hi guys,

here's my problem. whenever I try connecting my z10 to the router at home, it shows "connected" but when I open the browser, there is an error popping up. it says " couldn't resolve the host name" what is strange is that when I connect tp other wifi, it works! what should I do now?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 05:39 PM
    hi guys,

here's my problem. whenever I try connecting my z10 to the router at home, it shows "connected" but when I open the browser, there is an error popping up. it says " couldn't resolve the host name" what is strange is that when I connect tp other wifi, it works! what should I do now?

Posted via CB10
    This would be a router issue. Not a Z10 issue. Check to make sure all your settings are correct. The password you are entering for your router connection is correct. It will probably require some troubleshooting that you should get an "expert" to look at in person. Got any tech savvy friends?
    04-11-13 05:59 PM
    huhuhu that's the problem. I don't have anyone to ask...

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 03:21 AM
    I configure my router. reset it, changed password and did the wireless set up. Everything went well. However, I still cannot figure out why my bb10 won't connect to my wifi at home? why? please help. I can't download large files. It needs wifi connection and I cant connect!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 09:37 AM
    I dont know which one has the problem. my bb10 connects with other wifi smoothly. My wifi works well. My old bb connects to it easily. So what's the problem? techy people I badly need your help!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 09:41 AM
    There really isn't enough information here to troubleshoot; but i'll ask if you have MAC filtering turned on, on the router, and if so: have you entered you phone's MAC address into the filter?
    04-12-13 11:08 AM
    There really isn't enough information here to troubleshoot; but i'll ask if you have MAC filtering turned on, on the router, and if so: have you entered you phone's MAC address into the filter?
    Hi..thank you,, thank you, finally someone noticed me.. I am really not a techy person so I don't know about MAC filtering. Can you help me know if my router have that? so sorry... I'm really so dumb with things like this
    04-12-13 01:21 PM
    . Can you help me know if my router have that?
    It will be difficult to tell you more until your provide us the brand and model of your router ...

Also, on your Z10, once the WIFI is connected, go to settings, Network connection / Wifi
    Tap 'Advanced' and pick 'Internet Connection' in the 'Diagnostic Information' list.
    Then look for the IP of the Primary and Secondary DNS ...

The DNS server are the one responsible for translating host name into IP addresses
    if you see something like "couldn't resolve the host name" this mean that or the DNS settings are wrong on the router, or your MAC is blocked .. or your are entering a wrong URL in the browser ...
    michierosuelo likes this.
    04-12-13 01:24 PM
    It will be difficult to tell you more until your provide us the brand and model of your router ...

Also, on your Z10, once the WIFI is connected, go to settings, Network connection / Wifi
    Tap 'Advanced' and pick 'Internet Connection' in the 'Diagnostic Information' list.
    Then look for the IP of the Primary and Secondary DNS ...

The DNS server are the one responsible for translating host name into IP addresses
    if you see something like "couldn't resolve the host name" this mean that or the DNS settings are wrong on the router, or your MAC is blocked .. or your are entering a wrong URL in the browser ...
    Briard, thank you!

I tried looking at the primary and secondary DNS, primary DNS: 192.168.1.1 secondary DNS is blank..
    My router is D-LINK model DSL-2740B
    I also tried the "Configure MAC Filtering", I added the MAC address of my bb z10, tried browsing the internet, still the same message.. so please help me, what else should I do??
    04-12-13 02:23 PM
    Well if it says 192.168.1.1 for the DNS, this is most likely the IP of your router

I know this is going to look like a dumb question, but do you have other equipment connected to that router ? Do they work properly ? ( Yes, I really had to ask that )

In the mean time, you may try something else

1- On the Z10 Go back to settings, Network connection / Wifi , Tap 'Advanced' and this time pick 'DNS LOOKUP' in the 'Diagnostic Information' list.

2. in the box under server, you should have 192.168.1.1
    below that you should have another box ( below Host * )
    In that box, enter a domain name ( like crackberry.com ) and tap SEND
    you should get a message under result.

3. Now, go back up, and replace 192.168.1.1 by 8.8.8.8
    go back under host, make sure you still have crackberry.com under HOST and tap 'Send' again

Please report the messages

EDIT

If you go to the configuration of your router, on the Advanced TAB, click on DNS
    Which option is selected ?
    - Obtain DNS Server address automatically
    or
    - Use the following server addresses
    In the second case, what addresses do you have there ?
    Last edited by Briard; 04-12-13 at 04:03 PM.
    04-12-13 03:43 PM
    I'm having this same problem with my Wi-fi network at work, using a Netgear WNAP210 router. I've been on the phone with BlackBerry Support for three days now, but we haven't resolved this yet. There is no MAC filtering, I'm sure that I'm typing in the correct password and many other devices connect to this router with no problems.
    04-12-13 04:17 PM
    Well if it says 192.168.1.1 for the DNS, this is most likely the IP of your router

I know this is going to look like a dumb question, but do you have other equipment connected to that router ? Do they work properly ? ( Yes, I really had to ask that )
    Hi Briard,

Thanks again for this. Yes, my router works perfectly with my two laptops at home and 1 old bb phone. I haven't had any problems like this before. I sent you a private message because I thought you won't reply here.. I'll do what you said and I will let you know what will happen.. =)
    04-12-13 04:20 PM
    I'm having this same problem with my Wi-fi network at work, using a Netgear WNAP210 router. I've been on the phone with BlackBerry Support for three days now, but we haven't resolved this yet. There is no MAC filtering, I'm sure that I'm typing in the correct password and many other devices connect to this router with no problems.
    Stay in touch, and do what Briard says... then let's see what will happen.. =)
    04-12-13 04:23 PM

These are the results:
    connection timed out: no servers could be reached:
    global options:+cmd
    ;1 server found- <<>>DiG 9.6.1-P2<<>>-t A @192.168.1.1 crackberry..

So there's really a problem... huhuhuhuhu what's next?

then about the DNS option, mine is "Obtain DNS Server address automatically"
    04-12-13 04:26 PM

1- On the Z10 Go back to settings, Network connection / Wifi , Tap 'Advanced' and this time pick 'DNS LOOKUP' in the 'Diagnostic Information' list.

2. in the box under server, you should have 192.168.1.1
    below that you should have another box ( below Host * )
    In that box, enter a domain name ( like crackberry.com ) and tap SEND used Washington Post: Breaking News, World, US, DC News & Analysis
    you should get a message under result. ;;connection timed out; no servers could be reached (how do you read these items that go off of the screen?)
    ;;global options: +cmd

go back under host, make sure you still have crackberry.com under HOST and tap 'Send' again Results: 23.67.243.26

EDIT

If you go to the configuration of your router, on the Advanced TAB, click on DNS
    Which option is selected ?
    - Obtain DNS Server address automatically
    or
    - Use the following server addresses
    In the second case, what addresses do you have there ?
    04-12-13 04:33 PM

go back under host, make sure you still have crackberry.com under HOST and tap 'Send' again
    The result is the same with the first one,
    connection timed out: no servers could be reached:
    global options:+cmd
    ;1 server found- <<>>DiG 9.6.1-P2<<>>-t A @192.168.1.1 crackberry....

=(
    04-12-13 04:38 PM
    Well this is interesting ...

For whatever reason the router is NOT responding to the DNS request from the Z10.
    When you Z10 connect to the router, the router is telling to the Z10 what IP address it should use as well as the DNS server.

It would be interesting to set the router DNS server to MANUAL ( you can use Google DNS servers address 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 ). Most likely, if you do that, the router will direct the Z10 to use these address too ...

So - in the router, change the DNS setting to Use the following server addresses and enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    The router should restart after you make that change.

When the router restarts, check the DNS address on the Z10 on your Z10, once the WIFI is connected, go to settings, Network connection / Wifi Tap 'Advanced' and pick 'Internet Connection' in the 'Diagnostic Information' list.
    Then look for the IP of the Primary and Secondary DNS )

Hopefully, you will see 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    If everything is fine, the you should find out the DNS server of your internet provider, and enter these address the router configuration.

If you still see 192.168.1.1 on the Z10 , this would indicate that the router is NOT passing the DNS address but is acting more like a proxy .. and I will not have any other suggestion that to try to see if there is a firmware upgrade available for the router ...

Please let us know your finding . - Good luck !
    04-12-13 04:47 PM
    I will have to try to make some sceen shot .. because I am very surprised you have 192.168.1.1 in there ...
    04-12-13 04:49 PM

If you still see 192.168.1.1 on the Z10 , this would indicate that the router is NOT passing the DNS address but is acting more like a proxy .. and I will not have any other suggestion that to try to see if there is a firmware upgrade available for the router ...

Please let us know your finding . - Good luck !
    I am very very very sad right now! Primary DNS still 192.168.1.1, Secondary DNS.. blank
    IP address: 192.168.1.3

So is my router defective? Because it works perfectly with my laptop and my other phone.. I'm so sad.. =(
    04-12-13 04:57 PM
    I will have to try to make some sceen shot .. because I am very surprised you have 192.168.1.1 in there ...
    I can't tell who you are responding to Braird. If this response was to me, my Server name was 10.10.10.1.
    04-12-13 04:58 PM
    soooooo sad!

couldn't resolve the host name-img_00000113.jpg
    04-12-13 04:59 PM
    I am not saying it is defective ... I am just saying that your Z10 and router are having a problem at understanding each other ...
    this is not the same thing ...

The fact that the DNS lookup is working on the Z10 when you use something different than the IP of you router does indicate that. I will have to look back carefully at the message you posted ..

Do not despair yet ...
    04-12-13 05:01 PM
    Well you obviously BOTH have the same problem ...

Do me yet another favor and check one more thing for me .
    On the Z10, go to settings / Network connection / Wi-Fi
    then tap the 'saved' icon at the bottom of the screen and tap the name of your network
    This should display the configuration of your WIFI profile.

Is the Enable IPv6 option set ton On or Off ( if on try turning OFF )

The next thing we can try is to disable the "Auto Optain IP", this would allow to configure the DNS manually
    04-12-13 05:14 PM

Is the Enable IPv6 option set ton On or Off ( if on try turning OFF )- it's OFF..

The next thing we can try is to disable the "Auto Optain IP", this would allow to configure the DNS manually..
    I disable "Auto Obtain IP" what should I put there?
    04-12-13 05:28 PM
    ok ..
    after you disable "Auto Obtain Ip"

you enter :
    IP address : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
    Primary DNS : 8.8.8.8
    Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

and give it a shot

@21stNOW

you should not use these settings since your network is 10.x.x.x
    ( you wrote 10.10.10.1, but I believe it is 10.0.10.1 please confirm )
    04-12-13 05:33 PM
77 123 ...