Well, I'm starting to wonder if I "need" or "use" a blackberry for what its really designed for. The Berry is really a business, socialite, work phone in my opinion. I've had various berries for two years now. Curve, Bold, Storm Curve II, to be exact. I began using a berry because it felt more mature for me to use one being a coach and teacher. Now that I'm not a head coach anymore and we have computers in our classrooms I don't see the practicality for me anymore I may get on average 2-3 "important" emails a week. The rest is just junk or spam. I do text alot. My players text me when they arent coming to practice or have concerns about the upcoming games. Other than that my email boxes are empty. I do put things into my calendar. But really my berry just sits there.

I'm not trying to convince myself to jump on the iphone bandwagon but should I look at maybe a lesser phone?
    10-18-09 07:59 PM
    If you can drop the Blackberry data plan and use it for simply
    phone, texting, internet via WiFi and still use the PDA functions,
    I'd say stay with it.

Even without a data plan and WiFi only it is still a very good unit.
    No sense in reinventing the wheel.
    10-18-09 08:03 PM
    Yeah, you will enjoy your bb even if you use it like a dumb phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 08:04 PM
    I could probably get by without a blackberry. But, I can afford it, and I enjoy it. So, is it practical? yes, because I deem it so!
    10-18-09 08:05 PM
    If you can drop the Blackberry data plan and use it for simply
    phone, texting, internet via WiFi and still use the PDA functions,
    I'd say stay with it.

Even without a data plan and WiFi only it is still a very good unit.
    No sense in reinventing the wheel.
    I could do that. However I have a Storm and Bold now. Sold my 8900 to my gfs brother. I have wifi at home but not at school. I just feel strange having a berry and I don't get many emails. Hate to say it but I feel like a "poser". Or as my students a "a swag jacker"

EDIT: a swag jacker is someone who takes someone elses style. At least thats what think it means per my students.
    10-18-09 08:08 PM
    I learned more in this single thread than I learned in the past hour of reading on CB. I now know what a swag jacker is. FTW!
    10-18-09 08:23 PM
    I learned more in this single thread than I learned in the past hour of reading on CB. I now know what a swag jacker is. FTW!
    I've been teaching for 13 years and learn new things from my students daily.

10-18-09 08:40 PM
    When I have a slow week, I use my Pearl without emails and it's nice to have a small phone but a BB because it's easy to use and has many functions that I'm friendly with.
    10-18-09 08:49 PM
    Hrrrmmm, let's think about this... I'm a berry user and a Mac user, so I'm kinda itchin to switch myself... Here's a list of stuff included on both: email, sms, mms, calendar, note pad, various applicaions for download that are just nifty, games and such, a phone with which you might make calls, the interweb, a camera, etc, etc, etc... Having been a teacher for 13 years, I presume you are in your middle to late 30s somewhere and not technophobic like our parents are and you're already accustomed to a touch screen device... So what does iPhone offer that your berry doesn't? Hrrmmm, how about a native browser that doesn't suck, extremely reliable software builds, slightly less ability to completely customize your OS--unless you're a hacker and a code writer while you're not teaching/coaching--like blackberry has hybrid OSes, etc., oh and don't forget iTunes as a media player, which you can totally synch every song in your library with, not just the unprotected mp3 files and again there aren't any bugs in the software for the mediaplayer either, up to 32 GB of storage and definitely a much cooler look than a berry... Assuming that your hesitation to jump to the iPhone stems from the fact that it is currently being oppressed by AT&T, then I would simply wait for the end of the year and see what officially develops between Apple and AT&T in so far as their exclusivity arrangement is concerned, 2010 may just usher in a fully unleashed iPhone revolution.

In conclusion, it is this author's humble opinion that you bide your time for a couple months and see what happens, maybe stay with your berry, maybe jump ship and go for the iPhone or maybe, just maybe, February 2010 will bring the iPhone to VZW, which means a new generation iPhone. Regardless of what many are supposing that VZW has decided recently concerning deals with Apple and Google--remember, they did fire their old CEO, the one who screwed up the original iPhone deal--VZW will be initiating their LTE network beginning next year and the grist in that rumor mill can be constituted into the iPhone LiTE. Furthermore, you could forget my advice and opt for an immediate conversion of your berry into "paperweight mode". Cheers!

10-19-09 03:17 AM
    iPhone bandwagon?! Nooo! Blackberry ftw, you use it for its practical use even if you dont realize it...
    10-19-09 07:17 AM
    I used my Storm for months without a BB plan but I did have a cheap data plan just for checking emails, weather and occasional youtube clips. I now have a Bold on BIS and my 'important' email count is about 5/day. But I'm enjoying my 50 or so subscription emails either to news websites, sports updates, weather, not to mention CB and other tech sites ie Phonedog, mobileburn etc. Sometimes I do feel like a poser but at least I don't have to be tied to my pc when I get home from work when I can read and respond/delete my emails throughout the day. Since I've had BIS I've reduced my monthly home internet bill by the same amount as BIS costs so it's a winner for me.

10-19-09 07:47 AM
    Yes I am in my mid 30s. Thirty-five to be exact. I'm not debating one or the other because I own the 2g iphone unlocked as well as my unlocked Bold. I am just wondering if I'm getting the usage a Blackberry was inteded for. My principal has one but she gets emails all day from the Central Office. My cousin in a lawyer and his firm issues Curves to all employees. So yes they are power Berry users. I get an ocasional email through my four set accounts. Nothing that requires an urgent response. I use my iphone during my plan periods to play card games or listen to music.

Is there any major upgrade to having an unlocked 3g anything on Tmobile? Should I just sell one and keep the other? I wish I got more email to justify needing a blackberry.

10-19-09 07:52 AM
    I feel your pain Mark..I am in the same boat....I always used a treo without data then got data for my moto q9m...I could live without it, but don't want to.....most of my emails are blog responses, but others from time to time are important.
    10-19-09 08:46 AM
    Tony its my practical capricorn nature that's got me questioning my berry. Its an awesome device and its a machine for its intended usage. I just don't think I fit the demographic.

10-19-09 09:05 AM
    To be honest, email is one of the lesser things I do on my Blackberry as well. But I love the keyboard- it makes texting so much more enjoyable. I keep my shopping lists on it, I use Socialscope for Twitter and Facebook. I use Viigo for news updates. To me, even though I don't use it primarily for what its famous for, it does a better job than anything else out there. So, if the expense of the plan isn't the driving force, I say- treat yourself! It's 'intended usage' is whatever you (the user) determine it to be.
    10-19-09 09:59 AM
    To be honest, email is one of the lesser things I do on my Blackberry as well. But I love the keyboard- it makes texting so much more enjoyable. I keep my shopping lists on it, I use Socialscope for Twitter and Facebook. I use Viigo for news updates. To me, even though I don't use it primarily for what its famous for, it does a better job than anything else out there. So, if the expense of the plan isn't the driving force, I say- treat yourself! It's 'intended usage' is whatever you (the user) determine it to be.
    That makes perfect sense! The plan isn't an issue. I'm not rich Lol. Poor teacher is my lot in life. I was just wondering if I needed a berry. I guess its what the user considers practical like you said. Its funny how my students remind me that touch screens are for them and "old" people my age should use buttons! Most of them have iphones G1s or some touch screen. Guess I'm the old guy with the berry.

10-19-09 10:23 AM
    what level do you teach that the kids have these devices?
    I remember the days of the beeper and how I wanted one and my parents said no LOL
    10-19-09 10:26 AM
    I agree with the above posters. Define practical? I use mine mainly for text, twitter, facebook and I prefer the AP news application over viigo(so far). So I'm constantly reading the news and borwsing other sites.

However! I think a person gets more "bang for buck" with the iphone. The brosing is superior and it does almost everything a blackberry will do. That being said... I prefer my blackberry for the buttons and little blinky light. But this is not a question of bb vs iphone. I would think you may use the bb more than you know. Don't let email intake define your bb use. Just enjoy it.

10-19-09 10:35 AM
    I agree with the above posters. Define practical? I use mine mainly for text, twitter, facebook and I prefer the AP news application over viigo(so far). So I'm constantly reading the news and borwsing other sites.

However! I think a person gets more "bang for buck" with the iphone. The brosing is superior and it does almost everything a blackberry will do. That being said... I prefer my blackberry for the buttons and little blinky light. But this is not a question of bb vs iphone. I would think you may use the bb more than you know. Don't let email intake define your bb use. Just enjoy it.

Thanks. I guess I've been thinking to critical of things. Btw I teach elementary and coach at the high school. Kids have better phones than the staff!

10-19-09 10:57 AM
    Hrrrmmm, let's think about this... I'm a berry user and a Mac user, so I'm kinda itchin to switch myself... Here's a list of stuff included on both: email, sms, mms, calendar, note pad, various applicaions for download that are just nifty, games and such, a phone with which you might make calls, the interweb, a camera, etc, etc, etc... Having been a teacher for 13 years, I presume you are in your middle to late 30s somewhere and not technophobic like our parents are and you're already accustomed to a touch screen device... So what does iPhone offer that your berry doesn't? Hrrmmm, how about a native browser that doesn't suck, extremely reliable software builds, slightly less ability to completely customize your OS--unless you're a hacker and a code writer while you're not teaching/coaching--like blackberry has hybrid OSes, etc., oh and don't forget iTunes as a media player, which you can totally synch every song in your library with, not just the unprotected mp3 files and again there aren't any bugs in the software for the mediaplayer either, up to 32 GB of storage and definitely a much cooler look than a berry... Assuming that your hesitation to jump to the iPhone stems from the fact that it is currently being oppressed by AT&T, then I would simply wait for the end of the year and see what officially develops between Apple and AT&T in so far as their exclusivity arrangement is concerned, 2010 may just usher in a fully unleashed iPhone revolution.

In conclusion, it is this author's humble opinion that you bide your time for a couple months and see what happens, maybe stay with your berry, maybe jump ship and go for the iPhone or maybe, just maybe, February 2010 will bring the iPhone to VZW, which means a new generation iPhone. Regardless of what many are supposing that VZW has decided recently concerning deals with Apple and Google--remember, they did fire their old CEO, the one who screwed up the original iPhone deal--VZW will be initiating their LTE network beginning next year and the grist in that rumor mill can be constituted into the iPhone LiTE. Furthermore, you could forget my advice and opt for an immediate conversion of your berry into "paperweight mode". Cheers!

The iphone definitly does not look as beutiful as the blackberry.

10-19-09 11:05 AM
    I don't get a lot of emails either, and I'm sure I could live without the data plan because I did before. But I've found it useful to be able to access Facebook, weather updates, news feeds, maps, yellow pages, etc... from my phone while on the go.
    10-19-09 11:16 AM
    Actually, I take that back. Several times this year I have been unable to watch a sporting event. If it weren't for my BB and ScoreMobile, I am pretty sure life would end.
    10-19-09 11:21 AM
    I think they both have an appeal however I wasn't trying to compare them. I already own both. Why you ask? Because I liked a little of both. My critical thinking of them came about when my principal asked why I carry a berry. She wanted to know if I had been issued one by the administration. I replied it was my personal phone. She asked why would I have it if I didn't get lots of emails. I replied it was for the text and loud speaker. But then I began thinking.

10-19-09 11:28 AM
    Mark, here is the thing. You are thinking of the BlackBerry the way
    it WAS marketed and what it's past demographic was.

With the release of the 8100 Pearl, that all changed.

Years ago only business people used a BlackBerry. Now with
    the addition of camera, media card, multimedia capability, the
    BlackBerry has made a definite shift to (a) younger and
    (b) non-professional user class.

My parents, both in their 70's have a BlackBerry. Neither gets
    much by way of email, but they use the rest of the features
    fully. Bible, shopping lists, sports, recipes, BBM (these people
    actually do group chats), web access and most of all the
    ever reliable phone (much to my personal consternation )

My youngest brother is a minister and he keep his congregation
    abreast my the use of Twitter and Facebook. He also gets almost
    no email.
    There is no longer a definable BlackBerry user.
    10-19-09 11:42 AM
    Wow your correct. I remember my lawyer cousin with his old blueberry. I wanted one back then but knew it was for business lawyer and medical demographic. I like the ringtones and how loud the speakers are. I really like the camera and built in mms. My 2g iphone doesn't have mms. I guess my bold is a keeper.

10-19-09 11:52 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD