Hi.

Been here a long time, just never posted. Quick question about the upcoming phones, but applies to all BB in general. And yes, I did search.

We all know that RIM uses compression. I've read in some threads that data speed (3.6, 7.2, 14.4, etc) doesn t matter too much since the compression speed is what it is. But others I've read said that the faster speeds will speed up internet, email, etc.

My question is that would a new Dakota (either 7.2 or 14.4) be twice or 4x as fast as a bold 9700 at 3.6? I'm also assumming that any other phone at 3.6would be a tad slower than a BB at the same data speed due to compression. Is this correct? When I'm looking at new BB, internet speed (especially paired to a PB) would be a factor.

Thanks
    02-03-11 06:15 AM
    Verizon is going to start compression data, due to the influx of the damned Jesus phones. I KNEW there was going to be an impact from Verizon getting that infernal phone. Now ALL users will be impacted by Verizon's choice to compress data.

Verizon Wireless to throttle data speeds of heaviest users, optimize content; starts today | BGR | Boy Genius Report

Scum suckers. THIS (among other factors) is why I have been vehemently opposed to Verizon getting the Jesus phone.
    Last edited by dave1812; 02-03-11 at 10:47 AM.
    02-03-11 09:58 AM
    Hi.

Been here a long time, just never posted. Quick question about the upcoming phones, but applies to all BB in general. And yes, I did search.

We all know that RIM uses compression. I've read in some threads that data speed (3.6, 7.2, 14.4, etc) doesn t matter too much since the compression speed is what it is. But others I've read said that the faster speeds will speed up internet, email, etc.

My question is that would a new Dakota (either 7.2 or 14.4) be twice or 4x as fast as a bold 9700 at 3.6? I'm also assumming that any other phone at 3.6would be a tad slower than a BB at the same data speed due to compression. Is this correct? When I'm looking at new BB, internet speed (especially paired to a PB) would be a factor.

Thanks
    There are many factors involved in the speed. First off the speed ratings of 3.6, 7.2, 14.4, etc. are maximum theoretical speed under perfect conditions. Things like rain, trees, walls, etc will drop that to something lower. Then their is the Blackberry model of doing things. Everything proxies through the RIM NOC or your corporate BIS so even if you did get 14.4 Mbps there, I don't know what the likelyhood of seeing that out of there.

On the compression, compression is an interesting thing. I've actually seen turning compression on on VPN devices lower the total throughput of the device, because it pegs the processor out sooner. Compression and encryption together can put a real strain on something. The horsepower needed at the core gets increased a lot. So Hopefully RIM is investing enough in the core to meet demand.

Lots of variables in play.
    02-03-11 10:37 AM
    On the compression, compression is an interesting thing. I've actually seen turning compression on on VPN devices lower the total throughput of the device, because it pegs the processor out sooner. Compression and encryption together can put a real strain on something. The horsepower needed at the core gets increased a lot. So Hopefully RIM is investing enough in the core to meet demand.

Lots of variables in play.
    I guess my main thinking is if the Dakota is 7.2 and the Torch2 is 14.4, does that still mean the Torch is twice as fast with the compression? I understand that real-world data speeds are about 40%-50% of the theoretical. Still, would a Torch2 d/l at 5Mbps and the Dakota 3Mbps? Different threads saying it doesn't matter makes me wonder if holding out for a HSPA+ radio may not matter.
    02-03-11 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD