Hi guys,

I have a question that I haven't been able to answer myself by reading different threads on Crackberry, so I decided to register and ask the question myself. Hope u forgive me

I'm from Holland and I'm travelling to Florida tomorrow. Ofcourse i want to take my beloved blackberry bold 9780 with me. What I don't want is a skyhigh bill when i return due to dataservices. I only want to connect via wi-fi to do some basic web browsing. So i figured this would to the trick (but i'm not sure)

Mobile network: ON
    Dataservices: ON
    During Roaming: OFF!

would this be sufficient to NOT be charged for data and still be able to browse the web via wifi? Or can i also turn off mobile network since i'm not planning to make calls?

thanks in advance
    12-22-10 06:56 AM
    Your settings are correct, to go one step further you can disable the mobile network. I do this all the time when traveling in the USA and have never got charge over my normal bill amount.

Please note some items like FaceBook and Twitter might not work, but browser and bbm should work no issues.
    12-22-10 07:13 AM
    Thanks, but I have one more question. If i remove my sim im still able to use the browser but BBM won't work. How's that? To me (a newbie) turning of the mobile network would be the same as removing the sim. But with mobile netwerk turned off, BBM DOES work. So isnt that a bit fishy in terms of possible datacosts?
    12-22-10 07:24 AM
    Nope, sim needs to stay in as bbm uses rims servers, you need your sim to prove you pay for the service and are activated on a BIS.

Data while roaing off and mobile network off with sim in is your answer.

Not much you can do, if you're scared, don't do it.
    That's all I can say.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Fubaz; 12-22-10 at 07:42 AM.
    bmnkvld likes this.
    12-22-10 07:39 AM
    thanks for your help!
    12-22-10 07:45 AM
    You can also check your service status through manage connections, and you will see that WiFi has taken over.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Fubaz; 12-22-10 at 08:02 AM.
    12-22-10 08:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD