Whatever your choice is, you can't go wrong as long as you get what fits your needs.

I like both and if my Pearl had everything the Curve had (camera & GPS), I would like the Pearl more.
    04-14-08 08:04 PM
    Erm...can't you get a GPS enabled Pearl? And obviously the camera is on both.
    04-14-08 08:10 PM
    I thought my Pearl had GPS enabled? I think mine doesn't have WiFi but that's not something I've ever used.

Hmm, I think one of the Pearls (maybe more than one) doesn't have GPS but he 8130 does.
    04-14-08 09:15 PM
    Unless he has an 8100 or 8120, right? Both of those are GPS-free, I believe.
    Last edited by xandrex; 04-15-08 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Error
    04-15-08 04:59 PM
    I went from the curve to the pearl. I absolutely LOVE my pearl. I got the curve but to me it was just a phone, but I'm addicted to my pearl. It fits great in my pocket (I'm a girl and that just wasn't the case with the curve), so I take it everywhere. I was a 2-phone person for a long time - smartphone and fun phone that fit in my smallest handbag and my pocket - but with the pearl I don't need 2 phones, it's everything all rolled into one! The suretype can be annoying for someone like me that's used to a full keyboard, but since you're coming from the RAZR that shouldn't be an issue for you. I've got the 8130, which has the camera and the GPS but no wifi. I don't use the GPS, but when I've played with it it's dead on (unlike phones that triangulate your location via cell towers). The camera takes really great pics too.

My advice to you is to try them both as much as you can in the stores. Go in during the day during the week, ideally in the morning when no one's in there and play with them and talk to the sales people. The curve is getting a lot of hype, but it's not "better" than the pearl. It's just personal preference.
    04-15-08 10:14 PM
    Hey...you're from Minnesota. *waves* I'm a Minnesotan also. Duluth. Just thought I'd mention it.

I'm still strongly considering both. So it's all fair game. Pocketability is a concern for me as I'm not a guy who wears baggy jeans, but I'm sure either will fit in the pocket just fine.

No matter what I get, the GPS isn't an issue (only bringing it up because you mentioned it) as I have Verizon and there is no way I'm paying for VZNav. I'll be stuck triangulating if I need maps.
    04-15-08 10:19 PM
    No one here has mentioned the low amount of RAM that cripples the Pearl. It comes with 64 mb, and the Curve will have 96 mb. That alone is worth it to me.

I have the Pearl, and due to constant low memory problems (yes, I've done all the things to free up memory), the phone is sluggish, I lose call logs and emails, and performance is poor. I can't seem to get above 12 mb no matter what I do. Apparently memory issues are worse on VZW Pearl's - for some reason they have a lot of junk taking up memory.

Overall bluetooth performance on the Pearl is an absolute joke - you'd be hard-pressed to find ANY headsets that don't have static within five feet (seems to be true of all BB devices unfortunately).

I also happen to have huge hands, and find typing on the Pearl nothing short of the most frustrating task in the world. I know I'll have some problems adjusting to the Curve keyboard (hitting two keys at the same time), but from what I understand it's a more comfortable phone for people with big hands.

SureType is supposed to be great, but I must be one of the few that hates it. It always picks the wrong word, and will sometimes put in made-up words like "ib" instead of "in". I mean, c'mon!

But really, the best bet is to go to a store and try them out. I have four more days to return my Pearl, which I think I'm going to do. Hopefully the Curve will alleviate my frustrations, but if not, I guess it's back to the beginning...
    04-19-08 01:07 PM
    Yeah I've pretty much decided on the Curve. Memory was the bigger seller for me. Now comes the wait!
    04-19-08 01:46 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD