You know, it's really simple to me: Make BBW free for developers. Done. Rant over. I just hope another platform doesn't see this post and runs with it. If BlackBerry wants to survive in hardware, it has to do three things.... 1. Make BBW free for developers and update it. The black background is a good option for mobile users, not for commerce. 2. Do not, I repeat do not release anymore Blackberries. The name has ran it's course. The problem is not the hardware or software. It's the name BlackBerry. 3. Someone needs to have a serious conversation with the head of marketing. The suit and tie approach has too ran it's course. BE IN YOUR FACE AGRESSIVE!!!!!!!!! If companies with (B)illions in debt can run a commercial, so can the company formerly known as RIM. Any questions?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-06-16 06:55 PM
    WhatsApp didn't pull their app because of BBW fees.
    06-06-16 07:01 PM
    So Heins killed it with the ignominious RIM-, ahem renaming effort...

;-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-06-16 07:02 PM
    WhatsApp didn't pull their app because of BBW fees.
    Reread the post.

06-06-16 07:05 PM
    So Heins killed it with the ignominious RIM-, ahem renaming effort...

;-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    Reread the post.

06-06-16 07:05 PM
    Reread the post.
    Ok, maybe I didn't understand it. What do you mean by "making BBW free for developers"?

What are you trying to accomplish by making it free?
    06-06-16 07:08 PM
    Ok, maybe I didn't understand it. What do you mean by "making BBW free for developers"?

Don't charge a percentage...

06-06-16 07:10 PM

Not to put words in his mouth but I took it to mean remove the fees that devs pay for inclusion of apps in BBW.
    06-06-16 07:10 PM
    Don't charge a percentage...

That was my point. That wouldn't make a bit of difference to WhatsApp, Netflix, Facebook, Snapchat, PayPal, or any bank.

Aren't these the apps that people want? None of these apps pay these fees because they are free. So what apps will you attract by lowering the fees?
    Ronindan and JeepBB like this.
    06-06-16 07:17 PM
    That was my point. That wouldn't make a bit of difference to WhatsApp, Netflix, Facebook, Snapchat, PayPal, or any bank.

Aren't these the apps that people want? None of these apps pay these fees because they are free. So what apps will you attract by lowering the fees?
    paid 3rd party apps that leech of official apps lol
    06-06-16 07:33 PM
    Blackberry collects a royalty. Make them free along with everything else I said. If Nemory had let's say 10 million downloads, @ say .99 cents a pop, and BlackBerry didn't collect a royalty, how many other developers would not want that deal. More apps, more users, more developers. And for heavens sake, no more Blackberries.

06-06-16 07:55 PM
    Blackberry collects a royalty. Make them free along with everything else I said. If Nemory had let's say 10 million downloads, @ say .99 cents a pop, and BlackBerry didn't collect a royalty, how many other developers would not want that deal. More apps, more users, more developers. And for heavens sake, no more Blackberries.
    But are those even the apps people want? With all due respect to Nemory, most users don't want his hacked version of an app that violates the T&C's and IP of another company. Most people go into a store wanting the real deal, the official apps from Netflix, WA, ESPN, etc.

Increasing Nemory's income by 20%, and other small independents like him, just isn't going to matter. Or to put it another way, this fee isn't the problem. Disney wouldn't be paying this anyway. Nor Facebook. Nor Amex or Citi.

20% of free is already free.
    06-06-16 08:00 PM
    Developers & companies have said, over and over again, what they look for: USERBASE (with MARKETSHARE being a leading indicator of the userbase). BB10 has a tiny and still declining userbase, ergo developers simply aren't interested, no matter what else happens.

BB would need to make a phone that was so amazing (for some reason) that people would flock to the carrier stores to demand it despite the lack of apps. The phone would have to be so "must have" that millions and millions of people would buy and keep it every quarter, for several quarters in a row, before developers would take any interest. Nothing else will do.

Now, which do you think will happen first: BB10's official demise or the above scenario where millions are lining up for a BB10 phone, that does [something] that no other phone does, and that is so important to the masses that they'll happily abandon iOS and Android to get it?
    06-06-16 08:32 PM
    In my opinion Apple's App World and Google's Play Store there's too much of everything and developers struggle to find a spot and be recognized with their apps.

BBworld could be a tiny base but lacks a lot of interesting apps, in fact Memory is providing a lot of what BlackBerry people need.

IMHO in BBWorld there's space to make more money than in other platform's markets because there's a lot to do and a lot of ideas to bring.

Maybe I'm wrong but cutting fee costs, as said by the OP, could be a good idea to populate of new interesting apps.

Troy argumentations are right for big apps who need a large userbase to mantain things going even if Android instagram works just fine as it is, they could put the same app in BBW without any modification...

Posted via CB10
    06-07-16 03:22 AM
    In my opinion Apple's App World and Google's Play Store there's too much of everything and developers struggle to find a spot and be recognized with their apps.

BBworld could be a tiny base but lacks a lot of interesting apps, in fact Memory is providing a lot of what BlackBerry people need.

IMHO in BBWorld there's space to make more money than in other platform's markets because there's a lot to do and a lot of ideas to bring.

Maybe I'm wrong but cutting fee costs, as said by the OP, could be a good idea to populate of new interesting apps.

Troy argumentations are right for big apps who need a large userbase to mantain things going even if Android instagram works just fine as it is, they could put the same app in BBW without any modification...

Posted via CB10
    The thing is for apps in the app store or google play being bought by even a very small subset of users is a big deal, due to the total amount of users on that platform. Especially iOS users are very valuable due to having more disposable income.

For BBW to reach such numbers, a very bug percentage of users must but that same app.
    06-07-16 03:55 AM
    This idea might have a chance if BlackBerry were in a strong 2nd place position and looking to build on that. If the marketshare were 40-50% then I could see large numbers of small developers being interested in the potential to make more money on BBW than the app store or play store.

When the marketshare is in the tenths-of-a-percent level, IMHO this is basically irrelevant. There just isn't a large enough potential user-base to make the BBW royalty fee an issue.

It's basically saying on a given app, I could make $1000 on apple's store, but if BlackBerry waived their fees on BBW I could go from $10 to $11.50. Way too little, way too late.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    06-07-16 07:10 AM
    BB10 = no users = no apps = no future

Android is the right way (and make a real BB10 launcher)

Posted via CB10
    06-07-16 07:29 AM
    I think it's important to remember this is 2016, not 2010. When someone is looking at a phone in a store and ask "will it do X" or "will it run Y" or "can I use Z", I really do think in almost all cases X and Y and Z are free apps made by large companies on Android and iOS.

There was a time when small indy developers with their $1.99 apps were extremely important in the market, but I really think that was a few years ago. I think even in 2013, I saw BB spending a lot of time and money attracting these $1.99 apps when the market had largely moved on by then.

Games are a different market, of course. In think in gaming, you do see paid games still. But is that really the market BB is worried about?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-07-16 10:05 AM
    Sorry OP... no cure, at this point BB10 is terminal in the consumer market. And I really don't see any signs that BlackBerry plans to continue it even in the enterprise market where they seem to be gearing up their Android offering.

The cure was users, and I think the only way they could have gotten them.... was some type of transition from BBOS to BB10. BlackBerry's decision to just start over from scratch with their NAME only, was a mistake in 2010. It was an even bigger mistake by 2013 (which they weren't even ready for then).
    JeepBB and StephanieMaks like this.
    06-07-16 10:28 AM
    The focus here is threefold. Let's not focus on one thing that I suggested and instead focus on all three. If you do that, then I think your opinion will change.

06-07-16 10:28 AM
    The focus here is threefold. Let's not focus on one thing that I suggested and instead focus on all three. If you do that, then I think your opinion will change.

there is a bigger problem - there is no BB10 - not in any live sense - there will be security patches and that's about it. As a result, the developer tools have all gone EOL as well. Even if you made the store completely free for everyone, it's irrelevant because although like a corpse bloated with gases as it rots it will float in water for a bit, it's still dead.
    06-07-16 10:34 AM

1) Developers get everything free.... still doesn't work without user being there, especially if the BB10 userbase is shrinking.
    2) BlackBerry name is tarnished... agree. But what name would you have them use? At least BlackBerry is recognizable.
    3) Marketing.... market what exactly at this point? BB10 isn't something consumers want, and BlackBerry isn't even in a position to buy and resell devcies and be competitive (PRIV). You must have a PRODUCT first.

BlackBerry just isn't in a position to compete anymore... they wasted that opportunity long ago.
    JeepBB, Ronindan and kbz1960 like this.
    06-07-16 11:36 AM
    1) Developers get everything free.... still doesn't work without user being there, especially if the BB10 userbase is shrinking.

This is the number one reason for the lack of customers.

2) BlackBerry name is tarnished... agree. But what name would you have them use? At least BlackBerry is recognizable.

Call it "The Beast". Anything but BlackBerry or Priv. Remove everything that says BlackBerry from mobile devices. Call the OS " BeastOS". Better than BlackBerry. I travel all over and people are still in awe when they see my Passport. When I tell them it's a "BlackBerry", they're immediately turned off. Change the name.

3) Marketing.... market what exactly at this point? BB10 isn't something consumers want, and BlackBerry isn't even in a position to buy and resell devcies and be competitive (PRIV). You must have a PRODUCT first.

Market it as something new. The masses have no idea how powerful QNX is for mobile. That's not going to ever change if the name of the device is " BlackBerry__________� .

BlackBerry just isn't in a position to compete anymore... they wasted that opportunity long ago.

I agree. But if a new device hits the street with all the incentive to code for it, the consumers will come and with that, the free big name apps.
    This is just my opinion. I haven't seen any others as to how to fix hardware.

06-07-16 12:05 PM

If there was an easy fix... don't you think Chen is smart enough to figure it out?
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    06-07-16 01:23 PM

I don't think it can be fixed. Chen's already suggested that the solution is to become a software company.
    06-07-16 02:23 PM
33 12