Ok so I used to have the pearl with verizon and this phone was a tank I loved it. It went through the washer twice and flew off the top of my car once. I have an iPhone now and the only prob is that I don't get service at work. So I would like to go back to verizon and get the 3G curve. My question is if me and my gf are on a family plan and we both have blackberrys do we need to pay for one or two data plans?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-10 12:54 AM
    You would need two data plans. Especially if you both want email and bbm working
    12-23-10 12:56 AM
    VZW requires a data plan for any smartphone used on their network.

12-23-10 01:03 AM
    If you're looking to save a little money, Verizon recently followed suit with ATT and started offering tiered data plans. You can get 150mb of monthly data usage for $15, or you can do the unlimited for $30. The plans are device specific, so like aznlgcy & lak611 said, you will need a data plan for each device.

I recently switched to the 150mb plan myself. I went back thru my past 6 or 7 bills, and even with all the BBMing, Facebooking, and Tweeting, the most data I ever used in a month was 135mb. BB's are really data efficient, plus the BB's on VZW are all WiFi capable, and when you're hooked up via WiFi, everything sent or received is free with the exception of a couple BB apps that require the data to go over the carrier network. My BB is not WiFi, so that 135mb was all over the carrier network, I couldn't imagine how low it would be if I had WiFi...
    12-23-10 08:39 AM
    Sweet thanks guys. I really don't mind paying the extra money for two data plans. Is verizon the best ppl to go with? And are all carriers like that u have to have a data plan per phone cause u don't have to with the iPhone.

12-23-10 10:08 AM
    Sweet thanks guys. I really don't mind paying the extra money for two data plans. Is verizon the best ppl to go with? And are all carriers like that u have to have a data plan per phone cause u don't have to with the iPhone.

Yes, all carriers are like that, and it is even that way with the iPhone. Family data plans are only for use on standard phones, when you upgrade to a smartphone (iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows, Android, Nokia, etc) you are required to carry a specific data plan for that line. The iPhone is no different, at least when it's through AT&T in the US.

I've got Verizon and couldn't be happier. Never had any signal issue, customer service has always been great (with the exception of one time). They offer a fine service.
    Last edited by elvin1983; 12-23-10 at 10:13 AM.
    12-23-10 10:11 AM
    Some lower cell phone companies offer social plans that have just IM, BBM, and all the social networking stuff. I've had verizon for the last 8 years and cant remember any dropped calls and their network coverage is huge in the U.S. You have a 30 day test drive so give it a shot and see if it works for you.
    12-23-10 10:12 AM
    BTW Verizon, if you want to stay with them, will unlock your phone for free. &ATT vice versa. Unless its a CDMA/GSM issue
    Last edited by doubledecker; 12-23-10 at 10:26 AM.
    12-23-10 10:23 AM
    Tmobile also offers a lower data plan. It is $10 for 200mb per device.
    12-23-10 10:47 AM
    Tmobile also offers a lower data plan. It is $10 for 200mb per device.
    It should be noted that it is only available for $10 if you sign up for an "Even More" plan. If you are currently on TMO, and you have an older plan, the 200mb of data is $15.
    12-23-10 10:52 AM
    My wife has a BB and used a mere 92 MB with no WiFi. I also have a BB and used 490 MB. It all depends on your usage. Since I picked up an iPad, I don't use my BB for the web much any more, so my data is down...but be aware of your usage.

Is the Pearl 3G out for Verizon yet? I am loving my Curve 3G and my wife lives and swears by her Bold 9650.

12-23-10 12:29 PM
    I wasn't looking for so much as the price I just wanted to know does bb work better under wich network?

12-23-10 01:38 PM
    HI. I'd like to hi-jack this thread to ask a question, more specifically towards what elvin said.

It should be noted that it is only available for $10 if you sign up for an "Even More" plan. If you are currently on TMO, and you have an older plan, the 200mb of data is $15.
    I'm on an even more plan with Tmobile, but I don't have a data plan. I just use the wifi at my house and surrounding locations. My question is how much is 200mb of data plan access? The reason I ask is because I really only use the internet on my phone to get new apps, check email/facebook, and check a few other things like ebay. I dont tweet or bbm, and I rarely watch video.

Would 200mb be a reasonable amount of data to occupy me for the month in your opinion? Obviously you don't know my specific uses, but just an idea of how large 200mb is, I'd appreciate it.
    12-23-10 01:52 PM
    My wife has a BB and used a mere 92 MB with no WiFi. I also have a BB and used 490 MB. It all depends on your usage. Since I picked up an iPad, I don't use my BB for the web much any more, so my data is down...but be aware of your usage.

Is the Pearl 3G out for Verizon yet? I am loving my Curve 3G and my wife lives and swears by her Bold 9650.

The Pearl 3G is not currently out for Verizon, and there hasn't been any word when they will be launching a version of that model. I would imagine that they will sometime soon, my wife will be happy...

I wasn't looking for so much as the price I just wanted to know does bb work better under wich network?

It really depends on your location and what company has the best service in that area. If you've had ATT for quite some time and you're satisfied with the service you've received, then there's really no reason to switch. If I understand it correctly, Sprint has a smaller coverage area comapred to ATT. The majority of people I know with Sprint haven't had any issues.
    12-23-10 01:52 PM
    HI. I'd like to hi-jack this thread to ask a question, more specifically towards what elvin said.

I'm on an even more plan with Tmobile, but I don't have a data plan. I just use the wifi at my house and surrounding locations. My question is how much is 200mb of data plan access? The reason I ask is because I really only use the internet on my phone to get new apps, check email/facebook, and check a few other things like ebay. I dont tweet or bbm, and I rarely watch video.

Would 200mb be a reasonable amount of data to occupy me for the month in your opinion? Obviously you don't know my specific uses, but just an idea of how large 200mb is, I'd appreciate it.
    Based on your brief description of your usage, 200MB should be more than sufficient. There isn't a real gage that you can use to tell you how much data 200mb is, it's all based on the things that you do on your phone, and the platform that you run. As it was described on the blog posts back when ATT released their tiered plans, there are alot of BB users out there that can take advantage of the lower priced plans simply because their devices don't burn through data the same way an iPhone or an Android does. Since BlackBerrys compress their data before they send it they are up to 3 times more efficient than the other smartphone platforms. Here's the blog post.

The major things that consume data are streaming video (YouTube), streaming audio (Pandora), and GPS (Google Maps). If you're someone who is ALWAYS listening to Pandora radio, it's highly recommended that you get an unlimited data plan, because you'll no doubt burn through your 200mb pretty quickly. Same can be said for those other applications.

I do just about everything from my BB. I've got one e-mail account linked to it, I don't download a ton of apps, but I probably download a handful every month, including updates. BBM is my main form of communication, I also use Facebook which updates itself every 3 hours, plus I receive the push notifications. My Twitter updates hourly, same with my BerryWeather. I occasionally use my broswer, mostly for ESPN, mobile banking, crackberry, etc, but I don't use it very often. I watch a handful of YouTube videos in a month, and I use Google Maps occasionally as well, and BlackBerry Traffic, and like I said, I've never gone over 135mb, and I don't have WiFi. Based on what you're telling me on your useage, you should be perfectly fine with the 200mb data plan.

And I wouldn't consider this a hijack of the thread, it is relevant to what we're talking about.
    Last edited by elvin1983; 12-23-10 at 02:09 PM.
    12-23-10 02:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD