It's time for BlackBerry to create and release an Android consumer device. BlackBerry has proved it's the king of the enterprise and now should give the consumer space some attention via Android.

Using Android would cut down on costs and appeal to consumers due to familiarity and the "something different " effect. BlackBerry would have free reign to code whatever they like with barriers.

The one thing that they can't do is call it a "BlackBerry". The device must have its own identity.

Thoughts?

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Passport
    03-06-15 11:29 AM
    It's time for BlackBerry to create and release an Android consumer device. BlackBerry has proved it's the king of the enterprise and now should give the consumer space some attention via Android.

Using Android would cut down on costs and appeal to consumers due to familiarity and the "something different " effect. BlackBerry would have free reign to code whatever they like with barriers.

The one thing that they can't do is call it a "BlackBerry". The device must have its own identity.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are how has Blackberry demonstrated that its the King of Enterprise when it isn't the King of Enterprise?
    03-06-15 11:42 AM
    I would never buy a Blackberry Android device.

Android would run like crap, and never be as good as it could be.

If I'm going Android, I'm just getting a nexus device.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 11:46 AM
    No need for a Blackberry Android device....

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 11:55 AM
    BlackBerry is going to try to make money from the Android crowd by selling the new software suites, not by going to the trouble of joining Google's OHA and sacrificing the BB10 Android runtime environment.

To be fair, Bla1ze did discuss the idea of BlackBerry ditching the runtime from BB10 in order to join the OHA in another thread. The idea was to go full Android, but to add a BB10 runtime environment to run BB10 apps, so this new BB device could still have native access to the Google Play Store. There would be a lot of trade-offs with this approach, but it's fun to think about some of them.
    BB_Junky and Randal Yandal like this.
    03-06-15 12:42 PM
    No need for a Blackberry Android device....

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, BlackBerry can contain their apps in a secure container and provide the secure container to users on android, iOS, and Win phone. So the statement is actually no need for BlackBerry hardware.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 01:10 PM
    Why bother with the inherent inefficiency of a BB10 runtime just to run Blackberry apps? Blackberry is already making Android apps so they already have apps that will run on an Android Blackberry.
    03-06-15 01:43 PM
    Just so I'm clear, I think BlackBerry should have two lines of devices; the blackberry 10 line and the Android line. The Android line would be a device that caters to consumers. The BB10 line would be what it is today, enterprise catered.

03-07-15 05:51 AM
    As a business person myself, I would buy a "hybrid" device from Blackberry and what I mean by a hybrid, would be a Android OS with Blackberry refinements such as the Hub, Calendar, and their security measures embedded into the OS.

This would solve the app issue once and for all and yes the device would have its own identity being it would be running the Blackberry software as a front end.

They already said they are going to market some of OS10 features to the enterprise sector for Android and IOS! Why not have a hybrid device for the consumer market?

I think with the latest security breaches and hacks, the device would appeal to a larger sector then you think, just a thought.

Sent from from "rounded corner" passport on T Mobile USA
    03-07-15 06:53 AM
    Just so I'm clear, I think BlackBerry should have two lines of devices; the blackberry 10 line and the Android line. The Android line would be a device that caters to consumers. The BB10 line would be what it is today, enterprise catered.

It would only have a chance of working if there was a huge advertising campaign so consumers knew it was available, and we all know BlackBerry doesn't do that.

Z30 STA100-5 running 10.3.1.2267
    03-07-15 06:54 AM
    Exactly, BlackBerry can contain their apps in a secure container and provide the secure container to users on android, iOS, and Win phone. So the statement is actually no need for BlackBerry hardware.

Posted via CB10
    I love BlackBerry HW, unlike the plasticky Android OEM stuff

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 06:57 AM
    BlackBerry and Android....bull****

With diplomatic Passport
    03-07-15 07:00 AM
    We love BlackBerry cause its far above then Android

With diplomatic Passport
    03-07-15 07:00 AM
    Why should they release an Android device when they own the most stable, secure and reliable OS on the planet? QNX.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 08:04 AM
    I love BlackBerry HW, unlike the plasticky Android OEM stuff

Posted via CB10
    BB devices are plastic

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    pantlesspenguin and Z10NIZED like this.
    03-07-15 08:45 AM
    BB devices are plastic

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    If you hold a Samsung S5 and a Classic or Passport, u will understand.

Posted via Classic
    igor10000 likes this.
    03-07-15 09:07 AM
    I think full Google Play with Google Service as an app store on current BlackBerry devices will be sufficient. BlackBerry needs to concentrate on reclaiming its standings in Enterprise, repair its stagnant image, build back its carrier support and continue refining OS10. Not look into building another phone on a completely different platform. We already have gazillion Android phones out there, in a variety of sizes, build and price ranges. BlackBerry should be a niche player and not get lost in the glut of Android devices.

Posted via Classic
    stevobbm likes this.
    03-07-15 09:11 AM

Thoughts?

How would producing an Android device cut down on costs? The Leap and Classic are very low end devices by today's standards and you can see the cost of those devices. They still have BB10 in other devices and the development costs associated with that, it costs them nothing to put BB10 on a device. If they put Android on a device Microsoft could come after them for a royalties per device like they did with Samsung. I don't see the point in doing a device, nor do I see a point in switching all devices to Android. They either need to stay in the handset business with BB10, or get out and go pure SAAS.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 09:12 AM
    I think they should leave the Android stuff alone, work on what they have now and make it better. As a consumer i understand the want for a consumer based device but as the past has shown...the Z10 and Z30 sales almost made them shut down shop. Let them grow on their own and once its a refined system hopefully they will throw the consumers a bone.
    last_attempt likes this.
    03-07-15 09:32 AM
    I work in a cell phone provider in Quebec and when I speak the word BlackBerry, the average person spontaneously rejects it immediately.

The brand name is really damaged. I don't know if even a switch to android would be enough...

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 11:45 AM

Thoughts?

Why would a person who wants an Android phone go and pick up a Blackberry?

You can go and buy one from these manufacturers instead:

Samsung
    LG
    HTC
    Motorola
    Sony
    Huawei
    Lenovo
    Xiaomi
    ZTE

and many more. Good luck competing with these.
    03-07-15 11:53 AM
    How would producing an Android device cut down on costs? The Leap and Classic are very low end devices by today's standards and you can see the cost of those devices. They still have BB10 in other devices and the development costs associated with that, it costs them nothing to put BB10 on a device. If they put Android on a device Microsoft could come after them for a royalties per device like they did with Samsung. I don't see the point in doing a device, nor do I see a point in switching all devices to Android. They either need to stay in the handset business with BB10, or get out and go pure SAAS.

Posted via CB10
    Android is open source. A lot of code already available. BlackBerry has already made a lot of BlackBerry apps available for Android. There would be minimal coding that BlackBerry would have to do. BBM already works. They are bringing calendar, hub,etc. Why not just build a Android device and try to make some consumer money? Just don't call it a BlackBerry.

03-07-15 11:55 AM
    If you hold a Samsung S5 and a Classic or Passport, u will understand.

Posted via Classic
    try samsung galaxy s6 and s6 edge LOL
    03-07-15 11:59 AM
    I use a BlackBerry device because I like BlackBerry OS, if I would like Android I would use an android device. If BlackBerry would release an android device I wouldn't care about that device.

Posted via CB10
    ArcPlug likes this.
    03-07-15 12:03 PM

Thoughts?

Two thoughts.

One is that, BlackBerry is starting to show life and making smart moves in the enterprise market with offering it's software to other platforms, smart move. But I think Enterprise King, is still a long way from now.

Second, running BlackBerry devices with Android seems counter productive. If you are trying to promote just hardware, and dump the software market like Samsung and HTC then yes, I get what you are saying. But right now, BlackBerry seems to be trying to promote it's software business. It would seem hypocritical or at the minimum counter productive to offer BlackBerry devices with Android OS. A BlackBerry running Android is an Android, period. For that, just get out of the handset market and let consumers buy apple or Android products. Why have the overhead and expenses of supporting a hardware business just to load it with Android, if you are trying to promote your software?

I think Chen is doing the right thing making BlackBerry apps and software cross platform as un popular as that may be. I don't like the idea of other platforms using BlackBerry exclusive software like the Hub and our keyboard either but the reality is that it's the only way to go, to bring BlackBerry back. Sometimes you have to make smart be it unpopular moves to make things happen. Producing BlackBerry phones with Android OS for consumers is just not one of them (meaning one of those smart moves). That's just my humble opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-07-15 12:12 PM
39 12