As a dedicated work device, my old 9900 runs circles around my Q10.
    Deep customization allows this. Phone/Email/Text/Calendar/Social Feeds are all I need for work and I assume the rest of BBs corporate base.

To say one is better than the other depends on usage pattern.
    My needs were far better met with the OS7 than BlackBerry 10. The new OS lost too much of the good stuff while it was busy trying to be a "me too" OS. Several of the reasons I stuck with BlackBerry so long aren't even on BB10.
    11-13-13 11:29 PM
    My needs were far better met with the OS7 than BlackBerry 10. The new OS lost too much of the good stuff while it was busy trying to be a "me too" OS. Several of the reasons I stuck with BlackBerry so long aren't even on BB10.
    Can I ask what in particular you miss about bb7? I have a bb7 work phone and I can't even stand using it anymore. Takes forever to do anything, like open pdf's

Posted from my 295ppi super amoled s stripe 720p Z30
    11-13-13 11:44 PM
    Can I ask what in particular you miss about bb7? I have a bb7 work phone and I can't even stand using it anymore. Takes forever to do anything, like open pdf's

Posted from my 295ppi super amoled s stripe 720p Z30
    Instant email
    Dialing a contact from the keyboard on the home screen
    Individual email account icons + messages instead of being forced to use the hub
    Quicklaunch
    Notification bar that gave me all the info I needed about a new message quickly with only one action from the home screen every single time
    Auto text that works in all applications instead of only some
    Being able to read a email, hit delete and be brought to the next email automatically instead of going back to the list view of all emails
    BIS
    Headless applications
    The trackpad, menu and back buttons. Gestures are fun for a few days though
    Being able to customize my device beyond changing the wallpaper and order of icons
    Sound profiles
    Individual audio notifications for each indivual contact and account

There are more, but those are the big ones. Bottom line, I was more productive with the older BlackBerry operating system. I receive too many emails everyday to deal with BlackBerry 10's horrible notification system and the Hub. I also hated how inconsistent the experience was. Go into some apps, even apps made by BlackBerry such as Google Talk, and your auto text dont work. Or go into a BBM conversation and it is stuck in portrait unless you launched it from the Hub.

BlackBerry 7 had lags, slow downs and ya had to reboot more often, but when it was working, it allowed me to get stuff done more efficiently than BB10 did. BlackBerry should have made BlackBerry 10 into a copy of the legacy OS with good hardware and less hour glassing. Maybe then BlackBerry 10 devices would finally out sell the legacy devices.
    kevinnugent and nogutsnoglory like this.
    11-14-13 12:08 AM
    Instant email
    Already has it.

Dialing a contact from the keyboard on the home screen
    10.2.1.1055 has it.

Individual email account icons + messages instead of being forced to use the hub
    Open the left menu in the Hub. Do you see all those icons?

Quicklaunch
    I don't know what this is, but if it's assigning application shortcuts to keys, then I agree.

Notification bar that gave me all the info I needed about a new message quickly with only one action from the home screen every single time
    Swipe up and don't let go. Along the left there will be a row of icons with a number beside each icon, and a spark if it is new. The number corresponds to the number of unread messages.

Auto text that works in all applications instead of only some
    It's never not worked for me. I know there's a setting to turn it on/off for SMS, presumably because people like to use txt-tlk when text messaging. Except sometimes in Android ports it doesn't work.

Being able to read a email, hit delete and be brought to the next email automatically instead of going back to the list view of all emails
    You're right. I can see where this would be useful.
    But we got delete on server+handhel or just handheld!

BIS
    Why?

Headless applications
    Sorely needed. But... they're coming "soon".

The trackpad, menu and back buttons. Gestures are fun for a few days though
    In reality, there's no real advantage to these. For those who used the old devices for years, I can see where it would be hard to adapt, but they're really not necessary. I'd rather have the bigger screen.

Being able to customize my device beyond changing the wallpaper and order of icons
    Like themes? I don't see how those provided functionality boosts.

Sound profiles
    No custom global profiles, but per contact. I think Clewley said this was coming.

Individual audio notifications for each indivual contact and account
    Like I said above, we already have that. I've been using this since 10.1 I think. Maybe it was 10.2.

There are more, but those are the big ones. Bottom line, I was more productive with the older BlackBerry operating system. I receive too many emails everyday to deal with BlackBerry 10's horrible notification system and the Hub. I also hated how inconsistent the experience was. Go into some apps, even apps made by BlackBerry such as Google Talk, and your auto text dont work. Or go into a BBM conversation and it is stuck in portrait unless you launched it from the Hub.

BlackBerry 7 had lags, slow downs and ya had to reboot more often, but when it was working, it allowed me to get stuff done more efficiently than BB10 did. BlackBerry should have made BlackBerry 10 into a copy of the legacy OS with good hardware and less hour glassing. Maybe then BlackBerry 10 devices would finally out sell the legacy devices.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by chaz95; 11-14-13 at 12:35 AM.
    11-14-13 12:17 AM
    Already has it.
    Let me guess, you've never used legacy OS. Instant email as in send yourself an email from the web browser on your PC and your phone goes off before the browser is done loading after you pressed send. The old BlackBerry devices could and did do that, the new BlackBerry has the same email speed as all other smart phones.

Open the left menu in the Hub. Do you see all those icons?
    Wow, did you even read what you replied to? I said "individual account icons instead of being forced to use the Hub" and you mention the icons within in the hub? How do you use those icons without entering the Hub? Lol the legacy OS had optional, individual account icons that were separate from the hub (aka messages) and could be put on the home screen. What you mention isn't the same thing at all and cause me to believe that you've never used the legacy OS

I don't know what this is, but if it's assigning application shortcuts to keys, then I agree.
    You really don't know what QuickLaunch is? Yeah, I'm pretty sure you've never used the legacy OS. I don't think k it is possible to use the legacy OS and not know what QL is.

Swipe up and don't let go. Along the left there will be a row of icons with a number beside each icon, and a spark if it is new. The number corresponds to the number of unread messages.
    Again, did you read what you quoted from? Swiping over and seeing icons with numbers next to them doesn't tell you anything about the notification. With the older BlackBerry OS, we had a notification bar. You swiped down and it told you who sent the message, the subject and stuff like that. That is quite a bit more informative than a number next to an icon. Don't you agree? If not, well you'd be happy to know that the old OS had the numbers next to the icons as well.

It's never not worked for me. I know there's a setting to turn it on/off for SMS, presumably because people like to use txt-tlk when text messaging. Except sometimes in Android ports it doesn't work.
    Do you use the BB10 G talk app? It never worked in that app. Not once the entire time I owned BB10 devices. Even though BlackBerry wrote the app, it didn't support auto text. Get used to using auto text in emails, then lose it when you go to use Gtalk? Inconsistent.

Like themes? I don't see how those provided functionality boosts.
    You've never used a BlackBerry theme in your life have you? If so, are you really going to say a Today theme doesn't provide a functionality boost? Really?
    kevinnugent likes this.
    11-14-13 01:11 AM
    Let me guess, you've never used legacy OS. Instant email as in send yourself an email from the web browser on your PC and your phone goes off before the browser is done loading after you pressed send. The old BlackBerry devices could and did do that, the new BlackBerry has the same email speed as all other smart phones.

Wow, did you even read what you replied to? I said "individual account icons instead of being forced to use the Hub" and you mention the icons within in the hub? How do you use those icons without entering the Hub? Lol the legacy OS had optional, individual account icons that were separate from the hub (aka messages) and could be put on the home screen. What you mention isn't the same thing at all and cause me to believe that you've never used the legacy OS

You really don't know what QuickLaunch is? Yeah, I'm pretty sure you've never used the legacy OS. I don't think k it is possible to use the legacy OS and not know what QL is.

Again, did you read what you quoted from? Swiping over and seeing icons with numbers next to them doesn't tell you anything about the notification. With the older BlackBerry OS, we had a notification bar. You swiped down and it told you who sent the message, the subject and stuff like that. That is quite a bit more informative than a number next to an icon. Don't you agree? If not, well you'd be happy to know that the old OS had the numbers next to the icons as well.

Do you use the BB10 G talk app? It never worked in that app. Not once the entire time I owned BB10 devices. Even though BlackBerry wrote the app, it didn't support auto text. Get used to using auto text in emails, then lose it when you go to use Gtalk? Inconsistent.

You've never used a BlackBerry theme in your life have you? If so, are you really going to say a Today theme doesn't provide a functionality boost? Really?

Posted via CB10

You're right and you're wrong regarding the separate icons and the hub. If you really want to make it closer to a legacy device, you can. Just go into hub management and set it up so only your emails are shown in the main hub. With everything else turned off, you're forced to use the dedicated app icons to access them. Unless you choose to swipe right in the hub. It's not as if there aren't icons for BBM, SMS, etc. The only problem, which you do have a point, is that there is no icon dedicated to each email you have so you're forced to view them all in the hub. The OS can be manipulated to suit your wants more than you think it can.

The closest thing we have to quick launch is docushort. You can make a home screen icon for quick access to certain documents or settings. I use it for nfc for example. Justchitvthe icona nd it prompts me to turn nfc on or off instead of going into settings, hitting connections, selecting nfc, then turning it on. Again the downfall is it ls limited to documents and your settings items
    11-14-13 06:27 AM
    Can someone please confirm for me if they have updated Google Talk to use auto text or not?

I haven't used BlackBerry 10 in awhile, but that is one thing that always drove me nuts because I'd get used to typing in my short form with everything automatically corrected to long form and then use GTalk, which I use constantly to communicate with friends and family and couldn't use the auto text feature at all. That inconsistency was instantly noticeable and present on every BlackBerry 10 software version I used.

I am hoping it has been fixed with a update by now.
    11-14-13 06:55 AM
    You're right and you're wrong regarding the separate icons and the hub. If you really want to make it closer to a legacy device, you can. Just go into hub management and set it up so only your emails are shown in the main hub. With everything else turned off, you're forced to use the dedicated app icons to access them. Unless you choose to swipe right in the hub. It's not as if there aren't icons for BBM, SMS, etc. The only problem, which you do have a point, is that there is no icon dedicated to each email you have so you're forced to view them all in the hub. The OS can be manipulated to suit your wants more than you think it can.
    I think you're missing my point. Here are some screen shots for you.

Convinced another BlackBerry user to stay with BlackBerry-ql_1111945032.jpg

Convinced another BlackBerry user to stay with BlackBerry-screen.jpg

None of those screen shots were taken by me, but what do they each have in common? Each of those BlackBerry users had individual email account icons in the very top row of their homescreen. Look through the screenshot threads here, and you'll notice that the vast majority of screenshots taken from legacy devices include at least one email account icon in the top row. Why is that? I mean BlackBerry legacy OS always had the Hub as well. So why is it so common to see individual email account icons in the first row of icons on the homescreen of older BlackBerry devices? Why didn't those BlackBerry users put the Messages (aka the Hub) icon in the top row and delete all of the other email icons?

See, having those icons in the top row meant that you were never more than one action away from the homescreen to reaching the email account you needed to go to. One action, and you are there every single time. With the Hub, that isn't possible. Even what you described above can't get you into the specific account you need in one action from the homescreen every single time. What you described is still enter the Hub from the homescreen and then push the account icon.

It might not seem like much, but multiple that one extra step by a few hundred emails each day and then you'll see how that one extra step really ads up.

It's not as if there aren't icons for BBM, SMS, etc. The only problem, which you do have a point, is that there is no icon dedicated to each email you have so you're forced to view them all in the hub.
    Also, this right here only furthers my point about BlackBerry 10 being inconsistent. Why are there icons for BBM, SMS and etc. when there isn't any for emails? Why have icons for some of the things in the Hub, but not all of them? Wouldn't that be considered inconsistent?
    11-14-13 07:41 AM
    I think you're missing my point. Here are some screen shots for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QL_1111945032.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	220673

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	220674

None of those screen shots were taken by me, but what do they each have in common? Each of those BlackBerry users had individual email account icons in the very top row of their homescreen. Look through the screenshot threads here, and you'll notice that the vast majority of screenshots taken from legacy devices include at least one email account icon in the top row. Why is that? I mean BlackBerry legacy OS always had the Hub as well. So why is it so common to see individual email account icons in the first row of icons on the homescreen of older BlackBerry devices? Why didn't those BlackBerry users put the Messages (aka the Hub) icon in the top row and delete all of the other email icons?

See, having those icons in the top row meant that you were never more than one action away from the homescreen to reaching the email account you needed to go to. One action, and you are there every single time. With the Hub, that isn't possible. Even what you described above can't get you into the specific account you need in one action from the homescreen every single time. What you described is still enter the Hub from the homescreen and then push the account icon.

It might not seem like much, but multiple that one extra step by a few hundred emails each day and then you'll see how that one extra step really ads up.

Also, this right here only furthers my point about BlackBerry 10 being inconsistent. Why are there icons for BBM, SMS and etc. when there isn't any for emails? Why have icons for some of the things in the Hub, but not all of them? Wouldn't that be considered inconsistent?
    Hence the reason I said you're correct regarding email accounts. But in all honesty, is it that difficult to swipe up and to the right from where ever you are in the OS? That takes you to the hub were all your emails are. And I have my accounts colour coded so I know which are which. I don't think it's that big of a deal really. I would however like the colour coding to be more pronounced.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 08:13 AM
    I tell people, "if you want security go with BlackBerry. If you want a hand held toy go with Apple or Android. Only you know what you want to do with your phone."

It's the only reason I'm using a blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    Don't take this the wrong way because I am a huge BBY fan (currently contemplating switching from my iphone to my 9930 because of how much I appreciate the BBY OS). But to make such a general statement about security is in my opinion misleading. BBY security is fantastic if on BES but for those not on BES your phone is not much more secure than the iPhone. Sorry to disappoint you but it's true.
    11-14-13 10:57 AM
    removed as not worth it
    Last edited by darkehawke; 11-14-13 at 04:03 PM.
    11-14-13 11:05 AM
    Why would you convince someone to buy a product that holds no value? I bought the z10 for �400+ and now its �169 within 5 months its depreciated so much. Why? Because the way BB is ran as a company is a joke with their bugs and lack of support from major application makers. The management and development team is a joke. At the end of the day slate Apple / Andriod as much as you want but all mobiles now do almost the same thing but in a different way through its GUI. Atleast, apple and android is ran properly and shares aren't dropping ludicrously low - CRISIS.
    Apple shares dropped from 700 to 400 after iPhone 5 launch, just sayin

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 12:54 PM
    I think the issue comes down to marketing and apps....

Good job on informing the 2. I love my Q10 10. I just want 10.2.1 already.

Posted with my Q10
    11-14-13 01:12 PM
    Hence the reason I said you're correct regarding email accounts. But in all honesty, is it that difficult to swipe up and to the right from where ever you are in the OS? That takes you to the hub were all your emails are. And I have my accounts colour coded so I know which are which. I don't think it's that big of a deal really. I would however like the colour coding to be more pronounced.

Posted via CB10
    What happened to efficiency?
    7.1 is far better at communication than 10.
    The latest leak brings it a step closer but it's still no 7.1
    If I wanted to check look at all the emails in one account, tap icon and done.
    On 10, it's swipe to hub, swipe to accounts and tap icon. Not backbreaking I agree but still not as fast.

Posted via CB10
    Saiga likes this.
    11-14-13 02:02 PM
39 12