hi, sorry about this, I think this is in the wrong section...
    I've been over this site a few times.
    I just need an answer to a simple question.
    I have Vista 64 installed on my machine, not 'cause I'm crazy, because I installed 4GB of RAM in my machine.
    I just bought my first Blackberry, a Blackberry Curve 8320.
    My provider is Rogers Wireless, in Canada.

OK. *gasp*

I installed the desktop manager/media thing that came on the disc rogers gave me, rebooted, and plugged in my Blackberry. It told me "Windows does not recognize the device etc. etc."
    So after searching around, I downloaded V4.2 SP2, without media crap.
    It gave me the same error.

Right now, these are the programs I have downloaded:

"8320M_PBr4.5.0_rel108_PL2.7.0.78_A4.5.0.81_Rogers " - Which is the program I got from the Rogers site, I haven't tried it, I can't find any mention of 64bit architecture.

"BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers_ENG (DM4.7b50)" Which I tried, but gave me the error.

and

"Desktop Software v4.2 SP2 without Media Manager (English)" Which gave me the error as well.

I've uninstalled each program before trying the next, and rebooted about a dozen times.

I'm so lost, and I don't know what to do.

I love my Blackberry, but all I want to do is get the thing to talk to my computer.

I'm not normally this helpless. But I'm totally lost, and have been tinkering with this for a while now.

Any help is appreciated.
    01-19-09 09:57 PM
    hi, sorry about this, I think this is in the wrong section...
    I've been over this site a few times.
    I just need an answer to a simple question.
    I have Vista 64 installed on my machine, not 'cause I'm crazy, because I installed 4GB of RAM in my machine.
    I just bought my first Blackberry, a Blackberry Curve 8320.
    My provider is Rogers Wireless, in Canada.

OK. *gasp*

I installed the desktop manager/media thing that came on the disc rogers gave me, rebooted, and plugged in my Blackberry. It told me "Windows does not recognize the device etc. etc."
    So after searching around, I downloaded V4.2 SP2, without media crap.
    It gave me the same error.

Right now, these are the programs I have downloaded:

"8320M_PBr4.5.0_rel108_PL2.7.0.78_A4.5.0.81_Rogers " - Which is the program I got from the Rogers site, I haven't tried it, I can't find any mention of 64bit architecture.

"BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers_ENG (DM4.7b50)" Which I tried, but gave me the error.

and

"Desktop Software v4.2 SP2 without Media Manager (English)" Which gave me the error as well.

I've uninstalled each program before trying the next, and rebooted about a dozen times.

I'm so lost, and I don't know what to do.

I love my Blackberry, but all I want to do is get the thing to talk to my computer.

I'm not normally this helpless. But I'm totally lost, and have been tinkering with this for a while now.

Any help is appreciated.
    go to rims website the lattes desktop software is 4.6 or 4.7 down load that and see if it will help you.
    01-19-09 10:09 PM
    Alright.
    I downloaded 4.6, installed it, rebooted.
    I waited for everything to load up, desktop manager came up with all those pretty icons.

I plugged in my Blackberry.

I got a little popup on the bottom right of my screen tell me one of the USB devices has malfunctioned.

Now it shows up in my device manager as "Unknown Device".

I'll uninstall 4.6, then install 4.7 I guess...
    01-19-09 10:42 PM
    Alright.
    I waited for everything to load up, desktop manager came up with all those pretty icons.

I got a little popup on the bottom right of my screen tell me one of the USB devices has malfunctioned.

I had the EXACT same problem as you with my Blackberry.
    Here is what fixed the problem

Desktop Manager 4.7 and the latest OS for your Blackberry.

Pretty much just update EVERYTHING and it will begin to wo
    01-19-09 11:12 PM
    You shouldn't have to update your berry. I'm running the same as you but 4.3 on my berry and DM 4.7 and it works perfectly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 11:42 PM
    Does windows properly recognize any other devices you have (ipod, usb drive, etc.)?
    01-19-09 11:52 PM
    Alright.

Usually when windows says a USB device has malfunctioned, it means the USB cable is bad or the USB port is bad. Try plugging it into a different USB port and trying a different cable if that doesn't work. Alternatively, you can go into your device manager and delete the "Unknown Device" entries under USB at the bottom then reboot, then try again. If it still ceases to work, turn your PC off, then unplug the power from it (dont want ANY power trickling in) for 20 min, then plug it back in and turn it on. That will fix the issue of static electricity building up, which I've seen many times.
    01-19-09 11:52 PM
    Alright, seems I've found my answer...

I installed 4.7, and I got the same problem.
    These usb ports usually work for me. I use them all the time for flashdrives, etc.

I plugged in my blackberry, and got the same message. And I tried using the cord from my PS3 controllers, it's mini-usb as well.

Then I really crammed the usb cable in there, and the screen flickered, and then told me it was connected to desktop.

Then I wrote this post. Right now I just picked it up, and it changed, it said "Application Error 200" on the screen, and reset. I think my port is buggy, I'll have to go back to the store and ask the guy.

When I plug in the USB cord that came with it, I notice I can see about 1mm of the silver plug. Is this normal?
    01-20-09 06:53 AM
    It's normal, but I've used several misc USB cables w/o any issues. Also using Vista 64 bit. I suggest sticking with DM 4.6 for your Curve. Sounds like a buggy USB port on your BB. Best to have it checked at the store.
    01-20-09 07:04 AM
    Well, it's working fine now, I'll have to take it in friday when I have time and get the guy to look at it.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help, a hardware issue was the last thing I thought it'd be. I'll have the guy at Rogers look at it.
    01-20-09 07:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD