Ok so I paid $39.99 thru TMobile to have a data pack on my phone. I've since cancelled it however because I have wifi in my home, I'm still able to do everything.

I have never been anywhere (park, mall, restaurant, driving, etc) that my wifi didn't work. The page load rate is identical as well.

So why do people pay for the data pack instead of using wifi? I'm confuzzled and must be missing something.
    05-09-09 03:19 PM
    The primary reason is to use BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS).

When BIS is active, all of your data is delivered directly to the device. That is what makes BlackBerry so special in the competitive business world.

In your case, you should have a working Hotspot Browser. That will let you use it with Wifi for general Internet access and access to web based email.

05-09-09 03:27 PM
    The primary reason is to use BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS).

When BIS is active, all of your data is delivered directly to the device. That is what makes BlackBerry so special in the competitive business world.

In your case, you should have a working Hotspot Browser. That will let you use it with Wifi for general Internet access and access to web based email.

Not sure how it works with your carrier, but with Rogers AT &T (Canada) you don't need a WAP data plan to use BIS. I use my wifi browser for everything and have an unlimited BIS email add on for cheap (doesn't include WAP browsing).
    05-09-09 03:47 PM
    To make things very simple, you need the BIS(data plan)if you don't have a wi-fi browser.
    05-09-09 10:10 PM
    You'd also want it if you want to browse the net outside of wifi range (on the road, at a friend's house who doesn't have wifi, etc.)
    05-11-09 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD