Canival cruise states:

Can I use my cell phone on the ship?

Yes, Carnival Cruise Lines has completed the fleetwide implementation of cell phone service aboard all 22 of the ships in our fleet. Please note that international roaming charges will apply.

does anyone know if you can use the data servies on the phone, specifically a VZW WE 8830?

thanks!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-20-09 at 03:24 PM.
    04-20-09 03:15 PM
    I would say if you can get service it is possible but with a big fee, but I have found it extremely hard in the past to even get cell service out to sea, let alone data. Save it for your ports of call.
    04-20-09 03:25 PM
    there is cell service on the ships. i will have a global data plan to cover international data charges.

i am just wondering if the cell service provided on the ship is for voice only? or will i be able to use data?

i can't save it for my ports! i'm addicted! lol
    04-20-09 03:31 PM
    Hi

Yes you can but often times it is extremely slow.

I was recently using the MCP.maritime.com satellite network on a ship and it was soooo slow.

On land things will be much much better
    04-20-09 03:31 PM
    i really just want to use email and bbm...

any experience with those?
    04-20-09 03:32 PM
    no as my parents didnt take me with them last month

dam dogs
    04-20-09 03:37 PM
    Email and BBM went fine, BBM was slowish but not too bad. It was mainly trying to surf the web which was very slow.

Signal can be lost qiute a bit too.

I just did a quick google and it seems Carnival uses the Maritime Telecommunications Network which seems to be a broadband satellite service so look into that if you can
    04-20-09 03:43 PM
    awesome, i will! thanks a lot!

that is good to know. i won't be web surfing. mostly BBM and Email so yay!

i found this so far:
    Customers Can Now Use Their Cell Phones Aboard Carnival's Cruise Ships

The new fleetwide cellular phone service requires no additional software or special dialing procedures – guests simply make and receive calls as well as transmit text and multimedia messages as they would on land using their personal cell phone. International roaming fees apply to all shipboard cell phone calls.

getting closer. it didn't mention email data. but i assume so since MMS is mentioned...
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-20-09 at 03:49 PM.
    04-20-09 03:46 PM
    OK here you go

MTN is now SeaMobile - www.seamobile.com

NOW RENAMED

SeaMobile

See if you can confirm that Carnival uses this. EDIT : Scrap that it does its mentioned in the very bottom of the link you posted (maritime Telecommunications Network)
    Last edited by Hazysky; 04-20-09 at 03:58 PM.
    04-20-09 03:56 PM
    when i went on carnival i used my 8830 with sprint and it was just fine, i got email and bbm, i never tried to use the web tho, im not big on browsing the web on my berry
    04-20-09 04:04 PM
    I can't find it right now---perhaps someone else may be able to. But there was a post a while back about using the wifi/uma onboard the ship to make calls without incurring roaming fees. That may be an option also.
    04-20-09 04:12 PM
    when i went on carnival i used my 8830 with sprint and it was just fine, i got email and bbm, i never tried to use the web tho, im not big on browsing the web on my berry
    awesome! thanks for letting me know! i was looking for someone with personal experience with this as well!

Last edited by chrisy520; 04-20-09 at 04:33 PM.
    04-20-09 04:29 PM
    I can't find it right now---perhaps someone else may be able to. But there was a post a while back about using the wifi/uma onboard the ship to make calls without incurring roaming fees. That may be an option also.
    that's cool. i don't have wifi since i have a vzw blackberry. but that is good to know for those that DO have it! thanks!
    04-20-09 04:30 PM
    Canival cruise states:

Can I use my cell phone on the ship?

Yes, Carnival Cruise Lines has completed the fleetwide implementation of cell phone service aboard all 22 of the ships in our fleet. Please note that international roaming charges will apply.

does anyone know if you can use the data servies on the phone, specifically a VZW WE 8830?

thanks!
    Chrisy520.... You've got way too much time on your hands. And you call me a GEEK. lmao
    04-23-09 01:54 PM
    Chrisy520.... You've got way too much time on your hands. And you call me a GEEK. lmao
    LOL! what is better than sitting on a lounge chair, facing the salty blue ocean breeze and checking my netflix queue!? maybe some emailing. that sounds great to me!

yeah, i have a lot of time on my hands! i like it that way!

04-23-09 02:00 PM
    Just got off the phone with VZW Global Department. They said VZW does not have a data agreement on Carnival Cruise so that i won't be able to use data on the ship. Does that sound right?

Anyone experience anything different?

i have the Global Email set up to activate when i'm in port (2 days: Cozumel and Cayman) but i don't want to get on the boat and find that i CAN use data but didn't have the plan set up for those days.

Thanks for any insight!
    07-24-09 08:31 AM
    I got a call recently that someone went on a cruise just off the east coast for serveral days and ended up with 600 dollars in overages so... make sure its legit before you start using. Try callin global again and see if a different rep gives you the same info
    07-24-09 08:36 AM
    Cruise Ship Coverage

Roaming Rate: $2.49 per minute

Text Messaging Rates:
    $0.50/address sent
    $0.05/message received

Voice and Text Messaging only

Keep in mind that if data works then it will. So the response given is correct.

Source www.vzw.com/international
    Last edited by lastraid; 07-24-09 at 08:39 AM.
    07-24-09 08:36 AM
    Thanks so much, Lastraid! So that confirms it! i hope i dont freak out from BBM withdrawls and jump overboard. i'll bring a waterproof case for my blackberry just in case!

at least i can use on land!

EDIT: what do you mean "keep in mind that if data works then it will" ???
    07-24-09 08:38 AM
    Thanks so much, Lastraid! So that confirms it! i hope i dont freak out from BBM withdrawls and jump overboard. i'll bring a waterproof case for my blackberry just in case!

at least i can use on land!

EDIT: what do you mean "keep in mind that if data works then it will" ???
    What this means is that we do not have agreements, does not it will not work. line tethering a BB to a MAC - VZW does not support it, does not mean one cannot get it to work.

In my experience though, I have not seen data work off a ships towers. Also beofre you use you device in a port, make sure the ship turned off its cell tower. They usually do, but if they doint you might get that 2.49 per minute. SO get away from the ship before makeing calls
    07-24-09 08:47 AM
    What this means is that we do not have agreements, does not it will not work. line tethering a BB to a MAC - VZW does not support it, does not mean one cannot get it to work.

In my experience though, I have not seen data work off a ships towers. Also beofre you use you device in a port, make sure the ship turned off its cell tower. They usually do, but if they doint you might get that 2.49 per minute. SO get away from the ship before makeing calls
    Oh gotcha! Thanks for the tip! i won't be making ANY calls (unless i'm being abducted, seriously) just want to use data. i'll miss CrackBerry!

But i don't want any surprise huge bills! i only have the Global Plan for 2 days so even if data looks like it may work on the ship, i will resist! ha
    07-24-09 08:54 AM
    This story is an example of cruise ship data charges gone horribly wrong.

Man charged $28,000 for using data card, Slingbox to watch football game

Just be careful, lol.
    Last edited by cenloe; 07-24-09 at 09:20 AM.
    07-24-09 09:18 AM
    This story is an example of cruise ship data charges gone horribly wrong.

Man charged $28,000 for using data card, Slingbox to watch football game
    LOL! Thanks for the link. That is what i want to avoid! i'm nervous!
    07-24-09 09:20 AM
    Well if they do have data the international data plan should cover it right? Maybe you should just pay for the international data plan starting on the day you board, just to be sure.
    07-24-09 09:26 AM
    Well if they do have data the international data plan should cover it right? Maybe you should just pay for the international data plan starting on the day you board, just to be sure.
    Yes, i thought about doing that. But i'm thrifty so i just added for the 2 days. i'll turn my bb off while at sea. ewww
    07-24-09 09:33 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD