Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Curve 8520 Menu key not working! Any workaround for this?

I bought a Curve 8520 from ebay for a bargain price as the menu button (one with blackberry logo on) didn't work. It clicks and makes contact with the metal circle underneath but doesn't open the menu. I've also tried pressing the metal bit below the rubber with a pointy thing, still no joy so I can only assume its a hardware fault. As I don't know the phones history, I have no idea whether it could be water damage, been dropped, keys pressed too hard etc etc...

As I bought it on ebay, I cant take it back to the store. Its incredibly frustrating as it is the most important button on the entire handset. I've tried wiping it and reloading the OS etc, tried every kinda of software workaround I can think of but no joy.

However, I know that the buttons on the side of the phone can be customised to do different functions, so is there a way to duplicate/spoof the menu button to another different button? Or failing that, as the phone supports Java is there some kind of application which lets you re-map the keys to custom specifications?

I've seen many forums and many other threads where people are complaining of the same problem, I'm at my wits end, and to buy the same model brand new is 120, which seems a lot for a phone thats nearly obsolete.

Any pointers, hints, tips, useful shortcuts, or any info on this problem would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?

Ok my first tip is that you take off the screen cover which also comes off with the keys. If you don't know how to do this there are a lot of internet tutorials on that. Now if you succeed then you should now look at your menu button. If there is anything wrong looking with it try to make it straight. If you succeed then put the screen cover on and your menu key should work!! If this works please PM me and if it doesn't work PM me also!
    GOD HOPES IT WORKS!!!

Blackberry Themes And News

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

hey man thanks for the reply, i did try to remove the screen to get a better look at the key but the plastic screen cover is glued to the lcd screen, im a bit weary about removing it in fear of breaking the lcd screen as its glued pretty strong (and it leaves the glue residue behind). Do you know how likely it is that removing the screen cover will damage/break the lcd screen?