I emailed the developer of Node Beat to ask if they would bring Tunable, their new app to BlackBerry, they responded with saying they don't have much time. I let them know 10.2.1 runs apk's without converting to bar. They sent me their app to test out, it works. BlackBerry really has made it much easier for developers.

Yes I understand native is better, but as the 4th ecosystem we really have no room to complain. Perhaps if BlackBerry grows devs will covert their apps to native. But right now we need developers more than they need us.

Try emailing a developer of an app you want and let them know about 10.2.1

Sent from my Z30
    11-22-13 12:52 PM
    Good to know. How very industrious of you
    MERCDROID, Pulkist and canuckvoip like this.
    11-22-13 12:55 PM
    I thought everything in BB World was still going to be BARs, and APKs had to be directly downloaded elsewhere.
    jason9900 likes this.
    Can I mod please edit the thread title? Bbworld not be world lol, thanks.

Sent from my Z30
    I imagine there will be some gems in BlackBerry World cone official 10.2.1

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 12:57 PM
    You make a good point...

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 01:05 PM
    Way to go Playbookster! I did something similar when BB10 was released. I got in touch with BB dev relations and told them about two companies that weren't planning on dev for BB10.
    BB dev relations turned around, contacted both companies and got them involved in the BB Jams in their area!
    It's amazing what you can do if you DO SOMETHING instead of just complaining!
    I salute you sir.

EDIT:
    I want that app too, so I'm going to email them as well in order to add support to the great effort you made!
    :>)
    bigbadben10 likes this.
    11-22-13 01:09 PM
    I emailed the developer of Node Beat to ask if they would bring Tunable, their new app to BlackBerry, they responded with saying they don't have much time. I let them know 10.2.1 runs apk's without converting to bar. They sent me their app to test out, it works. BlackBerry really has made it much easier for developers.

Yes I understand native is better, but as the 4th ecosystem we really have no room to complain. Perhaps if BlackBerry grows devs will covert their apps to native. But right now we need developers more than they need us.

Try emailing a developer of an app you want and let them know about 10.2.1

Sent from my Z30
    Yeah yay for android NOT.
    By bringing them in It pushes the current ones native / cascades out because most android apps are free so where the profit in even bring an app to the platform when the ones there are going to suffer due to the vast alternatives?
    An another thing the bigger teams / companies can afford to give their stuff away for free but with this independent firms will be out of sales.
    Last edited by Q100; 11-22-13 at 01:37 PM.
    11-22-13 01:17 PM
    Yeah yay for android NOT.
    By bringing them in I pushes the current ones native or cascades out because most android apps are free so where the profit in even bring an app to the platform when the ones there are going to suffer due to the vast alternatives?
    I think you are missing the point. It really comes down to do you want apps or not? If you want BlackBerry World to remain a barren wasteland then so be it. Devs bringing their Android apps to bbworld is not going to push native ones out. The native ones get better promotion from BlackBerry.

Sent from my Z30
    11-22-13 01:24 PM
    Here is the email I just sent the developer of Tunable (Affinity)... I'll post the reply when I get it...

"Hi there,
    I just bought your BB10 app NodeBeat and am currently enjoying it very much. Good job, thanks!
    I noticed that you’ve created another app that I’m very interested in called “Tunable”. I noticed that it’s on Android but not on BB10. Can I buy the Android version, or are there any plans to bring Tunable to BB10? I’d buy it immediately!
    I ask because my Z10 on latest version OS 10.2.1.1055 can install/run .apk natively now with a JellyBean runtime 4.2.2
    I cannot use Google play (for obvious reasons) so I’m curious if your app is available from other app stores for purchase so that I can run it on my BB Z10.
    Us guitar players are insatiable…
    :>)

Cheers,"
    kbz1960 and playbookster like this.
    11-22-13 01:31 PM
    An app is an app. I hold no bias between native and Android. I prefer native however.

More options....more choice

Posted via CB10
    bbmtna and web99 like this.
    11-22-13 01:37 PM
    If android apps arrive to BlackBerry world without the need to download amazon or 1mobile that would be a win!!

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 01:37 PM
    The Android runtime is becoming rather impressive.

I imagine in the not too distant future we will have better Android functionality than Android devices.

Native Android apps are being supported as well. That is a major engineering feat.

Posted via CB10
    LP_Rigg and loyalIND like this.
    11-22-13 01:41 PM
    The Android runtime is becoming rather impressive.

I imagine in the not too distant future we will have better Android functionality than Android devices.

Native Android apps are being supported as well. That is a major engineering feat.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not so sure. Google is dropping dalvik

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 01:43 PM
    Maybe the title should be changed until there is more than 1 developer.
    11-22-13 01:46 PM
    Maybe the title should be changed until there is more than 1 developer.
    True, but the OP deserves props for emailing the developer to give it a shot and it worked
    11-22-13 01:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    Curious to know blackberry's next move on this.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 01:53 PM
    One dev down. Many more to get on board. Once devs are aware they are all over this. Quite a good development.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 01:56 PM
    Curious to know blackberry's next move on this.

Posted via CB10
    I'd guess BB has at least a year (not that they should take too long) to have a solid plan for that. The new runtime is not quite ready for consumer yet.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    11-22-13 01:58 PM
    Everyone that wants an app supported should contact the dev about the capabilities of 10.2.1.

Well played playbookster. A fine sir indeed!

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 02:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    ART (the Dalvik replacement) is open source as well though, so BB can integrate it if they choose to (without requiring any special agreement with Google).
    canuckvoip likes this.
    11-22-13 02:26 PM
    ART (the Dalvik replacement) is open source as well though, so BB can integrate it if they choose to (without requiring any special agreement with Google).
    I hope it is a better experience than dalvik currently is

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 02:27 PM
    Well done indeed...

Although I can't help but think that if it is as easy as this, what the hell have BB been up to? I thought the big fanfare at launch was how easy it was to port Android apps?

Time Playbookster got a job offer... even if all he did was write letters/emails all day it would seem he would, on the face of it, be more productive in educating devs!

(That comment is probably very unfair but you can see why it looks that way at the minute...)
    11-22-13 02:27 PM
    Well done indeed...

Although I can't help but think that if it is as easy as this, what the hell have BB been up to? I thought the big fanfare at launch was how easy it was to port Android apps?

Time Playbookster got a job offer... even if all he did was write letters/emails all day it would seem he would, on the face of it, be more productive!
    I think as just a BlackBerry user devs are more willing to listen than to a BlackBerry employee.

Sent from my Z30
    canuckvoip likes this.
    11-22-13 02:28 PM
    I think as just a BlackBerry user devs are more willing to listen than to a BlackBerry employee.

Sent from my Z30
    That's sad...
    11-22-13 02:30 PM
52 123