let's be serious. An official date, is simply announced into one blog entry ?
    so amateurish.

Of course, I failed to get that info (so sure I would getting a mail for that). So I was very much confident in validating the challenge.

"Ragged Edge 3D" sold well in the first month (Feb 13). About 1000$ earnings.
    After the 4 Mar, it sold 918$ over 12 months.

So you clearly undertand that I'm now screwed up.

On the 5 Mar 2013, another problem occured in the challenge.
    In this article : Built for BlackBerry and the 10K Developer Commitment: Dates to Remember | BlackBerry Developer Blog ,
    dates have been modified (the date of the deadline for getting he B4B challenge).
    You can check the whole discussion here : Ridiculous update on the Alec Sounders blog post - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

How a challenge can be serious if dates are not defined at the beginning or worse, if date are changed at the end of the challenge ?

We worked hard on Ragged Edge, and lot of races have been played (over 50 000 gold scores have been recorded online).
    We had many hopes on RIM and Blackberry BB10. So nice hardware.
    Unfortunatly we are now very disappointed with the challenge hasardous organisation.

That's why we'll not develop any new game on that system.
    The validation are now closed and we lose money on that project.

Thanks for all players that had supported us.
    We are now going on PC. Surely more interesting business to do there.
    Last edited by Kristof78; 04-17-14 at 06:42 AM.
    04-17-14 06:17 AM
    That's why.
    That Thorsten...
    Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 06:28 AM
    Sad to read it, but it really looks like a BBRY fail. I don't believe it's a Thor I just believe too many people are cooking B4B potatos at BBRY. As a non native developer it is often hopeless to discuss with them - sometimes you do not understand what they say and sometimes they do not understand what you say. I can not understand when they have a big developer relation team why there is no one speaking your language or just trys to understand your language.
    For me who had 10 years English in school and took exams in it is sometimes really difficult to follow them. When I think back to B4B and the rules (I did not see any date there and thought it would start with official launch of BB10) I thought there would be at least one at BBRY who understands the languages which where shown for B4B apps. I could not imagine that no one at BBRY wants an app for Germany for example, but does not speak that language. I really can understand you, but for me I decided to work for my own and I don't care anymore about what BBRY is saying or doing. They want something they can get something, but they have to explain it in clear and not in an what the hell dialect.

the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear
    Last edited by BallRockReaper; 04-17-14 at 06:52 AM.
    04-17-14 06:40 AM
    BlackBerry not carrying through with what they say!!!! Sounds normal.

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl and richardat like this.
    04-17-14 06:51 AM
    Sad, and i feel sorry. I really hope Blackberry will call you.
    Is this the reason very huge number of developers don't want to support Blackberry? Because those who did, were treated this way?
    04-17-14 06:52 AM
    It is an unfortunate situation for you, but keep this in mind. The fact that they offered this promotion is unique in the industry. What other platform has done anything similar? This promotion got you motivated to publish your game on the store and you earned almost $2000 you otherwise would not have earned. That doesn't mean that BlackBerry couldn't have been clearer, but you did admit that you overlooked the date that was announced, so it isn't completely on them.

Perhaps some good will come of your post in either increased sales or a revisit of your eligibility for the contest's benefit. Even if it doesn't, you learned from the experience.
    04-17-14 07:02 AM
    I know they change rules, which happened in my case.

I went for Dev alpha swap for LE, and i read all rules. By the time my app was approved they changed rules, and when time came, they said I cannot get LE (I uploaded Android app, which they added it cannot be).

What I did was find one of the guys I knew, emailed him about the situation and a day later I got another email, that I'm getting a LE.

Talk to them, they are always friendly and help when I need something.
    Abrar0z and anon(2729369) like this.
    04-17-14 07:12 AM
    madcorgi >

2000$ (and one Z10, one PlayBook) for 3 months of work, for 2 people. That's not much. I agree this is 2000$, but in the same time I would have spend these 3 months doing something else. Sorry but I can not pay my bills with 33$ per month.

Actually Samsung also organised the same challenge. Intel also. Lot of companies are doing so.
    kevinnugent and Etios like this.
    04-17-14 07:12 AM
    Here is something "fun"

BlackBerry Promises to Honor $10K Developer Commitments so Nobody Misses Out - BerryReview

"BlackBerry Promises to Honor $10K Developer Commitments so Nobody Misses Out"

So I know now the value of Blackberry "promises"

> Sad, and i feel sorry. I really hope Blackberry will call you.

No they won't call. They already answered me I was not qualified. I really asked them before posting such message. I'm not doing this for fun.

> Is this the reason very huge number of developers don't want to support Blackberry?

That's really possible.
    04-17-14 07:15 AM
    I know they change rules, which happened in my case.
    Talk to them, they are always friendly and help when I need something.
    I also get the LE (Limited Edition) Z10.
    That's why I'm not understanding their behaviour. In one hand they are nice and for challenge they behave as assholes.
    Maybe they want to limit the quantity of money for winners.
    04-17-14 07:17 AM
    Here is something "fun"

BlackBerry Promises to Honor $10K Developer Commitments so Nobody Misses Out - BerryReview

"BlackBerry Promises to Honor $10K Developer Commitments so Nobody Misses Out"

So I know now the value of Blackberry "promises"

> Sad, and i feel sorry. I really hope Blackberry will call you.

No they won't call. They already answered me I was not qualified. I really asked them before posting such message. I'm not doing this for fun.

> Is this the reason very huge number of developers don't want to support Blackberry?

That's really possible.
    Well, i think your message will surely be read by some BBRY people inhere, and they'll know what to do. Maybe some miscommunication was there, or if you wanna go legal, then go legal
    04-17-14 07:25 AM
    So sorry to hear about it. Thanks for providing the game.
    04-17-14 07:26 AM
    Sorry to hear about this. Maybe as a compromise, BBRY will lower the price of your app to eliminate their cut to help increase your sales or perhaps they can give your app some prominent placement in Blackberry World to help drive your sales?
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-17-14 07:35 AM
    Wow it sounds like you really got ripped off but then again BlackBerry has an history at it. No wonder they went from 100% smartphone market share to ZERO.

I tried a few times to deal with them and they always refused to offer support.
    04-17-14 07:49 AM
    Sorry to hear about this. Maybe as a compromise, BBRY will lower the price of your app to eliminate their cut to help increase your sales or perhaps they can give your app some prominent placement in Blackberry World to help drive your sales?
    How about they give him the full amount of the challenge they owe him?
    04-17-14 07:50 AM
    If I were a developer I'd be more upset with the apparent switch to Android and the total failure of the BB10 platform to gain traction and users to buy my apps.

But if you and a few of your BB10 developer buddies got together, who knows what a lawyer could do for you. It's clearly caused you emotional pain and suffering along with the financial hardship....
    04-17-14 07:56 AM
    While I do sympathize, and I am very sorry that this happened, it is slightly unfair to say the date was not announced. You mentioned not only a blog post but also a letter that you received that stated the dates. (also it is not unheard of for companies to adjust time frames on promotions, it happens literally all the time). You also assumed Jan 21 was the deadline (as stated in your post), while a logical assumption, was still assumed. So now you have BlackBerry actually communicating the dates to you, and you assuming (as two problems). BlackBerry did seem to communicate with you and everyone, and to let you know you were in to a contest that had not yet begun. It is great that you got BFB, also great you made so much in sales. It is unfortunate that it came before the contest dates. BlackBerry *MAY* do something for you, if you contact them directly and plead your case, but they also may not. If your sales didn't fall within the posted scope of the contest, you didn't qualify.
    Nharzhool and grover5 like this.
    04-17-14 08:01 AM
    "� A maximum of $10,000,000USD will be distributed under this Offer. Limit one (1) payout per Vendor. Twelve month period to be determined by BlackBerry."

"The qualifying sale dates for the 10k Commitment is 12:01am ET, March 4 2013 to 11:59pm ET, March 3 2014 "

You should have advertised your app to make another $80 dollars in sales in those 12 months!! btw blackberry didn't rip you off.. you didn't read or undertand the terms.. likely because your english is so poor.
    04-17-14 08:22 AM
    "� A maximum of $10,000,000USD will be distributed under this Offer. Limit one (1) payout per Vendor. Twelve month period to be determined by BlackBerry."

"The qualifying sale dates for the 10k Commitment is 12:01am ET, March 4 2013 to 11:59pm ET, March 3 2014 "

You should have advertised your app to make another $80 dollars in sales in those 12 months!! btw blackberry didn't rip you off.. you didn't read or undertand the terms.. likely because your english is so poor.
    Last sentence is a bit harsh. Are all CB people like this?
    TGR1, schmeat, mikeo007 and 8 others like this.
    04-17-14 09:29 AM
    Exactly.. I highly doubt you would have made $200 on iOS or android..

Rules were plain as day, not blackberry's fault.
    04-17-14 09:31 AM
    I am with you on this one.But dumping a platform just bcoz you did't make money is just not acceptable.Between i guess you got to make a lot of friend while developing the app.Not to mention how much you learned about the platform which will help you a lot in Programming carrier.Trust me,if i'd be in your shoe's i would be badly pissed but i wouldn't give upon the fact that i got to learn something new(Still you made money right??).That's what Big organizations like Google look for in a developer.Also QNX is the future buddy(Modern Technology ,Almost Everything uses QNX) .You just gotta Dream Big.Yea life gives you a cookie sometimes but then It may take it back again ,it's all part of growing up .I Am learning programming too but Let me ask you something "Why did you take programming in the first Place??" Was it Money That mattered you the most Or Was it FUN Tinkering with what you could do with it!!That made you took programming.And lastly you have my best wishes For your future carrier Ahead
    04-17-14 10:11 AM
    I also get the LE (Limited Edition) Z10.
    That's why I'm not understanding their behaviour. In one hand they are nice and for challenge they behave as assholes.
    Maybe they want to limit the quantity of money for winners.
    I'm a developer who doesn't speak English so good, but when I did read your post, I understood that you didn't read the Terms of 10K Developer Commitment, they said there was a limited sum to be given to winners, and maybe this is the reason you didn't get qualified .

Also my experiance with BlackBerry (ex RIM) in the Port-a-Ton programs and in the last Build for BlackBerry was very nice, I did read all the Terms, and of course I recieved everything they promised us. That is my experiance with BlackBerry as a no English speaker.
    Nharzhool and silversmith75 like this.
    04-17-14 10:14 AM
    As a developer myself I hear you but you gotta do more than just release a game and hope it sells itself.
    You have constantly promote your apps either on CrackBerry, Twitter, Facebook, BBWorld promotion.
    If your game is good you shouldn't have any problems making the $1000 quota. With a review on CrackBerry you can make $1000 right there.
    04-17-14 10:20 AM
    madcorgi >

2000$ (and one Z10, one PlayBook) for 3 months of work, for 2 people. That's not much. I agree this is 2000$, but in the same time I would have spend these 3 months doing something else. Sorry but I can not pay my bills with 33$ per month.

Actually Samsung also organised the same challenge. Intel also. Lot of companies are doing so.
    This is why apps aren't being made for BB10. Unless the phone OS has a huge install base like iOS and Android you chances of making money on your app are small and you run the risk of loosing money and then why would you spend time updating it. The app just sits there withering. This is why I don't care what anyone says. If your OS isn't Android or iOS you'll have more chances winning the Lotto than getting developers to produce apps for it. You can even pay them to make the app but months later when the app is updated on iOS and Android their app sits there withering because they are only loosing money developing for the other OS's. On Android I get updates on apps daily. It's sad but true. Money drives these developers and you can't any longer believe any other phone platform that needs native apps to succeed. It just won't happen. The developers are non stop working on their apps. They can only work on so many operating systems plus so many tablet operating systems. For better or worse that is iOS and Android. Right place, Right time.
    04-17-14 10:37 AM
    I think I could have empathized with this developer's plight and would wish that BlackBerry pay him $8K for his efforts, but with the title of this thread and his abandoning of the platform, I really hope he doesn't get it. The title, alone, implies entitlement to a prize he admitted that he didn't quite meet the standards for. Further, his platform change to PC meant that he didn't quite lose all his efforts. If his game is a standout on PC, well, he should be making the $8K in no time, right?

BlackBerry: If you're going to give $8K to somebody for PlayBook development, give it to the developer of Origami, the free Chrome-like web browser, which wouldn't have qualified for the $10K prize because it's *free*. Yes, it's no longer being updated, but it's made a huge impact on the longevity of the usefulness of the PlayBook.
    serbanescu likes this.
    04-17-14 11:08 AM
64 123