Most of you guys probably know about the hack last week on so many devices. It appears the IoT is quite vulnerable to attack, being so insecure. I am wondering if BlackBerry, shifting into the software industry and already making its mark in the IoT via the trucking industry, can possibly find a way to leverage this situation into a way to increase market awareness for its security solution offerings.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-24-16 01:36 PM
    According to Dyn themselves a large proportion of the botnet which conducted the attack was hijacked by Mirai: https://www.flashpoint-intel.com/mir...-ddos-attacks/

The problem is, Mirai relies on factory default passwords which no one ever changes; common sense can't be packaged and sold.
    10-24-16 01:45 PM
    Most of you guys probably know about the hack last week on so many devices. It appears the IoT is quite vulnerable to attack, being so insecure. I am wondering if BlackBerry, shifting into the software industry and already making its mark in the IoT via the trucking industry, can possibly find a way to leverage this situation into a way to increase market awareness for its security solution offerings.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    It sounds like a solution they could provided.....

But then I imagine the cost of switching to a QNX based solution would not be viable for most of these device OEMs.
    10-24-16 01:57 PM
    The problem is, Mirai relies on factory default passwords which no one ever changes; common sense can't be packaged and sold.
    From what I've heard, it wasn't possible to change the Default password, though most still don't.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-16 03:05 PM
    From what I've heard, it wasn't possible to change the Default password, though most still don't.

Posted via CB10
    Manufacturer stupidity/laziness can't be solved that easily either.
    10-24-16 03:39 PM
    Anything that can access the internet needs to regulated to provide basic security. This should be a goldmine for BlackBerry

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-24-16 03:41 PM
    What... you don't think six digits is secure enough? Who is going to guess 1 2 3 4 5 6?
    10-24-16 03:46 PM
    What... you don't think six digits is secure enough? Who is going to guess 1 2 3 4 5 6?
    It's been done...

"password" too.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-24-16 03:48 PM