I'm going to moving to a smart phone in the next month and half and want to start out with what I can customize the crap out of:
    A little background:

14yrs Computer geek (fix, build)

EVERYTIME I install a new application or get a device the 1st place I go is to Preferences or Options and Turn off the performance killing crap and turn on the utilities or advanced features.

I owned Palm pilots and Pocket Pc's.
    My phone carrier was Virgin Mobile till 08' then I went to AT&T

With Virgin mobile I expected to have a phone I was locked out of, but thought that once I went to the major carriers I'd no longer have to deal with using Bitpim to hack my phone to Add contacts or ring tones or custom sounds. Sadly this was not the case.

I just started a new job as Technology Coordinator / IT / System Administrator for a Domain.

I need to pick a Smart phone to keep in contact as I'm covering a large area.

I'm interested a Blackberry and Droid

But I need to pick the most efficient and preferably customizable unit.

Can a droid or blackberry DO Remote Desktop to a server? I need advice thanks
    07-18-10 09:29 AM
    Hey fellow computer geek! Don't know much about Android but you can customize Blackberry's pretty good. There's an application that you can remove un-needed components from the OS and reload it onto the phone Shrink-a-os it's called, search the forums for a link. Here's an app that can do remote desktop looks like TSMobiles is your best option Features :: TSMobiles for BlackBerry :: Remote Access Tools
    07-18-10 11:58 AM
    Why not an iphone4? Now come with free bumper!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-10 12:03 PM
    I'm going to be on Verizon for my area its the best choice (I'm in the Northeast and that's where Verizon is based)

I'll be all to happy jump the AT&T ship, horrible service and an iPhone is another reason to leave AT&T if I'm going plunk down some serious cash for a "Smart" phone I'd rather get it from a "Smart" Company not an arrogant one.

As for the customization Apps, are there free / open source ones or am i going to be buying a bunch of apps just to change my wall paper use a personal ring tones. etc.

I'm definitely not into blowing money on ring tones I can make myself (to me that's like buying water)
    07-18-10 02:03 PM
    Free themes, free wallpaper(here) and there. Got mine loaded with wallpaper ringtones and apps. I have yet to pay for any. A lot of free usuable apps. There are ways to strip the OS instead of wiping and reloading which I prefer. In my opinion that is the main attraction of a bb, the ability to effect almost every parameter. . For some this can be a disadvantage. But considering your background I think you would completely enjoy the opportunity. Good luck in your decision. Post back and let us know where you ended up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-10 06:46 PM
    I'm leaning toward a BB Storm 2, I'm still using my Dell Axim 51v PPC and although it is a touch screen via a styles I fell more comfortable going in that direction, which was partially the reason I was attracted to the droid(s). I'm most likely going the BB route as it the most suitable for business. I'll post back in Sept.... as this will be when my AT&T contract ends and I move to verizon. Thanks
    07-18-10 06:57 PM
    By the time September rolls around there should be more information about a release date for Storm3. If it comes out October/November like Storm1 and Storm2 did, you may want to hold out another month or two.
    07-19-10 12:57 AM
    Both phones will work great.
    07-19-10 02:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD