Opera Mini 5 is a much better browser than the BB browser. Is there any danger in removing the BB browser from my system?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-10 03:24 PM
    Well one thing for sure is that you would loose the ability to install apps/games OTA (unless you are only using AppWorld), the BB browser is required for that.
    03-20-10 03:28 PM
    Yes, you really don't want to delete the BlackBerry browser. If you don't want to use it, then just don't use it. But you need it to install applications. And you can't set Opera Mini as the default browser.
    03-20-10 03:37 PM
    If you don't want to see it, hide it. But the system will still open it when needed.
    03-20-10 03:41 PM
    How do I set Opera as default?

03-20-10 03:43 PM
    Said Motorcycle Mama "And you can't set Opera Mini as the default browser."

To make a very bad analogy, the BIS browser is to BB like IE is to Windows. There are some things you just can't do through any other browser. It's part of the way things are done in BlackBerry land.
    03-20-10 03:54 PM
    Ummmm ..... yeah.
    03-20-10 03:55 PM
    You can't.

03-20-10 03:55 PM
    There you have it. People with a combined post count over 10,000 say:

Can't do it, wouldn't be prudent at this juncture!
    03-20-10 03:57 PM
    Well...I betcha you could, by deleting the right Java files, but I betcha even more, in the end you'd regret it.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

03-20-10 04:02 PM
    i bet if you do delete the cod files, you will get java errors left and right and render the phone unusable. if you delete certain main system files, when the phone boots up it will go into a special screen showing you an error and installed apps. you will not be able to get out of it until the necessary system files are reinstalled. this happened to me when i had deleted two SMS cods with the intent on reinstalling a previous OS's sms cods. BBSAK wouldnt even recognize the phone at that point and i had to use CrackUtil to reinstall them. i suggest you not do it.
    03-20-10 04:08 PM
    Said Motorcycle Mama "And you can't set Opera Mini as the default browser."

To make a very bad analogy, the BIS browser is to BB like IE is to Windows. There are some things you just can't do through any other browser. It's part of the way things are done in BlackBerry land.
    Not the best analogy unfortunately. You can do everything with Windows without Internet Explorer including setting any browser to be the default browser. If you have Vista or Win 7, you can even delete IE and the system runs fine without it. Even in Win XP, the ONLY reason you needed IE was to get official Microsoft Updates.
    03-20-10 04:12 PM
    Not to mention streaming videos probably won't work. Every time you click on a YouTube video in Opera, it brings up the default browser.

03-20-10 04:53 PM
    Sure you can, get rid of net_rim_bb_browser_daemon and remove all Service Book records for the browsing service (correct me if I'm wrong).

To see what kind of effect this has on the device/software, enter the Engineering Screen and kill the process through the JVM options. Not only will you miss the feature of installing OTA, the media player won't work either. Accessing certain parts of the system will also make the device lock up.
    03-20-10 04:56 PM
    Not the best analogy unfortunately. You can do everything with Windows without Internet Explorer including setting any browser to be the default browser. If you have Vista or Win 7, you can even delete IE and the system runs fine without it. Even in Win XP, the ONLY reason you needed IE was to get official Microsoft Updates.
    Not the best reading comprehension, unfortunately
    03-20-10 05:08 PM
    Just don't use it, unless prompted to do so. Heck at one time I had the T-Mobile browser, BB, Opera5 and Bolt downloaded. I love Opera5, however was extremely glitchey on my 9700 for some reason. I could attribute to the fact it was/is Beta form, lol! Bolt is the main one I use now, but if watching youtube vids it will switch to the BB browser.

03-21-10 08:15 AM
    Thanks for the help, guys!
    03-21-10 06:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD