I've read/heard so many different things about the difference between 5gb and unlimited. I just wanted someone to clear things up for.

I technically have an unlimited data plan, but u.s cellular warned me not to stream youtube or movies or download because I'll go over the gb. I've heard things like data is unlimited on the blackberry, but there's a 5gb limit through tethering. Then I've heard its 5gb on the phone AND tethering. So which is right?

My main thing is I'd like to watch youtube videos on just my phone. I don't have tethering what so ever, but I didn't know if it was all really "unlimited"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-10 08:30 AM
    This is more of a general Blackberry question, and not specific to the CB website so I am going to move this to BB General Discussion. It will get more traffic there also.
    06-02-10 09:41 AM
    It really depends on your carrier. Technically all carriers seem to have a 5GB rule but if you are just using your data on your phone you will be fine.
    06-02-10 11:31 AM
    Best to check with your carrier in regards to what your data limits are, in most cases, tethering is not unlimited.
    06-02-10 12:51 PM
    I'm also with USCC. I don't think I have ever gone over 2GB even with streaming some youtube videos, or playing music via Pandora or SiriusXM. It's pretty tough to get up to 5GB on these things.

That being said, I would think they do monitor the amount of usage and might think you are tethering if you reach 5GB. They would probably hit you up with either the tethering fee, or an overage fee if your using is that high (especially if up there more than one billing cycle).
    06-02-10 04:35 PM
    I'm with Sprint and the data plan is unlimited, however the data through tethering is limited to 5 GB. I can use unlimited on my BB, but for tethering I would be limited to the 5GB cap. But I think that is specific to the carrier. I have read on here that Verizon is a stickler when it comes to this.

06-03-10 06:07 AM
    I occasionally stream videos and music, use the internet all the time and I've never gone over 250mb. I think I'd need to be streaming 24x7 to hit 5gb. Having said that, your provider should give you a way to monitor your usage (with my provider it's updated at the end of each day on their website) so you can watch it to get an idea of how much you're using.
    06-03-10 01:00 PM
    USCC watches your 5GB cap closely, but interestingly enough, won't cut you off until you've gotten up in the 6GB range. Then you will quickly find out when you call to find out why it's not working that every MB over 5GB will be charged at $.49. That doesn't sound like a whole lot until you figure how many MBs are in one GB. We ran a test on a USB modem and discovered this. My question to USCC was "If you can cut it off at 6.2GB, why can't you cut it off at 5GB?" Of course, no answer, that would cut into a serious revenue stream.
    06-03-10 03:42 PM
    I occasionally stream videos and music, use the internet all the time and I've never gone over 250mb. I think I'd need to be streaming 24x7 to hit 5gb. Having said that, your provider should give you a way to monitor your usage (with my provider it's updated at the end of each day on their website) so you can watch it to get an idea of how much you're using.
    How much content do you download? I download a lot of podcasts, maybe four daily. They vary around 10-50 MB per podcast. I can use 250 MB in a half a week easy.

06-04-10 09:11 AM
    I'm with Sprint and the data plan is unlimited, however the data through tethering is limited to 5 GB. I can use unlimited on my BB, but for tethering I would be limited to the 5GB cap. But I think that is specific to the carrier. I have read on here that Verizon is a stickler when it comes to this.

Verizon's data plan is truly unlimited as long as the phone is the only device pulling data.

Phone data plan = Unlimited/month
    Tethering data plan = 5GB/month
    06-04-10 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD