Hello,

I've been told by a Rogers rep that if I decide to use my wifi while roaming, I won't be able to use my BIS related softwares (like e-mail, or BBM) however when I was in New York, I changed my Data Service to "Off when Roaming" and obviously it was not working.

When I turned on wifi and connected, I was able to download my e-mails and BBM messages as if it was connected regularly on the Rogers network.

So, I am a little confused as to what REALLY happens when I have wifi, does BIS work or not?

Also, when I came back home, I turned off data services and connected to my home wifi however neither BIS related worked (e-mail or BBM) so that confused me more...

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks
    03-02-09 11:44 PM
    That's weird... Well, typically most Rogers reps really don't know what they're talking about. I had one of them tell me that the Bold was $50 more expensive because it was newer than the 8900, and that they had all the same features... So take what they say with a grain of salt most times.

I was under the impression that connected through WiFi (or UMA) you would be connected to the BIS because it doesn't cost Rogers any more (infrastructure wise) and they really can't tell where you are. So it makes sense that it would work, but weird that it no longer worked when you got back...
    03-03-09 10:30 AM
    They surely have no clue of what they're talking about!
    03-03-09 01:20 PM
    I'm on the older slower Nextel network and the data provisioning could be different from Rogers, I'm not sure.

Between work and home I'm always on Wi-Fi and the Network radio is always on, I never shut it off and my BIS and personal email come in regularly on Wi-Fi. Ask another rep and see what you get for an answer.
    03-03-09 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD