Microsoft is really trying to win developers to WP8. Could or should BlackBerry follow suit?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/06/w...-wp8-software/

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 05:15 PM
    BB should trying anything they can but they just dont have the $$$ to do it at this point.
    08-06-13 05:25 PM
    I dont see how that draws developers to the platform. It's not a development tool. Its a quick and easy way to produce apps based on existing web content, twitter, blog, youtube etc using a premade template (or just building in content like pictures into the app).

Also BB has pretty much the same thing: BlackBerry� App Generator

Its rare to see a decent app come out of it, mostly just junk that they can use to pad total app count.
    08-06-13 05:34 PM
    I dont see how that draws developers to the platform. It's not a development tool. Its a quick and easy way to produce apps based on existing web content, twitter, blog, youtube etc using a premade template (or just building in content like pictures into the app).

Its rare to see a decent app come out of it, mostly just junk that they can use to pad total app count.
    I made my first BB10 app with the app generator and it's actually better than a professional version of the same app on iPhone. It's pretty decent if the website just puts up posts and no need to comment or interact with it.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 05:57 PM

I wouldn't compare the two exactly. Microsoft's tool is much more flexible and feature rich.

I do agree with your premise that it will likely result in a bunch of junk like the app generator did though.

If they want to get non-developers into making apps, they should look at something like the Android app inventor experiment that Google had a couple years ago.
    08-06-13 06:00 PM
    I made my first BB10 app with the app generator and it's actually better than a professional version of the same app on iPhone. It's pretty decent if the website just puts up posts and no need to comment or interact with it.
    Right, but do you think it attracted 1 big name developer? My point here is that yeah more small developers is always great, but BBs issue isn't that right now, it's getting the big names on board. These app generators are not going to get any interest from companies like Netflix, Shazam, Instagram etc...

Like I said these app generators are about padding the total app count. There are very very few apps made from these things with any value.
    08-06-13 06:09 PM
    BlackBerry should do developer contests with good prices and pay a lot of attention what developers do and want on the BlackBerry platform. If they don't they won't be ad big as Samsung after all developers made same sung what it is today.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 06:13 PM
    BlackBerry should do developer contests with good prices and pay a lot of attention what developers do and want on the BlackBerry platform. If they don't they won't be ad big as Samsung after all developers made same sung what it is today.

Posted via CB10
    Ummm, they spent much of the past 18 months doing just that. There were numerous developer events where free devices and prizes were handed out. Other events like the Hackathons where app bounties were paid.

No, they haven't done a lot of that lately but I expect the activity to ramp up again as we get closer to the 10.2 launch.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    howarmat likes this.
    08-06-13 06:52 PM