BBM was the original...all the rest are copies. You can all thank blackberry for whatever phone you have and what they offer
    09-18-13 07:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    I wanna be part of the cool kids club too guys..

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 07:40 PM
    Simple experiment, search for #BBM4ALL #bbm_on_iphone on twitter...
    U got your answer,
    Some yall just...smh

Posted via CB10
    ghundiraj and j1m0h like this.
    09-18-13 07:41 PM
    BBM was the original...all the rest are copies. You can all thank blackberry for whatever phone you have and what they offer
    I assume you are joking.
    Because you spelt Motorola wrong

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 07:41 PM
    Well OP I don't know how it will turn out. I can't predict the future. But what I can say is that the instant it's out I will put it on my iPhone and on my SGIII.
    Definitely going on my SG3 and 5S on Sunday, too. I don't understand the pessimism around BBM.

I'm not very bullish on BB10. But BBM I can get excited about!
    09-18-13 07:42 PM
    Really??? Most people I know are not even interested in BBM anymore.what's the point of getting it if your friends and family use another messaging app which has more users etc
    It may depend on where in Canada and your demographic, but I'd have a hard time arguing that interest would be lower in Canada than in the US.
    09-18-13 07:44 PM
    I will get around 70 people on day one..... just because they are fed up with all the others.... WhatsApp is may a stop gap... in Germany privacy is important hence BBM is highly interesting.....

In the longer run this is the niche BBM wil cover.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=850821

You are just a pin and can happily do whatever you want

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 07:45 PM
    It's gonna be free and new... people love new stuff, and people love free stuff.

Plus many will download it out of sheer curiosity, and to see if BlackBerry "screwed this one up too."

Posted via CB10
    Paul Brown5 and Jahmal A like this.
    09-18-13 07:48 PM
    Definitely gonna give it a try. I'm actually eager to see it. It's been a while.
    09-18-13 07:49 PM
    Beats me why anyone will want to use whatsapp over bbm, giving out a pin is way better than your # and you can always block future invitations from pins u don't want, then when it comes to voice/video chat, I mean wth?

Posted via CB10
    Deanig_12, web99 and buwee like this.
    09-18-13 07:49 PM
    No one uses BBM now because its only available for other people with a Blackberry. I think the cross platform BBM will be pretty good and will give people the opportunity to the the potential in BB10
    Or, they'll think "Ok, I got this BBM thing now, so I can keep my Android/Apple phone."
    09-18-13 08:06 PM
    Or, they'll think "Ok, I got this BBM thing now, so I can keep my Android/Apple phone."
    I doubt people would switch back to BlackBerry for BBM alone. If the eco system got better, the phones nicer (which appears to be the case), /and/ full-featured BBM came free, then I can see people switching to BB10 phones. When I say full-featured BBM, I mean with voice, video and screen share. I don't see a reason why BlackBerry can't charge a little in-app for these features on non-BlackBerry hardware.

I can't see how Whatsapp is sustainable. It's free or dirt cheap to use. Are they just waiting to be bought out?
    09-18-13 08:17 PM
    What's a Windows phone?

Posted via CB10
    This

Cross platform BBM Launch may be a Failure-win95.png
    09-18-13 08:17 PM
    None of my contacts are interested . Phone users look down on BB and Android users are keen on Whatsapp. May be big outside of North America.
    09-18-13 08:18 PM
    Hmm. BBM makes twitter account and in 7hrs they have +2100 followers. Yep, people don't care about BBM at all.

Cross platform BBM Launch may be a Failure-img_00000191.png

Posted via CB10
    ErinnM likes this.
    09-18-13 08:19 PM
    This

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win95.png 
Views:	835 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	203257
    Guy! That's it, I can't wait for BBM to hit that shiz!

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 08:22 PM
    No offense OP, but if you did a search you would've found like 30 threads saying the exact same thing.
    09-18-13 08:22 PM
    BlackBerry may be underestimating windows phone, because only about 3 people in Canada have one.

Posted via CB10
    So true haha haven't been to the states in a while but in Canada WP is pretty much non existent
    09-18-13 08:23 PM
    No, BBM launch will be a off-the-charts success.

A high profile free app such as BBM will go like gangbusters.

If BlackBerry has done it right it will impress a lot of people, especially if BBM for Android and iOS both have the 'delivered' and 'read' notifications.

If it is true that it will look and feel like a BB10 app, then hooray, it will get people used to the all-gestures UX even before iOS 7 users can grasp it fully.

It will be a change from the way people who aren't familiar with BBM use IM, simply due to the "delivered" and "read" notices... but once people think about it a bit, they may decide "I'll use BBM for the really important people in my life, where I don't mind if they know the messages was "Read" or not... but for casual acquaintances, I won't give them my BBM id: I'll just continue to use SMS or WhatsApp or whatever with them".

That's how I intend to use it with my non BlackBerry friends... those I have in my Z10 BBM contact list are my closest family and friends, and when I put it on my iPad or on my Android(s), it'll be the same set of "elite" people in my life that I ALLOW to connect to me on BBM. That makes reading and responding to BBM much more important than any other IM method. WhatsApp and SMS are for... well not for closest friends and family. Simply put, if I really WANT to talk to them, they're on BBM. If not, there are text messages and WhatsApp.

I hope that BB will do a Windows 8 desktop version and also hopefully it will port easily to Windows 8 RT and Windows Phone: it's their chance to take over messaging and leaving out three popular (ok, alright... ONE popular platform and two strategically important) platforms would not serve that purpose.

Of course, this is just my opinion.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 09-18-13 at 09:18 PM.
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    09-18-13 08:24 PM
    Who knows what the future holds.
    But this thread IS the "Negative Stigma"

Z10 via CB10
    mkelley65 likes this.
    09-18-13 08:33 PM
    He who predicts future must share Lottery Numbers. OP, please?
    09-18-13 08:42 PM
    I agree with the OP. The only regions that are interested and are going to keep BBM thriving are the regions where it is thriving already-- and that seems to be almost exclusively in countries in Africa, Indonesia, Malaysia and India, where they use the service as a cheap way to communicate without accruing high data charges.The rest of the world has moved on and aren't looking back.

There are so many other messaging apps that former BBM users have moved on and adapted to, like Whatsapp. All of their friends, family and contacts are already set up and accustomed to a new platform. I doubt that masses of former BBM users, nor new prospective Android or IOS users will abandon their current messaging app/platform, convert, convince and issue new pins to all of their contacts to use BBM, just because "it's BBM." There isn't anything appealing about the features, platform or even the brand any longer. I don't even think the voice and video features are being implemented with the initial release of BBM cross-platform.

I think initially the interest in downloading might get a few hundred thousand downloads in the U.S. because of the curiosity factor, but the multi-millions downloads that Blackberry is probably seeking will probably only exist in the regions where BBM is already heavily used and unfortunately those are the regions where next quarter you'll probably see a dramatic decline in sales of BB devices, because of BBM going cross-platform and the masses jumping ship to Android and IOS devices.

The reality is only the die-hard fans in forums like this one and a few others are excited about BBM and Blackberry in general. So, just enjoy the exclusive club you're in.
    I think you are not looking deep enough. If a new free application shows up that will allow people to connect to the few people left on BlackBerry (as you allude to); then find themselves liking it....and it allows them to communicate to 3 of the 4 most popular ecosystems...it's pretty easy to see BBM succeeding.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 08:46 PM
    If you go to Google Play, there have been at least 16 fake BBM apps showing up in the store - some have been taken down while others are duplicates of the same fake app.

There have been thousands and thousands of downloads of these fake apps, all because of the BBM name.

Maybe some people aren't interested in BBM, but the signs are that there is a very large number of people who want BBM on Android. The fact that so many people have already tried to download BBM shows that it will more than likely be a success. Since Google Play shows download count (range), we should be able to know pretty soon after it is available.
    09-18-13 08:47 PM
    WhatsApp is more established than BBM?? LMAO!
    They beat it hands down in more ways than one - I don't have to reveal my phone # to the other party, my entire phone book does not get uploaded to WhatsApp without warning, my battery will last longer with BBM, a much more robust infrastructure just to name a few.

How do they beat it hands down?
    It's all well and good saying that but the fact is WhatsApp has the advantage. It's established. BBM is not.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 09:05 PM
    ...and an eye-opener.

The truth of the matter, is that BBM was popular 5+ years ago, and not so much anymore. The name "BBM" carries the same negative stigma as that the "Blackberry" brand. Most of my friends who own BB's right now don't even use BBM, and they use a Blackberry. Of course, this is mostly due to lack of contacts, but the result is that BBM does not interest them, or they don't understand the appeal. If many Blackberry owners don't understand the appeal, who will be convincing the iOS and Android users to switch to BBM? Especially when many users have their contacts established on Google Chat or Whatsapp, what reason should they have to switch to a new service?

I have already talked to my friends who are on Android and iOS, telling them that I am excited for them to finally be able to use BBM. Their responses all include either a complete lack of interest and/or hesitation to even give it a try, because its something made by "Blackberry."

For all these reasons and more, I have a feeling that this cross platform launch will not be what it could have been 5 years ago. It will be almost embarrassing, as this very hyped release will prove that nobody even cares about BBM, which was and still is considered to be Blackberry's greatest feature/appeal. This could potentially lower Blackberry's value as a company to prospective buyers who will see that BBM is no longer of value.

I certainly hope that the following weeks prove me and this post to be wrong; I would love to have some more BBM contacts
    What are your thoughts on how the BBM cross platform launch will turn out?
    Come on. At this point I think we all have to admit that BBRY has NOTHING to lose anymore. Let's just wait and see. I don't see the point of yet another "BBM will fail" thread. We heard it a dozen times now. It's better for them to grab this chance than just sticking their heads in the sand.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 09:14 PM
367 12345 ...