I used palm for years and loved the 3rd party app Datebook 4 (now 6). I find it hard to believe that there is not a decent calendar application for the BB. I've been using BB's for years and never used it as my calendar because the build in application is SOOOOOO bad. I find it completely unusable unless you are in front of your desktop. The color and icons of datebook are great. Anybody know of a calender program for the bb?
    01-12-08 12:05 PM
    I use Opera mini and Google Calendar.
    01-12-08 12:47 PM
    I think WebIS is developing a calendar application for the BB. It probably won't be anywhere close to DB6, but it will probably be an improvement. One thing that I remember reading is that it will use it's own database and syncing engine rather than the native BB db. (The say it's because the BB calendar db is weak.) I guess we can still hope for CESD to start developing for the BB.
    01-12-08 01:55 PM
    I use Outlook and it works great for me. I will have to look into Datebook 6
    01-12-08 01:58 PM
    I use Outlook and it works great for me. I will have to look into Datebook 6
    DateBk6 is a Palm OS application. It doesn't work on the desktop (except maybe in a Palm emulator, but then what's the point?)
    01-12-08 02:01 PM
    I too loved db6 and miss in a whole lot. There are deifinitely some things that my Treo was superior over the BB with, but all in all, I prefer my BB, well ..... because it works! Maybe now that BB is gearing more to consumers, there will be more 3rd party apps available.
    01-13-08 03:26 PM
    So, since I am new to BB please excuse my ignorance, the only way to enter appointments in my date book app is to do it by the BB itself. I don't sync with outlook becuase my CT won't give me access to install the software since I am never at one computer. I receive the emails from my work email, but that is all. There is no proprietary desktop software for datebook?

Thanks

Rob
    06-14-08 02:57 PM
    I use the calander that came with the BB. But it seems to only keep the appointments for 2 1/2 to 3 months at a time...

I have a card for extended memory, so I save hardly anything to the device memory. Know why it does this?
    06-14-08 03:07 PM
    I use the calander that came with the BB. But it seems to only keep the appointments for 2 1/2 to 3 months at a time...

I have a card for extended memory, so I save hardly anything to the device memory. Know why it does this?
    The memory doesn't factor into the equation, as you can't save anything there except music, ringtones, pics, vids, etc...

The reason it only keeps appointments for any length of time is a setting.
    In the calendar, press menu > options > scroll to Keep Appointments >
    press trackball, change it to forever, or whatever length of time you like.

Just keep in mind, as that database (for the calendar) grows it will
    eat into you available device memory.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-14-08 at 03:46 PM.
    06-14-08 03:40 PM
    The memory doesn't factor into the equation, as you can't save anything there except music, ringtones, pics, vids, etc...

The reason it only keeps appointments for any length of time is a setting.
    In the calendar, press menu > options > scroll to Keep Appointments >
    press trackball, change it to forever, or whatever length of time you like.

Just keep in mind, as that database (for the calendar) grows it will
    eat into you available device memory.
    Thanks. That was really useful.
    06-15-08 10:21 AM

I have a BB Bold.
    This is how I did it to keep my appointments:
    Go to BB Calendar --> Options --> General Options --> Keep Appointments --> you can choose from a list. The default is 30 days. If you want to keep all the appointments then choose "forever"
    02-21-09 11:29 AM
    I used palm for years and loved the 3rd party app Datebook 4 (now 6). I find it hard to believe that there is not a decent calendar application for the BB. I've been using BB's for years and never used it as my calendar because the build in application is SOOOOOO bad. I find it completely unusable unless you are in front of your desktop. The color and icons of datebook are great. Anybody know of a calender program for the bb?
    I have the Storm, and love everything about it, except the calendar/pim - which I use all the time.

Are there any rumours about anything (like DateBk) being developed for the Storm? Im surprised that more dont complain about the BB pim/pda, and Im also surprised that someone hasnt developed a decent pim app for the Storm yet.
    05-24-09 09:46 PM
    Not sure whether it is storm compatible, but pocket informant is about as close as I have found as far as a BB app similar to datebk6. It isn't a free app, but one of the few I was willing to pay for. It does color or icon coded categories among other features.

There is also agendus which I haven't used, and calendar pro which I was using for a while while it was in beta (may still be). It was looking very promising but I haven't heard of any progress or new releases in quite a while.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-09 02:18 AM
    I received a email from Pimlico Software back in March, and they are working on versions for Blackberry, Android, Symbian and Windows Mobile, which should be out sometime this year. I can't wait!!! I'm a very heavy calendar user. Anyone who has ever used one of the Datebooks knows that with its unbelievable amount of calendar configurations, that no other calendar app can touch it.
    06-22-09 12:39 AM
    I have been a Palm user for the longest time. Back in the days of the old Palm III, all the way to TX. I have had my Treo since it came out and used DATEBK on it. What prevented me from switching to BB was DATEBK, I loved it and it worked perfectly.

Now I have moved to Blackberry thinking there would be a similar software as Datebook. Alas, nothing. I can't wait until Pimlico releases the BB version of their popular software. I would stand in line to get it :-)
    12-04-09 02:08 AM
    Its almost the end of the year, and I havent heard anything about a BB version of DateBook yet. Ive had this discussion with many users on these forums, and most users think that the Calendar on the BB is just fine. But I think thats because most of them are long time BB users, and many have never even heard of DateBook.

My main complaint with this Storm is the Calendar app, and its also the app that I use most often. Not only is the BB Calendar app quite lame IMO, but I cant trust the data in it.

Ill probably be moving to the Droid early next year. But Ill do more research on the Android Calendar before I make the switch.

And if anybody has confirmed that Pimlico is planning to release DateBook for either the BB or Droid anytime soon, please let us know.
    12-04-09 09:29 AM
    I've been using Blackberry for two years now and have been hoping for Datebk on BB. Only people who have been power users of datebk really understand how bad Outlook is on BB.

Even though I have gotten used to the BB, it still makes no sense to me.

The floating appointment feature on Datebk is still unique to Datebk. That was the single most powerful tool I've ever used on any PIM.

i wish I could float appointments on BB.
    12-30-09 11:17 PM
    I've been using Blackberry for two years now and have been hoping for Datebk on BB. Only people who have been power users of datebk really understand how bad Outlook is on BB.

Even though I have gotten used to the BB, it still makes no sense to me.

The floating appointment feature on Datebk is still unique to Datebk. That was the single most powerful tool I've ever used on any PIM.

i wish I could float appointments on BB.
    Ya, I loved that feature. I hate having to go thru the calendar and move unfinished appts to the next day. Ive had the Storm over a year now, and it still amazes me how most users think that this calendar app is good enough. And it is surprising that nobody has written a decent calendar app for the Storm. I like the Storm, but the lame calendar app seems like an afterthought and not a very important feature of the phone. And most users on these forums dont seem to even know that it could be so much better.
    12-30-09 11:34 PM
    Ya, I loved that feature. I hate having to go thru the calendar and move unfinished appts to the next day. Ive had the Storm over a year now, and it still amazes me how most users think that this calendar app is good enough. And it is surprising that nobody has written a decent calendar app for the Storm. I like the Storm, but the lame calendar app seems like an afterthought and not a very important feature of the phone. And most users on these forums dont seem to even know that it could be so much better.
    I've also been surprised that most BB users satisfied with the BB calendar app. I traded some emails with the owner of Pimlico a couple years ago begging him to port Datebk to BB. He said that he would do iPhone first since the BB would be a smaller market than iPhone. Here we are two years later and the BB outsells the iPhone. There's no Datebk for iPhone either.

I think/believe part of the reason there isn't a better 3rd party calendar app is that the BB operating system and software development tools are pretty bad. I mean look how hard it is to customize the "desktop" on the BB. Thank God for djmarcox's Today theme. That's a must have for me.
    12-31-09 12:04 AM
    I've also been surprised that most BB users satisfied with the BB calendar app. I traded some emails with the owner of Pimlico a couple years ago begging him to port Datebk to BB. He said that he would do iPhone first since the BB would be a smaller market than iPhone. Here we are two years later and the BB outsells the iPhone. There's no Datebk for iPhone either.

I think/believe part of the reason there isn't a better 3rd party calendar app is that the BB operating system and software development tools are pretty bad. I mean look how hard it is to customize the "desktop" on the BB. Thank God for djmarcox's Today theme. That's a must have for me.
    If anyone is still reading this thread, I've been in the same boat (lived by Datebk6 on the Palm). I'm now carrying a BB, and have been looking for something to enhance the painfully basic calendar, and to-do pims. I'm trying out Pocket Informant (by WebIS) on it's 21 day free trial (remember those from the palm days?). Anyway, i was instantly amazed at how much more detail that little screen can hold! This app cetainly maximizes the info to screen realestate ratio. The todo management part (which is what I originally was looking for) is an order of magnitude better than the default pim. It also syncs to the native todo pim, which in my case then syncs to Outlook via BES. One of the other really nice features of the old Datebk was templates. Pocket Informant has this feature. I'm only in day 2 of my trial, but so far, I'm really impressed and feel that this app reminds me a lot of those good 'ol days on the Palm. Worth checking out for sure.

02-24-10 07:05 PM
    If anyone is still reading this thread, I've been in the same boat (lived by Datebk6 on the Palm). I'm now carrying a BB, and have been looking for something to enhance the painfully basic calendar, and to-do pims. I'm trying out Pocket Informant (by WebIS) on it's 21 day free trial (remember those from the palm days?). Anyway, i was instantly amazed at how much more detail that little screen can hold! This app cetainly maximizes the info to screen realestate ratio. The todo management part (which is what I originally was looking for) is an order of magnitude better than the default pim. It also syncs to the native todo pim, which in my case then syncs to Outlook via BES. One of the other really nice features of the old Datebk was templates. Pocket Informant has this feature. I'm only in day 2 of my trial, but so far, I'm really impressed and feel that this app reminds me a lot of those good 'ol days on the Palm. Worth checking out for sure.

Good info. Does Pocket Informant sync up with calendar totally? Like meeting invites (accept meetings) and other Outlook stuff? I'm also on BES.
    02-24-10 11:03 PM
    - shadysprings:
    Good question. I've mostly been messing around with the tasks.
    However, with Outlook, when a meeting invite comes in via email, it places it on your calendar, marked as Tentative. Since PIBB syncs (seemingly in near real-time) to BB's native calendar, PIBB picks it up and also shows it (as tentative).
    Keep in mind that PIBB has a couple of sync options - you can sync directly to Outlook, which requires a piece of software from WebIS. This scenario captures most (all?) of the Outlook attribute data into the PIBB database. This option, however, from what I understand, doesn't work with BES. Instead, I use the "local sync" option, which like the old palm days, duplicates the info stored in the native pim database (which is limited) in a second database (PIBB). This seems to work well for me so far. The only potential issue that has been identified by WebIS (the developer) is that recurring tasks may not regenerate properly if marked complete within PIBB. I have not seen this - I checked one off in PIBB, and it seems to have regenerated properly in PIBB, AND in Outlook.
    Hope that helps.
    03-01-10 03:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD