12-01-09 02:36 PM
- Well today I finally did it. I convinced myself maybe 6 months ago that I could handle a touch screen phone without breaking the screen, which was my biggest concern that the screen would break and render the phone almost useless. So I went out and got a Storm. Today I managed to drop my phone, about 2-3ft from the ground, and now the screen has one thin crack running across it. As soon as it happened I tried using the phone's touch screen to ensure it wasn't damaged internally. It appeared to function as usual. Around 3 hrs later I tried to open a txt msg but the screen wouldnt work. Parts of the screen worked, like the bottom and top left corners but 90% of it was not functioning. The appearnce/image on the screen is perfectly fine, it seems to not have been affected but it just wont let you operate the touch screen.
I did buy the ext warranty for the phone when I got it from best buy, however I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a reason that they would either repair it or give me a new one at no cost to me. I simply am asking if anyone might know a way I can get a replacement phone or my screen repaired for free from best buy or blackberry
Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 12-01-09 at 12:35 AM. Reason: thinly veiled profanity12-01-09 12:31 AM
- What does the Best Buy warranty cover? Was there more than one option for extended warranty and if so, which one did you get? Does it cover cracked or broken screens? Or any other damage from dropping? Hopefully you got some sort of product replacement plan.
Did you also buy insurance for the phone?
Last edited by BlkBear; 12-01-09 at 12:57 AM.12-01-09 12:55 AM
- You're most likely looking at a deductible on anything like that, if you had insurance, which it doesn't sound as if you did. If the warranty covers physical damage, you may be in luck, but doubtful it'll be free.
Own up. It isn't their fault you didn't invest in protection for your device. Some of the best lessons you learn come with a price.
Best of luck getting things straightened out.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com12-01-09 12:56 AM
- I did buy the optional ext warranty, but I still have to look over it, I just spoke with a buddy of mine who works at best buy and he does not believe they will cover it. Sounds like I'm screwed, I might just have to try to bend the truth a bit and see if they can do something.12-01-09 01:03 AM
- I did buy the optional ext warranty, but I still have to look over it, I just spoke with a buddy of mine who works at best buy and he does not believe they will cover it. Sounds like I'm screwed, I might just have to try to bend the truth a bit and see if they can do something.
Sounds like you were given the option for product replacement and the price was not to your liking so you decided, the other warranty was cheaper? Is that more like the truth?12-01-09 01:29 AM
- Cellular Nationwide Network - 3G, Sony, Panasonic, LG, SonyEricsson, Nokia, Tools, BlackBerry, sells replacement screens...they cost about 70 bucks. order a new screen and replace it...cheaper than a new phone but the choice is yours. However they didnt break the screen own up and handle it yourself!12-01-09 07:15 AM
I'm gonna go to best buy and see what they say, I dont like the phone anyways maybe they will do something. I'm gonna try and say the screen cracked when I pressed it, might work and it might not.12-01-09 10:36 AM
- The standard Best Buy coverage plan covers normal wear and tear, defects in materials and workmanship, dust, dead pixels, etc. They also have optional ADH (accidental damage from handling) coverage which would cover your particular instance, although it's unclear if this is included in the coverage. It does say "optional", but you stated they didn't offer any choices, just the extra warranty.
I would go to BB and find out exactly what coverage you paid for, and if they say you did not get the ADH coverage then I would put up a BIG stink for them not offering it in the first place. If you deal with them right you'll get your phone fixed or replaced.12-01-09 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD