...and an eye-opener.

The truth of the matter, is that BBM was popular 5+ years ago, and not so much anymore. The name "BBM" carries the same negative stigma as that the "Blackberry" brand. Most of my friends who own BB's right now don't even use BBM, and they use a Blackberry. Of course, this is mostly due to lack of contacts, but the result is that BBM does not interest them, or they don't understand the appeal. If many Blackberry owners don't understand the appeal, who will be convincing the iOS and Android users to switch to BBM? Especially when many users have their contacts established on Google Chat or Whatsapp, what reason should they have to switch to a new service?

I have already talked to my friends who are on Android and iOS, telling them that I am excited for them to finally be able to use BBM. Their responses all include either a complete lack of interest and/or hesitation to even give it a try, because its something made by "Blackberry."

For all these reasons and more, I have a feeling that this cross platform launch will not be what it could have been 5 years ago. It will be almost embarrassing, as this very hyped release will prove that nobody even cares about BBM, which was and still is considered to be Blackberry's greatest feature/appeal. This could potentially lower Blackberry's value as a company to prospective buyers who will see that BBM is no longer of value.

I certainly hope that the following weeks prove me and this post to be wrong; I would love to have some more BBM contacts
    What are your thoughts on how the BBM cross platform launch will turn out?

[EDIT]
    I am pleasantly surprised to see that the majority of replies to this post describe the very opposite of what I have personally experienced. This makes me more hopeful! However it is evident that I am not the only one who has this sense that people will ignore BBM. We can only hope for the best!
    Also, the title may have been a bit harsh. The purpose of this post was to point out that this cross platform BBM launch could potentially not go as well as Crackberry nation had hoped, and I wanted to trigger a discussion about it. And please don't think of me as wishing anything but the best to Blackberry. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    Last edited by flaminSaganaki; 09-18-13 at 10:56 PM.
    09-18-13 05:58 PM
    Cool story bro.

#IChooseBlackBerry10

#BBM4ALL

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 05:59 PM
    #BBM4ALL
    when is it out for windows phone again?
    09-18-13 06:02 PM
    thats funny cause all my friends are super hyped to get this on their phone......everyone and their mother has owned a blackberry at some point or another, theyre all excited to get use BBM again.....Which is without a doubt the best messaging software ever made
    09-18-13 06:03 PM
    BlackBerry may be underestimating windows phone, because only about 3 people in Canada have one.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 06:08 PM
    thats funny cause all my friends are super hyped to get this on their phone......everyone and their mother has owned a blackberry at some point or another, theyre all excited to get use BBM again.....Which is without a doubt the best messaging software ever made
    Thats very interesting, and hopeful! I suppose some are more hyped than others

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 06:09 PM
    Thats very interesting! I suppose some are more hyped than others

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure it's regional. Everyone I know is going to download it.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor and theRock1975 like this.
    09-18-13 06:10 PM
    All my friends are hyped too cain wait for it

Sent from my GT-I8190 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-18-13 06:12 PM
    What's a Windows phone?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 06:14 PM
    What about the rest of the planet. Follow #BBM on twitter and you might think otherwise. It's been around allot longer than any other mobile chat application. It's more popular in other countries.

Posted via CB10
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    09-18-13 06:16 PM
    Down here in SoCal/the OC, no one cares. The OP is spot on, unfortunately:-(
    flaminSaganaki and Fuzzballz like this.
    09-18-13 06:19 PM
    BlackBerry may be underestimating windows phone, because only about 3 people in Canada have one.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    09-18-13 06:23 PM
    What's a Windows phone?
    They're those devices that are selling better than BB10 devices and bumping Blackberry to 4th place.
    09-18-13 06:25 PM
    not to be rude, but aren't you in your own world there?

Posted via CB10
    BBVegasGirl80, rrr12380 and mooda like this.
    09-18-13 06:25 PM
    No one uses BBM now because its only available for other people with a Blackberry. I think the cross platform BBM will be pretty good and will give people the opportunity to the the potential in BB10
    damien kupuku likes this.
    09-18-13 06:27 PM
    ...and an eye-opener.

The truth of the matter, is that BBM was popular 5+ years ago, and not so much anymore. The name "BBM" carries the same negative stigma as that the "Blackberry" brand. Most of my friends who own BB's right now don't even use BBM, and they use a Blackberry. Of course, this is mostly due to lack of contacts, but the result is that BBM does not interest them, or they don't understand the appeal. If many Blackberry owners don't understand the appeal, who will be convincing the iOS and Android users to switch to BBM? Especially when many users have their contacts established on Google Chat or Whatsapp, what reason should they have to switch to a new service?

I have already talked to my friends who are on Android and iOS, telling them that I am excited for them to finally be able to use BBM. Their responses all include either a complete lack of interest and/or hesitation to even give it a try, because its something made by "Blackberry."

For all these reasons and more, I have a feeling that this cross platform launch will not be what it could have been 5 years ago. It will be almost embarrassing, as this very hyped release will prove that nobody even cares about BBM, which was and still is considered to be Blackberry's greatest feature/appeal. This could potentially lower Blackberry's value as a company to prospective buyers who will see that BBM is no longer of value.

I certainly hope that the following weeks prove me and this post to be wrong; I would love to have some more BBM contacts
    What are your thoughts on how the BBM cross platform launch will turn out?
    I will get it as soon as it's available and most of my former Blackberry users who have switched to IOS and Android will be using it too.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    09-18-13 06:27 PM
    I know all my friends and family will be downloading BBM to use! Almost everyone I have spoken to about this said they will definitely download and use it...so to say the launch will be a failure is a little harsh, but that is your opinion so thats fine
    09-18-13 06:34 PM
    #BBM4ALL I expect there to be many hits this weekend for the download. If there is anything someone who used to have a Blackberry wishes they had is BBM!
    09-18-13 06:39 PM
    They're those devices that are selling better than BB10 devices and bumping Blackberry to 4th place.
    Oh. Those things. The ones made by Nokia which was bought by Microsoft.

Meh.

Posted via CB10
    carullo and damien kupuku like this.
    09-18-13 06:39 PM
    Come back after the weekend and let us know how many of those who don't care download it and switch.

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku and KOOLWATER like this.
    09-18-13 06:40 PM
    not to be rude, but aren't you in your own world there?

Posted via CB10
    Yep and that's the problem. The folks down here just don't care about the rest of you. I really need to move.
    09-18-13 06:45 PM
    Yep and that's the problem. The folks down here just don't care about the rest of you. I really need to move.
    Best thing about SoCal is........... Wait I'm thinking ............

Uh I will have to get back to you
    09-18-13 06:49 PM
    Will certainly be interesting to see how this all plays out. Very curious to know how many downloads happen this weekend

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 06:50 PM
    I'm really looking forward to BBM. I'm not satisfied with any of the current cross-platform solutions. I look forward to seeing what BlackBerry can do with this, since they have much, much more good experience in this than WhatsApp, etc.

For me personally, this will be the most interesting BlackBerry product of the year for me. I can't wait. I think in general, BBM is a pretty respected product and should get a lot of people to at least try it.
    09-18-13 06:52 PM
    Best thing about SoCal is........... Wait I'm thinking ............

Uh I will have to get back to you
    Haaaaaaaaa! That's great!
    09-18-13 06:53 PM
367 123 ...