Okay...I've read and read...here's what I'm facing:

Systems:
    - Bold running Rogers .162
    - HP Pavilion dv8120ca running XP Home SP3 with no built-in BT
    - Desktop Manager 4.7

1. I picked up a Belkin F8T016ft mini Bluetooth Adapter. Mistake (maybe) was that I just blindly put in the installation CD -- so WINCOMM gets put on my computer. I managed to connect to my Bold as a wireless modem. However, I was unable to access any of its files. DM greys out any BT options.

2. I then found out about what RIM had posted about using generic MS drivers. I follow the instructions to remove the WINCOMM software. Okay...did that. It's the first time I really noticed, but I don't have any BT icon in my Control Panels. I go through a few installs/uninstalls, and what RIM says the BT icon should be there...well, it isn't.

I guess I'm really confused now as to what I can and can't do. On the one hand, RIM make it sound like I can't connect at all unless I use the generic Windows drivers. But, with the installation CD from Belkin, I can now tether.

Also, if I use the generic drivers, I get an impression I will lose out on any of the EDR functionalities...so I can't use BT stereo headphones that I'm planning to get for my Bold and laptop.

I have yet to reinstall DM to see if that works, only because the version I had on another disk seems to be corrupt.

Any thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.
    12-14-08 09:43 AM
    Oook...so I beared down and did more research. I had to follow these instructions:

1. Using the Microsoft Bluetooth Stack (instead of WIDCOMM) on Windows XP w/ SP2
    How to set up Bluetooth connectivity with BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    3. http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...em-laptop.html

So far, DM works without having to reinstall. I guess the default is that one can't move mass files between the computer and BB. At least I have a wireless tether and won't need to drag the USB cord.

I guess I'm still wondering if I've compromised any of the EDR stuff...ah well.
    12-14-08 05:24 PM
    Oook...so I beared down and did more research. I had to follow these instructions:

1. Using the Microsoft Bluetooth Stack (instead of WIDCOMM) on Windows XP w/ SP2
    Dude, you rock! Step 1 totally worked with the generic driverless Chaiwanese BT dongle I bought off eBay. Seller included a link to useless Widcomm driver+stack. After I nagged them, they emailed me a link to crippled BlueSoleil driver+stack. Still didn't work with Desktop Manager. When I did the bth.inf mod mentioned in the link at #1, Windows picked up the dongle and DM recognized the BT. Booyah!
    12-26-08 07:34 PM
    I bought a motorola bluetooth dongle.

I have a hp laptop with vista, i installed the software included on the cd (wincomm) and it would just freeze the pc.

Anytime id connect the dongle it would freeze.

Uninstalled wincomm. Connected my dongle and let it install how it wanted.

Everything went fine. In device manager its listed under bluetooth devices.

Heres the catch....i have no bluetooth icon in my program manager.

Im using vista home premium.

Any ideas?
    12-27-08 01:52 AM
    I bought a motorola bluetooth dongle.

I have a hp laptop with vista, i installed the software included on the cd (wincomm) and it would just freeze the pc.

Anytime id connect the dongle it would freeze.

Uninstalled wincomm. Connected my dongle and let it install how it wanted.

Everything went fine. In device manager its listed under bluetooth devices.

Heres the catch....i have no bluetooth icon in my program manager.

Im using vista home premium.

Any ideas?
    You may have made the same mistake that I did. Everything out there suggests you aren't supposed to install the CD with the widcomm driver -- you're supposed to use the one built into XP and Vista.

From what I gather, Vista has its own issues -- more with privileges. As for Program Manager...I'm not familiar with Vista. Is that what used to be Control Panel?
    12-27-08 07:10 AM
    Yes thats what i mean. Control Panel
    12-27-08 01:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD