I have never had a posh phone before that does more than make a call and send a text .
    I have a blackberry now, and I'm a bit confused by data and wifi. I have 500MB data and unlimited wifi. I'm not actually sure what this means. I don't want to end up being charged for using the internet. In as simple words as possible please, I'm not technically minded!!
    Can I go on the internet as part of my tariff?
    What is data compared to wifi?
    I just thought the internet was one big thing
    02-07-11 05:23 PM
    Your data plan allows you a specific amount of data in your case, 500mb using the service provider BIS - BlackBerry Internet Service. If you exceed that amount of data you get charged an additional amount per the terms of your service agreement. When you connect to the Internet using 2G or 3G you are using part of your data allowance. If you connect to the Internet using a wifi connection, the data does not utilize your service providers BIS and you will charged for that. You need to make sure that you use a wifi connection whenever possible to help prevent exceeding your data limits. With a wifi connection, you can use all the data you want. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by DawgMan; 02-07-11 at 05:35 PM.
    02-07-11 05:32 PM
    How do I know whether I'm using data or wifi?
    02-07-11 05:35 PM
    What DawgMan says is spot on.

You can download an App from Apworld called Mobile Data Alerter which will keep track of all your Wifi and wireless data.

If your on Wifi don't worry about a thing. You can set a limit on the alerter that will warn you when you get near your usage using wireless.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-11 05:41 PM
    If Wifi is on and connected, the device will default to a wifi connection.

02-07-11 05:44 PM
    It says wifi in the corner of my screen... I assume that will go away if I'm not connected to wifi?

Sorry but I am extremely lacking in technical know-how. I'm 23 but assume I have the knowledge of my granny when it comes to phones
    02-07-11 05:47 PM
    If you look at the screen on your device, you'll see the wifi icon, if it's grey and kind of in the background, then you are not using an active wifi connection. If the wifi icon is highlighted and bright, you are using an active wifi connection.

Also, data is the information that passes between the Internet and the device. Wifi just means you connect to the Internet using a wireless method like a wireless router or modem, wireless hotspot like at many coffee shops and book stores. A wifi connection still involves data transfer, but since it is not being passed through your carriers BIS, you are not charged for it.
    Last edited by DawgMan; 02-07-11 at 05:55 PM.
    02-07-11 05:48 PM
    If you look at the screen on your device, you'll see the wifi icon, if it's grey and kind of in the background, then you are not using an active wifi connection. If the wifi icon is highlighted and bright, you are using an active wifi connection.
    Sorry, forgot to mention that!!!

02-07-11 05:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD