Desjardins, a Quebec-based financial institution has just come out with mobile payments, limited only to certain carriers and certains phones.

Mobile payments - Desjardins

Desjardins launches NFC payments in Canada ? NFC World+

The phones that the mobile payment system works with are the following NFC-enabled smartphones:

Samsung Galaxy S3
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Samsung Galaxy Note III
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    HTC One (M7)
    BlackBerry Bold 9900

The phones also need to have an activated NFC SIM card. While this is good news for clients of Desjardins, it is odd that only the Bold would be listed as a device for the time being, knowing that BB10 phones all have NFC enabled on them. What could set them apart in terms of how NFC is working on them?

Also, the fact that only some carriers are partners can be explained simply by how the partnership agreement was structured, but I wonder if it has to do with the fact that only carriers that use an NFC activated SIM card could qualify?
    What are the carriers in Canada that do not have such a SIM card? I am on WINDmobile and am disappointed that they are not part of this new way of paying with our phones...

Any ideas?
    09-04-14 07:22 AM
    You need to purchase a secure sim of provider Rogers is my provider and they do have the Sims

Posted from my Z30
    09-04-14 08:18 AM
    TD did the same thing. They now offer mobile payments but only on the 9900. No BlackBerry 10 support... yet.
    09-04-14 08:21 AM
    It's not an issue of NFC support.. that's the same on the bold as it is on bb10.. although the secure sim is different mini vs micro, Rogers has both. It's an issue of software. One android app works on all supported androids.. one app for the bold (bbos) they obviously haven't yet written an app for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 08:24 AM
    TD did the same thing. They now offer mobile payments but only on the 9900. No BlackBerry 10 support... yet.
    That's what I am wondering about, why only the Bold for the time being? I'd love to understand this from a technical perspective ...

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 08:31 AM
    The technical perspective is bb10 requires it's own app for this.. the BBOS app from the bold won't work.. they need a developer who can /will code for BB10 (there aren't that many) and BlackBerry is actively telling devs to go code in android and submit their apps to amazon..

They may well be waiting to see if they'll be able to use their Android mobile payments app on BB10..

Posted via CB10
    bizzarothor likes this.
    09-04-14 08:41 AM