Over the last few weeks, I've worked tirelessly with my fellow CBers to find a cure for this extremely annoying and frankly unacceptable bug, found primarily in SMS threads but also infrequently happens to single emails also. The first post of the three threads I have here on CB will document the facts about this issue, and what's being done about it. Hopefully, eventually we will receive the attention we deserve from the people who are capable of fixing this.

Myself and a growing minority of CB Nation have been experiencing an issue with our SMS's in 5.0 builds, where after a thread reaches a certain length and contains a variable amount of messages, the thread becomes locked. You cannot read the incoming messages, or reply to them. There are a few workarounds, and they have limited success. No matter what, it always comes back.

We are open to all suggestions, however please read everything that we know below in bold before posting a suggestion that's already been tried for the sake of keeping the thread useful. Also, like everywhere on the forums, please keep this civil, even if you disagree. Remember, we all have a common goal. Thanks to all who contribute!

I'll try to update the first post of all 3 threads about this, as often as possible, with any new information or conclusions we come to.
    Here are the facts:

It doesn't happen to everyone- So please don't post just to say it hasn't happened to you, and you have XX BlackBerrys, and send XXXX texts a month, and have used X versions of OS 5.0 thanks!
    It is only in 5.0 builds, seemingly in .405 and later, both beta and official.
    It affects all models and carriers.
    Usually the persons are heavy texters, and have long threaded conversations.
    The problem is intermittent, and not app, theme, or database related.
    You can reply by deleting the thread and starting anew, but you'd lose any messages you were unable to read.
    Wiping your phone, and doing a clean OS install doesn't help.
    Not restoring your database from a 4.x build doesn't work either
    You can mess with any SMS settings you want. Even if it works temporarily, it always comes back.
    Automatic memory cleaning does NOT work
    Encryption is not the cause or solution
    SMS encoding is not the cause
    Your SMS inbox can be separate or combined. It doesn't matter.

The temporary fixes, that only have intermittent success, are:
    A battery pull.
    Selecting 'Compose SMS' then entering the person's name
    Rapidly clicking on the text
    Activate a Memory Cleaning
    Deleting your priors, therefore eliminating any long threads

The only way to prevent this from happening, is to extremely frequently delete your priors. And we should not have to do this!!! No matter what we've done, once the SMS thread gets long enough, IT WILL HAPPEN!!!

That's all I can think of for now. I just don't get it. Is the threaded SMS module incapable of holding together more than a certain amount of messages? Why should we have to delete our priors? Some people like to keep a long history. Don't get me wrong, I love 5.0 and its threaded SMS, but I paid a lot of money for my device, and a **** ton of cash every month to Ma Bell every month to operate it. So I expect it to work! Please help us enjoy our 5.0 to its full potential!
    Last edited by IrocD; 03-25-10 at 08:27 PM. Reason: updates
    03-06-10 08:47 PM
    I have been having a similar issue and an odd bug. Mine often happens after I've searched for a contact or whatnot.
    Also, around midnight, if I'm texting, it'll pop up old texts like I just got them in. This can be annoying, but really doesn't affect anything. They just go away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-10 01:26 AM
    Are you using any themes. Some themes will mess with the SMS.
    03-07-10 02:00 AM
    Are you using any themes. Some themes will mess with the SMS.
    Thanks but no, like it says above, it's not theme related.

03-07-10 06:17 AM
    I downgraded to .411 and have been deleting texts constantly and haven't had the freeze. I'll keep a really long one going and I'll tell you if I notice it in .411 or not. I don't recall it happening on this one for me. Good luck. I'll be watching this thread.

03-07-10 07:13 AM
    I've had four Bolds. I can maybe rule out some of the issues.

Bold One
    Frequency: Displayed the glitch BADLY (i.e., ten or more times a day).
    Operating System: .296 OS from ATT.
    Themes: Never even downloaded a theme, used stock.

Bold Two
    Frequency: Displayed glitch but not as frequently as #1 (i.e., maybe once or twice a day).
    Operating System: .296 OS from ATT.
    Themes: Did download two themes, but used them maybe for a total of five days.

Bold Three Had it for less than 24 hours.
    Frequency: Did not display glitch.
    Operating System: .405 OS from ATT
    Themes: None

Bold Four Had it for a week today.
    Frequency: Does display glitch (three times this week).
    Operating System: .405 from ATT
    Themes: None

On the fourth Bold, I didn't import my contacts or any saved messages or anything. I literally manually entered all of my contacts. I did lose all of the messages I'd saved on my other phones. I wanted it to be a fresh start, thinking that perhaps for some crazy reason the contacts are making this happen. On all phones (except the third one - didn't have it for long enough), I individually freshly loaded all my themes (gmail, dexrex, weathereye, crackberry launcher, i love blackberry, poynt, captureit, and qsms.

I think that my information indicates that it is not theme, app, or version of operating system related. Of course, I have no idea what that leaves us with! I have been trying to make sure I delete call logs, messages, event logs, etc. frequently to minimize the times that this occurs. It often happens when I try to delete a thread of texts, however.

I do hope the answer to this problem can be found. It makes me crazy!
    03-07-10 07:24 AM
    I'm determined to find the answer to this!!!
    03-07-10 08:52 AM
    I'm going through the same problem, except mine is with one contact only; I sms them, and as soon as it gets long enough I have a hard time opening it the first time I click on it, it don't go through the 2nd time the name appears at the top but the screen is blank, so I go back click on another sms message then go back to that same one then finally shows up, sometimes, then other times the last message don't display just what I wrote last; hope that made sense. But its pretty much what you discribed just with that one contact though...hoping you find the answer sometime soon.

03-07-10 10:23 AM
    1st post edited. Please let me know if I've missed anything.
    03-25-10 08:24 PM
    Any update on this? I am dying a little bit inside every time this glitch happens... and it happens a lot!
    04-21-10 03:28 PM
    Very cool we can order custom tailored answers to our questions now. Very awesome so i just type in bold to get the tailored version of what i want to hear? Good to know.
    04-21-10 03:59 PM
    ive always used the SMS cods from .405 in every OS thereafter ive loaded to my 9700. i have never experienced any SMS issues. i advise everyone who wants to remain SMS trouble-free, to do the same.
    04-21-10 10:59 PM
    @dictoresno - I am on .405 and I have the prOblem. Do you think that its some combination of files that's causing the problem? Are you saying a hybrid would not demonstrate this problem? I'm not sure I understand ...

04-22-10 01:58 AM
    @dictoresno - I am on .405 and I have the prOblem. Do you think that its some combination of files that's causing the problem? Are you saying a hybrid would not demonstrate this problem? I'm not sure I understand ...

well here are some variables....

i was on .405 for maybe a day before i upgraded to the newest OS. i also dont have very long SMS threads and delete them often. so that may be why i dont experience it at all.

what i have noticed is every SMS issue ive seen in subsequent OS's (like cursor not defaulting to the text input field) were absent in .405. this is why when i install a new OS, i delete the sms_compose cod and manually copy/paste the one from .405 into the OS folder proior to install. ive never had an SMS issue since doing this.

if there is no other way around it, just start to delete sms convos on a regular. there may be a hidden memory limit per thread that some people are hitting.
    04-22-10 02:23 AM
    So no one has found an answer to this problem? It never occurred to my 9700 until about 3 weeks ago. I've been scouring the forums for an answer.
    06-14-10 08:39 PM
    Same thing happens to me! Do you happen to know if an actual text is trying to be sent, or if it's just random?
    10-16-12 01:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD