What exactly aside from check my email can I do with a data plan that I can't do now? I hadn't really even considered a data plan until lately. However, I'm a teacher and around a computer every day at work and at home.

And what does each of you pay for your data plan?
    06-26-08 01:15 AM
    Blackberry Messenger and Internet browsing are two of the big ones. Also web based weather applications, RSS feeds, and streaming video.
    06-26-08 01:24 AM
    Each carrier has different rates I think tmo has the cheapest unliited data. I have unlimited data and messaging with ATT and pay 50 for it. You need the data plan for things like bb messenger, the IM services and other functions.
    06-26-08 01:29 AM
    Each carrier has different rates I think tmo has the cheapest unliited data. I have unlimited data and messaging with ATT and pay 50 for it. You need the data plan for things like bb messenger, the IM services and other functions.
    That's what I was thinking it'd be pricewise. That just seems like a lot of money to spend on something I don't need. I'm really only gone from the house an hour here and an hour there. During the school year, my laptop is near me all day. The GPS would be handy, but we only go out of town to unfamiliar locations a couple 3-4 times a year.
    06-26-08 01:32 AM
    I am like you and around a computer all day. Like previous poster said it depends on your carrier. I have the family unlimited from tmobile and so I get everything for one price excpet email and internet (data plan). I pay 9.99 to get up to 10 emails dumped to my bb (no size limits). Included in my unlimited messaging bundle is bb messenger and sms text messages. I also get messengers because I use the versions that use sms to send messages.

However I do have the curve 8320 so I am able to pick up wi-fi all over campus while i am at work, out and about when available.

So it just depends on why you want data for me I dont need it!
    06-26-08 01:39 AM
    If you don't think you need the data plan, don't get it. Your choice. But without it you are only realizing a small part of the device's potential.
    06-26-08 01:41 AM
    I pay 99 bucks a month. That's for the nationwide data/ voice, unlimited. That's unlimited talk, text, internet, mms. Only problem is cellular south is so far behind other carriers in getting new phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-08 02:01 AM
    I pay 50 dollars a month with att that's messaging and data. If you want to get a data plan get one. There is so much you can do on a blackberry. There are so many cool applications that you can use with the data. I personally love the crackberry icon, Viigo, yellow pages, weather bug direct, and last but no least facebook hope I helped.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-08 02:56 AM
    06-26-08 06:46 AM
    Verizon charges $30 a month for RIM's unlimited data plan.
    06-26-08 09:53 AM
    I am like you and around a computer all day. Like previous poster said it depends on your carrier. I have the family unlimited from tmobile and so I get everything for one price excpet email and internet (data plan). I pay 9.99 to get up to 10 emails dumped to my bb (no size limits). Included in my unlimited messaging bundle is bb messenger and sms text messages. I also get messengers because I use the versions that use sms to send messages.

However I do have the curve 8320 so I am able to pick up wi-fi all over campus while i am at work, out and about when available.

So it just depends on why you want data for me I dont need it!
    Hey!! Just had a quick question for you about the way you have your plan setup. On my family plan we have unlimited messaging for the family. This includes SMS and MMS. The way you make it sound, you can use BB Messenger and AIM using the unlimited messaging?? How do you go about doing this??

Also, with the $9.99 email only addon... does that allow you to activate OTA applications, etc if you download them when on WiFi. I opted out of my data plan for now so I can afford other things... and I use WiFi primarily. The only thing I run in to is not being able to activate applications, such as GMail (and others) because you need to have a data plan to activate them initially.

With the $9.99 email addon, can you activate apps??

Also, how do you do the messaging with the unlimiting messaging bundle?

Thanks!
    06-26-08 10:14 AM
    I hate how cell companies are charging so much for data plans. I wish they had some sort of unlimited deal on everything(min,txt,email, web) that didn't kill your wallet.
    06-26-08 10:21 AM
    Even though I am around computers non stop I like having a data plan (ATT $35 for 5GB/mo), it is very convenient to access the web for anything you need anywhere (couldn't live without it).
    06-26-08 08:33 PM
    I hate how cell companies are charging so much for data plans. I wish they had some sort of unlimited deal on everything(min,txt,email, web) that didn't kill your wallet.
    I pay $45 total after tax for my phone/unlimited data with Telus. The data portion actually only costs me $18 ($15 for data & $3 for txt).

I agree with the earlier post about how great a data plan is. I use Viigo, BB messenger, Weathereye, BB maps, Google Sync, Yahoo messenger not to mention the web browser. I can't imagine not having a data plan.
    06-26-08 09:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD