First post here just wanted to say I'm loving these forums. They've been a great help getting me accustomed to using my BB.

I'm sure this is brought up on the forums every day but... I've been wanting to double check and make sure I have my phone set up to utilize wifi properly. I don't have the data plan and Cincinnati Bell is my carrier, and I've been using Opera mini as my browser.

Under Options>Mobile Network its set to:
    Data Services: On
    Connection Pref: Wifi preferred

Under Options>Advanced Options>Browser its set to:
    Default Browser Config: Hotspot (althought for a long while I had it set to internet, dont know if this makes a difference or not)

But yea I was hoping you guys could clear all this up for me as I really only want to use internet from my home wireless network or other wifi networks. Dont really need the Data Plan. Thanks Everybody
    12-29-08 03:20 AM
    Anybody know the deal on this?
    12-29-08 11:40 AM
    from what i have gathered, everything you do under wifi as in data and voice is free? but som1 can correct me
    12-29-08 04:56 PM
    from what i have gathered, everything you do under wifi as in data and voice is free? but som1 can correct me
    From talking to T-Mobile I was led to believe if you call using wifi it will use your minutes. If you sign up for Hotspot service then using wifi to call will not use your minutes.
    Bob
    01-01-09 11:58 AM
    To answer the initial question:
    Yes, those are exactly the settings I have configured for my Curve 8320 without a data plan using Wi-Fi only.

Concerning UMA:
    Wi-Fi data is FREE, yes that is true; however, there are some limitations to Wi-Fi, some applications simply won't accept anything less than service books for a data plan. Meaning, you need to subscribe to a data plan to get some features like BBMessenger, BBMaps, Push E-Mail, et cetera.

Voice is not FREE over Wi-Fi, unless you pay for the $9.99/month service (T-Mobile) that allows you to connect to your Wi-Fi and call without using minutes from your plan. That is what UMA is. It is a paid service.
    02-07-09 12:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD