Just thought of this. Granted, it probably means a decent loss of cash, but it gets more BB devices in consumers' hands.

- Announce pre-orders start after BB Jam Americas. Pre-orders for off-contract phones available only through BlackBerry.com
    - Phones will ship before (date)
    - Every pre-order gets a free PlayBook (shipped immediately)
    - Christmas gift: PlayBook + BB10 pre-order; or give the PlayBook as a great gift, keep the BB10 for yourself! Haha
    - Play with PlayBook until BB10 phone arrives.

This gets more PlayBooks out there and promotes the BB10 phones in a way that makes them appear super lucrative. Free tablet with phone pre-order! Crazy, right?!

Problem: Carrier backlash (taking business away from carrier sales); PlayBook sales dollars lost (potentially made up through charging full off-contract price for BB10 phone).

PS: I know this would probably never happen, but imagine the upside in terms of gaining customers and selling BB10 devices. It would be a huge positive in terms of customer relations and would help stir some excitement for the release of BB10. If they can show that "x" number of pre-orders have been made, developers could see in advance the potential for profits by developing for BB10.

Just an idea... don't hate me... haha
    09-19-12 12:19 PM
    It would also shut off any interest in BB7 phones.
    09-19-12 02:31 PM
    There is interest in OS7 phones? I think that shipping sailed when BB10 was announced. Not a bad idea OP, didn't they already write off the pb's sitting around?
    09-19-12 02:50 PM
    I figure it's in RIM's best interest to move as much of their user base to BB10 as quickly as possible, especially if it builds developer interest in the platform (devs seeing millions of devices being pre-ordered should give them a good idea that BB10 is going to be a hit).

PlayBook's are being sold quite cheaply already in an effort to get rid of old stock. I have absolutely no idea how many RIM is looking to unload at current prices (maybe all and then hitting the market with a 10 inch version once the 7s are mostly gone), but this could be a great way to get devices in consumers hands AND promote BB10 phones.
    09-19-12 02:56 PM
    I don't know about the dates (if the first BB10 devices aren't ready until February, for example, that's a lot of time to be waiting on a preorder), but a free PlayBook with the purchase of an unlocked device seems like a no brainer to me.

At the very least, RIM (and I'm sure they already know this) should be extremely aggressive in making upgrading to BB10 as easy and attractive a proposition as possible for existing Blackberry users.
    09-19-12 03:40 PM
    There is interest in OS7 phones? I think that shipping sailed when BB10 was announced. Not a bad idea OP, didn't they already write off the pb's sitting around?
    There are people that would still but a BB7 phone. They are a great phone for people not needing glitz and apps. We just bought 3 9900s for my managers. All they use is email and BBM.

I personally think having a $100 - $150 Mastercard or VISA pre paid card for people trading up recent OS7 purchases to BB10 units would be sufficient.

Promotions are difficult. You need to find that sweet spot with a giveaway or incentive that is just enough to "work" with out over paying for it. Giving away too much can "cheapen" the product on a subconscious level.
    09-19-12 03:41 PM
    Make it so!
    09-19-12 05:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD