I suspect the problem lies with Dan - some of you "not so bright" readers are talking about how Dan developed QNX and how long it takes to develop an OS. You are missing a key point...RIM would have never pursued a strategy (in 2010) when the shares were $70+ dollars if they thought it would take so long that the shares could reach $6 per share...something very bad happened along this journey and I suspect it may have something to do with the execution of Dan and his team.

If anyone has other ideas, I would love to hear them. And just to be clear....Mike, Jim, and Dan may have screwed up BIG...but they are accomplished people that deserve our respect (in my view, at least).
    Well not-so-bright member, can you please let your light shine these forums and tell us what intel you have...You don't know whether RIM would have chosen this path even if their shares would be plunging, perhaps they thought that 0S7 would help then more than expected...Still, they could very well take the risk anyway given the no other option they were in...

The shift to QNX should have been decided somewhere after the first iphone
    09-23-12 05:57 AM
    ...Who said he was the manager...? You talk about something you don't know (neither do I).
    This is a no brainer kojita. He is the lead software architect at RIM and has people reporting into him. Therefore he has to manage these people.
    richardat likes this.
    09-23-12 08:08 AM
    Dan Dodge may or may not be partially to blame, it is impossible to say without data from hundreds of different sources. No one knows and may never know the truth cept for those who were directly involved at the top and around the leaders.

That said, If Rim stopped wasting 3 years and countless man hours on developing tiny useless Curves that were shi**ier than the 9000 in 2008, and released just 3 phones with OS7 - Bold, Torch, Candy Bar, that had large screens with decent PPI, front camera and an HDMI out, then people would have loved them and it would have bought plenty of time and resources for QNX to be developed properly. They would have had good press, good sales and happy Crackberry Junkies.
    esk369 and richardat like this.
    09-23-12 09:26 AM
    Dan Dodge may or may not be partially to blame, it is impossible to say without data from hundreds of different sources. No one knows and may never know the truth cept for those who were directly involved at the top and around the leaders.

That said, If Rim stopped wasting 3 years and countless man hours on developing tiny useless Curves that were shi**ier than the 9000 in 2008, and released just 3 phones with OS7 - Bold, Torch, Candy Bar, that had large screens with decent PPI, front camera and an HDMI out, then people would have loved them and it would have bought plenty of time and resources for QNX to be developed properly. They would have had good press, good sales and happy Crackberry Junkies.
    Without the Curves I doubt they would've sold as many BB OS7 phones as they have, and that itself isn't even that much, the Curves are the cheapest and provide good value for money, they help in international and developing markets, they fight the low end cheap android devices, you obviously do not understand how BBs market share works.

The Curve also gets the most press, pr and network marketing behind it in countries like the UK, the curve brand is also the most popular blackberry brand in a whole host of nations also including the UK.
    09-23-12 11:11 AM
    Just for the record although the thread started to get a little heated it turned into a passionate debate about a subject people care about.
    That being said some people think its ok to state that people don't know what they are talking about and question people's intelligence that's the right approach to proclaim yourself right and other people wrong.
    CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC AT HAND.
    09-23-12 11:33 AM
    This whole discussion is based on the very old argument that RIM should have waited to release the PB. At this point its been out over a year and it keeps getting better. If you want to blame Dan Dodge do so knowing that QNX is able to have tons of games easily* ported to it. The QNX guys have done a great job over the years and should be thanked instead of blamed. If anyone is to blame its Mike and Jim and their management legacy. It will take time to correct.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-23-12 11:55 AM
    I guess I will add my opinion. I really doubt Dan Dodge is sitting at a computer writing code. He is trying to manage the various programs that QNX supports. As far as BB10 I think they had a huge challenge in front of them and the way I understand it QNX is the core that will allow the OS to run smoothly and multi task. If we stop and think about it RIM and the software team had to write an OS for mobile phones. A huge task to do from the ground up. I have no idea if any of the old OS could be incorporated into QNX but I really doubt it. The mistake that was made was announcing the OS before it was really very far along in development. Dan Dodge might have said it was "possible" to do in 12 months meaning in a general sense. I think the writing of the OS for PB turned out to be a distraction and current OS wont be anything like PB. I think (again this is my opinion based on no real facts and I am just speculating for the fun of it) RIM thought they could put QNX on the PB and then simpply port it over to mobile. Jim and Mike probabllly were some what disconnected from the problems cropping up. Thorsten Heins did the right thing by delaying. Mr Heins most likely sat down with Dan Dodge and asked the hard questions. When, why, and for sure. I think that in the end the delay will bode well for the OS and we wont have near the problems that we have seen with other Versions from RIM.
    Last edited by travaz; 09-23-12 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typo
    09-23-12 11:57 AM
    esk369 likes this.
    09-23-12 02:06 PM

Very nice.
    09-23-12 02:18 PM
    This is a no brainer kojita. He is the lead software architect at RIM and has people reporting into him. Therefore he has to manage these people.
    Right...but there has to be someone from RIM side as well. But anyway I really have no idea on their management structure so I d rather not comment, but I fail to see how one could blame a single person to building up such a huge project with delays...
    09-23-12 03:03 PM
    Folks,

I am still perplexed by how RIM ended up in such a bad position - I do not have to bore you with the details. From what I have read, it appears one man has been in charge - Dan Dodge - and thus he should be held accountable for the delays and misfirings in execution. In my view, RIM had the right idea ny not going Android...unfortunately they could not deliver a credible alternative strategy on time. Is Dan the one to blame here? I doubt it is Thorsten as he has the easier job of firing staff, and talking to carriers amd investors.

Would love to hear any insight if you have some?

John
    To answer your question, I don't think you could blame anybody for the delays is putting up BB10 together in such a time span under such incredible pressure. In addition, coming up with BB10 too early without proper ecosystem and top-notch software would have been suicide. So, you will probably hear opinions from the community but you won't walk out with a definite answer.

Done with this thread, on to BB10Jam Americas.
    09-23-12 03:07 PM
    To answer your question, I don't think you could blame anybody for the delays is putting up BB10 together in such a time span under such incredible pressure. D
    Uh...this sounds good in a feel-good way, but it is irrational. Whatever went wrong was not an act of God, it wasn't the result of other companies, it wasn't the media. RIM made some bad decisions, and did not meet deadlines it set out. It may be one person largely responsible, it may be multiple people, but ultimately, people are responsible for what happened, and what happened was a result of their actions. Now some of the mistakes may have been foreseeable, and other not so much. That is something that must be judged by, hopefully, fair-minded superiors.

As to the pressure. First, most of us have to work under pressure at some point, in all jobs. I would argue that the pressure at RIM should have been no greater than the pressure faced by Apple employees, or Microsoft employees, if there is substantially more, than this is the result of those who are creating the environment there, coupled with previous bad decisions which led to such a tight schedule. Yes, tech jobs have aggressive deadlines, but honestly, the pressure a surgeon, air traffic controller, or any number of other jobs where grave consequences could ensue, should help frame things in perspective.

If in fact the people at RIM cannot be expected to perform under this form of pressure, probably none of them are suited to their jobs, since this is part of it. I'm sure that's not the real case though. I am sure most of them are very talented, hard-working people, who, due to bad circumstances AND PROBABLY some very bad decisions from a person(s), could not perform as needed.

Even if everything were FLAWLESS, and all mistakes completely beyond anyone's control or ability to foresee, then one could still blame the previous decisions which put RIM on such a cliff-edge in the first place! After all, if this were TWO years ago, or three years ago, missing a BB10 deadline, or a playbook deadline by a few months or even 6 months, wouldn't have been nearly so devastating.
    09-24-12 02:21 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD