Interesting Read.. Seems like their could be a lot of potential for Blackberry to get some customers back and pick up a lot more if they try BES10

Mobile Workers: ‘I Want My Blackberry Back’ | CIO
    Corbu, Carterbits, rarsen and 15 others like this.
    07-21-14 12:05 PM
    The Classic is a corporate suction cup, it will be released with BES12

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    07-21-14 12:08 PM
    This article is what I have been saying all along. The handsets currently out there are no match for BlackBerry, the move by Heinz to take BlackBerry in the other direction was a major mistake.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 12:19 PM
    This article is what I have been saying all along. The handsets currently out there are no match for BlackBerry, the move by Heinz to take BlackBerry in the other direction was a major mistake.

Posted via CB10
    After reading this article I really feel like saying to all the BYOD evangelists: I told you so but then folks may think I'm having fun at the expense of their ignorance.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3247
    07-21-14 12:29 PM
    After reading this article I really feel like saying to all the BYOD evangelists: I told you so but then folks may think I'm having fun at the expense of their ignorance.

It's not a matter of I told you so, it's exactly what it is, we were looking at alternatives when BlackBerry was having the meltdown, there was none on the market that could have compared for corporate use on many levels. Its a fact and trying to taint it isn't going to change the facts.

Posted via CB10
    m1kr0 likes this.
    07-21-14 12:32 PM
    Now how do you BYOD in a corporate environment when your device security is as leaky as a sieve: http://www.zdnet.com/forensic-scient...ce-7000031795/

07-21-14 12:36 PM
    Now how do you BYOD in a corporate environment when your device security is as leaky as a sieve: Forensic scientist identifies suspicious 'back doors' running on every iOS device | ZDNet

http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-i.../#post10625362 that's a separate discussion here lol
    07-21-14 12:44 PM
    What this really makes me wonder is how come no other company that has much more resources (such as Apple and Samsung) and yet they have not been able to match what BlackBerry can do in security. I have to admit I do not know all the in's and out's of what BlackBerry does to be so amazingly secure, but whatever they are doing, why can't Apple spend their resources (which they seem to have endless amounts of!) and they also have the corporate users who switched to iPhone in the past couple years. Why have they not put the money in to develop more secure software...or do what BlackBerry has an create an Apple Enterprise Server? Not saying I want them to! I am very happy they haven't as it is allowing BlackBerry to re-enter the market with their bread and butter just like they did when they first came onto the scene!

Just curious if anyone knows, why (for this sake) has Apple not tried to create their own secure network outside of their consumer product? I know they have partnered with IBM, but still not the same as BlackBerry and their security. Samsung had their Knox but that tanked...As much bad new that has surrounded BlackBerry, they really are untouched in this section of the industry and I am shocked and so excited that no one seems to be able to compete!
    07-21-14 12:46 PM
    Apples idea of secure is restrict user interaction at the interface level (which is why jailbreak is possible). Android's idea is open it up so everyone can check it and find any holes, hopefully contributing to their mitigation.

BlackBerry's approach is to build on top of security. It's slower, since it means making sure each new feature doesn't compromise the secure environment... but much more controlled and supposedly accountable.

Just a different approach,.. unfortunately it is slow and if you don't care for its merits,.. all you will see is that it is slow.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and tayl0rd like this.
    07-21-14 12:56 PM
    To add to your questions. Why Samsung, Apple, Window, Google or even IBM did not snatch up BlackBerry while it was on fire sale for a little over $5 billions last year?

Posted via CB10
    toneytone likes this.
    07-21-14 12:58 PM
    To add to your questions. Why Samsung, Apple, Window, Google or even IBM did not snatch up BlackBerry while it was on fire sale for a little over $5 billions last year?

Posted via CB10
    Well, IBM was poking around. Seems a lot of people forget that. Not implying you did, just saying - IBM informally inquired about possible acquisition of enterprise services unit of RIM | CrackBerry.com
    07-21-14 01:00 PM
    The Classic is a corporate suction cup, it will be released with BES12

Posted via CB10
    "suction cup"... nice

Many current BES customers have been holding off pulling the trigger on an upgrade, choosing to wait things out and see if BlackBerry gets their collective stuff together. And fortunately (at least for BB), the competition hasn't been exactly compelling.

Now that BlackBerry at least appears to be turning the corner, I'm sure many CIOs are feeling comfortable with BES10/12 migrations.

I think you're right about the Classic being a big device for corporate; it will be rolling out about the time BES12 comes out and will make the offering all the more compelling.
    SubCamp and AthenaSmith like this.
    07-21-14 01:03 PM
    Well, IBM was poking around. Seems a lot of people forget that. Not implying you did, just saying - IBM informally inquired about possible acquisition of enterprise services unit of RIM | CrackBerry.com
    Not to mention that Microsoft and Amazon at least kicked the tires...

I think everybody pretty much assumed that BlackBerry was going to die a natural death and its IP would end up on the open market for the highest bidder.
    Irish Blues and Playbook007 like this.
    07-21-14 01:19 PM
    Not to mention that Microsoft and Amazon at least kicked the tires...

I think everybody pretty much assumed that BlackBerry was going to die a natural death and its IP would end up on the open market for the highest bidder.
    Heinz and the then board panicked, putting up the company for sale did quite a bit of damage, Prem Watsa made the right moves to prevent further damage. Not knowing what you have and the strengths therein is a a silly mistake.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and alan510 like this.
    07-21-14 01:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree, BlackBerry should have stuck to what they know rather than trying to go after Consumers.
    07-21-14 02:04 PM
    This is no surprise to those that know about the risks of BYOD and importance of end-to-end solutions (built from ground up business device being at one end of it).

Looks like Privacy and Security bit the bottoms of employees in that didn't think they cared about privacy and security. Will also create a ripple effect into their consciousness about their own personal devices. So back to carrying two devices OR use a BB10 device that gives you best of both worlds.

John Chen's focus on enterprise strategy: On track

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 and AthenaSmith like this.
    07-21-14 02:07 PM
    Heinz and the then board panicked, putting up the company for sale did quite a bit of damage, Prem Watsa made the right moves to prevent further damage. Not knowing what you have and the strengths therein is a a silly mistake.

Posted via CB10
    Whomever sat on that board to make that decision putting it up for sale in public that is still there today needs to be kicked off.

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 likes this.
    07-21-14 02:12 PM
    Yeah I remember that there's rumour and speculation just about any companies was interested in acquiring BlackBerry. I'm glad no one did. However, I am thinking companies can't be that short sighted and not thinking that BlackBerry has such potential value in the enterprise market moving forward. Were there some deterrence either by BlackBerry or the government beyond the $5 billion price tag that all these interested parties just walk away from the deal?
    07-21-14 03:28 PM
    I'm not sure it's going to be very easy for company's to turn away from the BOYD environment. We shall see.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-21-14 03:58 PM
    I'm not sure it's going to be very easy for company's to turn away from the BOYD environment. We shall see.

I've seen a piece somewhere talking about the total cost of BYOD being higher that the BES/ BlackBerry handset solution. I so wish I can find that reference now. Perhaps cost may bring them back?

07-21-14 04:07 PM
    I've seen a piece somewhere talking about the total cost of BYOD being higher that the BES/ BlackBerry handset solution. I so wish I can find that reference now. Perhaps cost may bring them back?

Maybe, but like ecosystems once you invest in them it's hard to do a 180. We'll see though.

07-21-14 04:10 PM
    I agree, BlackBerry should have stuck to what they know rather than trying to go after Consumers.
    I see your point, and agree somewhat, but I don't know that BBRY had a choice.
    neo158 likes this.
    07-21-14 04:17 PM

My employer was looking at it, and we had a couple of users trialing it out. I was one of them, and am now the only user in my company using my own personal device with Balance.

We stepped away from BYOD for several reasons. The two most important ones were 1) more difficult end-user support and 2) no clear way to reimburse employees for work data/voice use on their personal phones. Neither of these issues apply to me personally, since I am willing to support myself--AND I'm one of the BES admins so I can resolve my own issues. As far as voice/data charges go, I'm willing to cover those myself just for the luxury of having only one device.

There ARE costs to BYOD, though, and some companies that embraced the idea are starting to back away from it.
    rarsen likes this.
    07-21-14 04:19 PM
    My employer was looking at it, and we had a couple of users trialing it out. I was one of them, and am now the only user in my company using my own personal device with Balance.

We stepped away from BYOD for several reasons. The two most important ones were 1) more difficult end-user support and 2) no clear way to reimburse employees for work data/voice use on their personal phones. Neither of these issues apply to me personally, since I am willing to support myself--AND I'm one of the BES admins so I can resolve my own issues. As far as voice/data charges go, I'm willing to cover those myself just for the luxury of having only one device.

There ARE costs to BYOD, though, and some companies that embraced the idea are starting to back away from it.
    Totally makes sense: end to end solution has to be more cost efficient than make shift add-ons (read Good and others)

07-21-14 04:40 PM
    I'm thinking some of these companies thought BlackBerry was going to crash and burn and then they could buy it at a fire sale price, then came along Mr.Chen, and ruined their plans.
    gokulesh, Jrox74 and Playbook007 like this.
    07-21-14 04:44 PM
71 123