But I'm hoping you all can help me through the birth process.

I received an 8330 Verizon Curve today, which I ordered from eBay. I am always suspicious of eBay, and now is no different. This phone is supposed to be brand new. Because I've never used a BlackBerry, I don't know what is normal. Here's what's happened so far that I haven't been able to get a google answer from. With the phone on, the battery charging indicator does not scroll, but a double red pointed arrow shows over it intermittently. It charged to 45% before it showed a real screen display, which came on after a spinning hourglass. Because the charging indicator wasn't scrolling, I figured it was not charging. As I found through google, I removed the battery while the phone was still plugged in and replaced it. This didn't solve anything. I turned off the phone, and now there is a green light flashing off and on at the top of the phone. This makes me think it's charging. I expect it to be solid color when finished, if it is anything like previous phones I've used.

Is the center menu button supposed to feel loose and go up, down and sideways? That's something like my former Nokia 6236, but that didn't feel loose and easy.
    03-21-09 03:05 PM
    the flashing green light is the service indicator. you can change your settings to turn it off.

i don't quite understand what you mean by "the battery charging indicator does not scroll", so i can't help ya there, sorry!

i'm not sure what the trackball of a curve is supposed to feel like, because i hear that the trackball of the pearl (or at least my pearl) is a little different...
    03-21-09 03:12 PM
    if the phone is on and charging, there is usually a lightning bolt over the battery icon on the home screen. If the phone is off and charging, a yellow LED indicator flashes and indicates the charging.
    03-21-09 03:16 PM
    By 'the battery charging indicator does not scroll', I mean that the indicator which shows a fully charged battery by being full of lines, moves from empty to full (lines) while it is charging.

I did initially have the lightning bolt over the battery icon before the phone showed me a screen with icons.
    03-21-09 03:55 PM
    By 'the battery charging indicator does not scroll', I mean that the indicator which shows a fully charged battery by being full of lines, moves from empty to full (lines) while it is charging.

I did initially have the lightning bolt over the battery icon before the phone showed me a screen with icons.
    The Curve's battery icon does not scroll as you described when charging. It shows the battery icon with a lightning bolt over it.
    03-21-09 03:57 PM
    The Curve is fully charged now, but not yet activated. The CD for BlackBerry Desktop Software doesn't work. It opens an empty window. I see that I can download the software at the BlackBerry site, but don't know what is the correct version to download. Any advice? I was sorry to see that it doesn't sync with BitPim.
    03-21-09 06:37 PM
    I recommend Desktop Manager 4.6

You should be able to activate your BB online if you have an account, or create an account here:

https://login.verizonwireless.com/amserver/UI/Login

After you log-in there is an activate my phone link in the quicklinks section on the right of the window.
    03-21-09 06:44 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry.com!
    03-21-09 06:50 PM

Is the center menu button supposed to feel loose and go up, down and sideways? That's something like my former Nokia 6236, but that didn't feel loose and easy.
    Uhm, it is a trackball. It scrolls.
    03-21-09 07:09 PM
    "Taylor Swift at Madison Square Garden August 27th!"

Does Miley know you'll be cheatin' on her? Or was?
    03-21-09 07:15 PM
    I recommend Desktop Manager 4.6
    Thanks for that info, just what I needed to know.

LOL. @myself too. My Nokia actually had a joystick, and I've never used a trackball before. It rolls!

And thanks for the welcome, pkcable
    03-21-09 08:02 PM
    My biggest obstacle has been the lack of connectivity for syncing via Bluetooth with my computer. Without this ability, the Curve is useless to me. My research indicates that my existing, working Bluetooth on my computer will not work because it is not a Microsoft Stack. It's Widdcom. I can't believe that an extraordinary device like the BlackBerry Curve cannot do simple things that cheap cell phones can do.

Maybe my timing wasn't right for this adventure, but I'm not about to break what works and pay a lot of money to do it.
    03-21-09 11:42 PM
    "Taylor Swift at Madison Square Garden August 27th!"

Does Miley know you'll be cheatin' on her? Or was?
    I've been thinking the same thing! But she doesn't know were married yet, but cheating with one of her best friends does seem kinda sketchy :P
    03-22-09 07:45 AM
    this made my loled
    03-22-09 08:52 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.com!
    ...lol no you beat me to it
    03-22-09 08:53 AM
    I'm always wary of buying electronics on ebay or craigslist. Hope this works out for you.
    03-22-09 09:08 AM
    Over at linuxappfinder.com, I found instructions on transferring a picture from the Curve to my computer via the existing Bluetooth. And it worked That gave me enough encouragement to actually activate the phone and get it set up. I paired it to my BlueAnt car speakerphone with no problem. For some reason I couldn't send a picture via picture messaging, but was able to e-mail it from the Curve. I do need to know how to transfer files that aren't pictures, and plenty of other stuff as well. But things are looking up. Yesterday morning, I was ready to return the thing, but at this rate, getting it away from me now might involve prying it from my cold, dead hands.

So yes. I'm here. And thanks for the welcomes
    03-23-09 11:05 PM
    I smell a new addict! Welcome! I've had my pearl (my first BB) for about a month and I love it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 12:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD