Serious question -- what type of marketing does Lenovo do?
    I have an X220 and only found it because I was searching for a powerful but light laptop with a decent battery and the IT guy at work suggested looking at Lenovo.
    It is mainly done via resellers and who already have established relationships with business customers....

They just get the request and we provide them with the insight and knowledge to offer the right products

Within the consumer market we are a quite unknown and are still selling quite dramatically. It is kinda an elitist thing to have and to know lenovo products. Most of it is purely word of mouth...

When you have the right product, they will come

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 12:46 PM
    Good God, hell NO.
    EMC is the worst market player in the storage market, peddling laughably overpriced crappy solutions on the small and medium markets, and very capable but inefficiently designed high-end iron at pure ripoff prices (when support is factored in.

I am fine Lenovo buying BB but DO NOT MODEL ANYTHING AFTER EMC, that's the end of innovation, for sure.
    Well.... EMC are the leaders in this area according to Gartner, so they must be doing something right....
    http://www.gartner.com/technology/re...t=130321&st=sb

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 12:59 PM
    What source? You are either familiar with federal procurement and then you know it or you have no clue and it does not matter because you are apparently unable to even google something.
    (And no, it's not about meeting MILSPEC, it's about supplying office and field equipment for non-combat applications.)
    Cheers for that. This is the thing that kills BlackBerry. Misinformation....

The DOD in Australia has rejected claims itpro.co.uk/desktop-hardware/20301/lenovo-security-services-pc-ban-denied-australian-department-defence

Lenovo has been the first Chinese company to adhere to the standards in accounting and reporting as any publicly traded company in the west. The manufacturing is not only happening in China bit in various countries and just the University which helped fund the company has retained the investment gain in shares.

It is a global company just like Microsoft where shareholder value and pride in the products created is driving the innovation.
    It still feels like a young and very flexible company, striving to become a brand everybody knows...

I should not try writing such long posts on the bus...

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 01:05 PM
    Well.... EMC are the leaders in this area according to Gartner, so they must be doing something right....
    http://www.gartner.com/technology/re...t=130321&st=sb

Posted via CB10
    Ick Gartner!?! I think they have wasted more US federal dollars on analysis and recommendations than anyone.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 02:49 PM
    It is mainly done via resellers and who already have established relationships with business customers....

They just get the request and we provide them with the insight and knowledge to offer the right products

Within the consumer market we are a quite unknown and are still selling quite dramatically. It is kinda an elitist thing to have and to know lenovo products. Most of it is purely word of mouth...

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the info. Not a fan of the Idea brand but do like the Thinkpads.

BTW, one thing I did not like was how long it took to get my Thinkpad shipped. Also, the accessories took forever too.
    08-19-13 09:13 PM
    Magic Quadrant for General-Purpose Disk Arrays

Posted via CB10
    Gartner's crap is about market share, despite all their claims it has little to do with innovation or anything like that.

EMC's biggest move in the past 10 years was when Tucci bought VMware, nothing else. Other than the very high end EMC boxes are downright mediocre with a laughably high price tag (remember, support cost for 3-5 years must be accounted for in your quote.)
    08-20-13 11:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I've ordered ours through a VAR... speaking of which, you just reminded me to renew the support of my work X201...
    Last edited by szlevi; 08-21-13 at 12:30 AM.
    08-20-13 11:38 AM
    Gartner's crap is about market share, despite all their claims it has little to do with innovation or anything like that.

EMC's biggest move in the past 10 years was when Tucci bought VMware, nothing else. Other than the very high end EMC boxes are downright mediocre with a laughably high price tag (remember, support cost for 3-5 years must be accounted for in your quote.)
    And then you have BlackBerry with amazing technology which just does not get traction....
    Many forget how crucial marketing is.

Fujitsu has the problem that their solutions are amazing in this field, however most are just unaware of them. Especially when I discuss a project and mention the Lenovo EMC solution, they just quote it and most of the time it's getting sold.

The same could happen with a BlackBerry partnership. The service providers become aware of it and whenever you discuss projects, you can bring it up and sell it.

The relationships you have with resellers and service providers is critical in generating sales. When you are just dealing with clients on your own, you run into the problem that they are forced to think of just that problem right now and you cannot just mention it while discussing more pressing matters.

Right now the only partners you have are the carriers which just tell you to get an iPhone and be done with it.

Most of my friends have never heard of Lenovo because the Enterprise sector is so massive that we can be number 1 in PC sales without the average Joe knowing of our existence.

What you get now is that every Tom, **** and Harry proclaiming that BlackBerry is dead and the new phones are terrible.

Shoving millions upon millions marketing is the only way to educate them.

It is much wiser to just ignore them and focus on the decision makers and trend setters

Having a strong partner helps with credibility and perception.

This is why it seems that Frank Boulben is doing a terrible job. He just does not want to waste money on the wrong crowd.

BES and Enterprise is nice and sweet but it's just the game of " same old, same old" either you are renewing you system because your contract is running out or you don't.

Look at how many people on the forum are waiting for their contracts to expire.

Having Lenovo next to them would just signal that you won't buy something which is DOA and buy them time.

You would laugh if I told you how many years company can take until they upgrade.... Windows 7 has been replaced and just because the XP support is running out, they are frantically upgrading their systems... I am talking about 768MB memory, 40GB HDD with the good old Pentium 4 radiators built in.

When it does the job well enough you don't change until you have to.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 12:33 PM
133 ... 456