Hi everyone, I have a question as I am new to the Blackberry.
    I went to a Verizon store wanting a Pearl and the guy gave me half a dozen reasons why I don't want a Pearl and why I should get a Curve instead. Any advice? What's the better one? I've always had a regular phone, so I'm heading into Blackberry land with blinders on. Any information will be helpful, thanks.
    05-19-08 09:14 PM
    there is a thread on this. Ohh and CURVE. And just out of curiosity, what were the reasons he gave you?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-08 09:24 PM
    there is a thread on this. Ohh and CURVE. And just out of curiosity, what were the reasons he gave you?

A couple reasons he said the Pearl was not good was that voices went in and out often while talking, text messages were deleted somehow ( I have no idea).
    Thank you for the response, I'll find the other thread related to mine.
    05-19-08 09:28 PM
    A couple reasons he said the Pearl was not good was that voices went in and out often while talking, text messages were deleted somehow ( I have no idea).
    He lied to you and probably should be fired for not selling you want you wanted. The stuff he said's not true at all. Sorry you were misled. There are differences between the two phones, but these are not them.
    05-19-08 09:33 PM
    Yeah, he fed you bologna... I've had a pearl for a year now and I love it... the only time my messages have deleted is when I had too much on my memory... but it's done that to my friend's curves before too, so it's not just a pearl thing.
    05-19-08 09:41 PM
    Hi everyone, I have a question as I am new to the Blackberry.
    I went to a Verizon store wanting a Pearl and the guy gave me half a dozen reasons why I don't want a Pearl and why I should get a Curve instead. Any advice? What's the better one? I've always had a regular phone, so I'm heading into Blackberry land with blinders on. Any information will be helpful, thanks.
    Well, I don't know, I guess he was trying to sell me what he thinks is a better phone. He said to me, "Do you want a cute phone, or one that works?"
    No brainer there!
    I do like that the Curve has a full keyboard!
    05-19-08 09:42 PM
    Yeah, he fed you bologna... I've had a pearl for a year now and I love it... the only time my messages have deleted is when I had too much on my memory... but it's done that to my friend's curves before too, so it's not just a pearl thing.
    Thanks for the input, Samantha.
    I really don't know which way to go. I'm still trying to decide if I'm Blackberry savvy at all!
    How much is your plan? What features do you have? What made you change from a plain phone to a Blackberry?
    05-19-08 09:44 PM
    the curve has a full keyboard but the keys are also smaller. i find typing on the pearl is much easier because the keys are larger. the pearl also has predictive text which makes it easier once ya phone has learned all the words you like, slang, and that happens in like a week depending on how much slang u use.
    05-19-08 09:51 PM
    Well, I don't know, I guess he was trying to sell me what he thinks is a better phone. He said to me, "Do you want a cute phone, or one that works?"
    No brainer there!
    I do like that the Curve has a full keyboard!
    I dont see the no brainer there....pearl is a VERY functional phone and I think it looks pretty sleek and smart, not cute, unless you go for pink The Curve is good of course but each one has his/her own preferences so ideally you should research both in detail instead of letting someone else make the decision for you/push you toward either phone... and then zone in on what you want.
    05-19-08 09:51 PM
    Pearl sucks. Curve rules.
    05-19-08 09:52 PM
    I pay 59.99 on tmobile for 1000 anytime, free nights and weekends, unlimited Internet and text. Gotta love tmobile.

In my opinion the pearl is an entry level bb, good for a beginer. You may not like the suretype though, I hated it.

05-19-08 09:53 PM
    LOL! They both work the same - they're Blackberries. They're both reliable phones and both have the same interfaces. The store you were in is probably doing some promotion with the employees where they win something if the sell the most curves. As far as phone behavior when on calls, when texting, etc., both phones are exactly the same. I know this as I've had both.

The pearl is smaller and has a suretype keyboard. The curve has a full qwerty keyboard and thus is slightly wider and has a slightly bigger screen. The new CDMA curves have more memory than the pearls, but they run OS 4.3 and therefore have the same memory leak issues as the CDMA pearls. Other than that, the phones are exactly the same.
    05-19-08 09:57 PM
    You can't go wrong with either phone. I personally prefer having a full keyboard, and I think the Curve has a couple more features in it (more options for speed dialing) than the Pearl. They are both great phones. Welcome to CrackBerry!
    05-19-08 09:58 PM
    I have a pearl...I love it! I was never a texter...but I gave it a week(with the suretype) and now I'm a pro(not really) Before I got a BB I wanted the Curve...now I don't know because now I really want the BOLD - I don't have any problems with the pearl at all! : )
    05-19-08 09:59 PM
    I pay 59.99 on tmobile for 1000 anytime, free nights and weekends, unlimited Internet and text. Gotta love tmobile.
    How did you get that plan? I got the $39.99 1000 minutes plan...$20 for unlimited internet/email. I'll have to pay $20 for unlimited text....
    05-19-08 09:59 PM
    Both are good, I prefer the curve, bigger screen, keyboard, gps, are a couple of reasons. Although I think verizon disables the gps??? Take your time. Read these forums, you will begin to get a feel. I would look at other carriers as well.

05-19-08 10:07 PM
    Both are good, I prefer the curve, bigger screen, keyboard, gps, are a couple of reasons. Although I think verizon disables the gps??? Take your time. Read these forums, you will begin to get a feel. I would look at other carriers as well.

Nah, why would I look at other carriers, Verizon is consistently rated the best carrier. Plus, Verizon has VZ Navigator.
    05-19-08 10:14 PM
    Its the Blackberry Minutes and Mail plan. I got the free nights and weekends as a "hook up" from my sisters ex boyfriend (store manager).

Sound like you have a phone plan and you added on the 19.99 Internet plan, not a BB specific plan.

05-19-08 10:53 PM
    He fed you a line about the Pearl. It's the perfect entry level BB, I have no issues with call quality or cutting in and out, and the text message thing he mentioned would happen on the Curve as well since it's a memory issue. It sounds like he was trying to make a quota.

I love my Pearl - however I am upgrading to a Curve now. That being said, in no way is the Pearl 'cute', in fact I think it's sleeker looking than the Curve. I am just ready for a change.
    05-19-08 10:53 PM
    Thanks so much for all of the feedback, I'm no closer to making a decision, but I have anjoyed reading all responses.
    05-19-08 11:05 PM
    Yup thats what I have. Lucky you to get the free nights and weekends! Maybe I should take a look at the $59.99 plan !
    05-19-08 11:16 PM
    I have had the pearl for 5 months with no issues. I like the size. It is a sexy phone, but the suretype gets annoying sometimes and I wish it had a bigger screen. Its really a personal preference. I am really looking forward to the QWERTY key pad. I have a couple buddies that have the curve and they love it. I'm glad verizon finally got this. Again, Try one out and if you don't like it after a couple weeks take it back. I had the 8830 as well and since it didn't have MMS capabilities or a camera I didn't see the value after the pearl came out.

If you use if for work and email a lot or text a lot my vote is for the curve. If not that the pearl is a great fit because of its size.
    05-19-08 11:36 PM
    I've had both from Verizon. I prefer the Curve, but the Pearl was nice also. The big thing that you just can't get around is that the Verizon Curve has a lot more free memory. And memory will become an issue. 64mb vs 96mb. or in the real world 16mb free vs 40mb free.
    05-20-08 08:43 AM
    pearl and curve are both great phones.
    05-20-08 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD