I really shouldn't be this confused considering I live in the land of RIM but I am.

I recently got a new job and I'd like to FINALLY get the Blackberry I have been dreaming of but didn't have a reason to get.

Now I need help.

What model should I get, I'm thinking of either the Curve 8330 or Bold 9000?

What plan/carrier should I go with, I'm in Canada, are there big differences? I don't like Bell's system fee of $7.70 seems crazy to me.

How much data would I need? I plan on using email a lot for my work attachments but little to no pictures (I'd turn them off), possible browsing for GPS and finding things. No a huge song download person and don't watch TV or videos online.

I'd like voice mail, caller ID, texting.

I want to get a decent plan for $60.00 or under that would mean I don't have to worry about going over on anything and I can feel like I'm using enough of the features of my Blackberry to justify having it. Do you think that's possible?

The carrier websites are confusing. Thanks for any help and advice.
    11-16-09 01:07 PM
    I'm not very familiar with Canada's carriers but, as far as the phone itself, check out the 9700.
    11-16-09 01:26 PM
    Your best options are the Storm2 9550, Bold2 9700, 8900, or the 85XX series. All of those have wifi which will help you limit data usage. Your best carrier choices are Rogers, Bell, or Telus, because Fido's BB selection is TOO limited. I'm a US person so my knowledge of Can carriers is more limited, BUT some of our other members will help you.
    11-16-09 01:38 PM
    Thanks for the advice so far.

So with regard to the models what's the big difference between the Bold 9700 and 9000 is there really that big of a difference to justify paying another $200.00 up front for the 9700??

I hadn't looked at the Curve 8900 for some reason but I like the options it has so I think I like that model over the 8330. Thanks for that suggestion.
    11-16-09 01:44 PM
    Congratulation on the job.

The national carrier are all moving away from CDMA, the future is in the new technology.

Both Rogers and Bell can offer you advanced service and the most current models on the market. They have both revamped their billing structure to get rid of the line item charges, but the base plan costs more.

First BlackBerry choice is Keyboard or Touch.

IMHO, the keyboard models are better suited to the working requirements.

Second BlackBerry choice, new technology or lower cost current technology?

IMHO, a trusted technology like Curve and Pearl will meet your communications needs at low cost. You will be far less likely to venture into bug filled new third party applications.

In search of some adventure, and have a high tolerance for frustration? The newest technology, preferably on day one of availability.
    11-16-09 02:04 PM
    the 9700 is the flagship, i would think that would be a good choice. More importanly in my opinion is the carrier and its coverage. If you dont have service then no matter how cool and good the phone is, it is just not useful.
    11-16-09 02:23 PM
    Thanks for the advice so far.

So with regard to the models what's the big difference between the Bold 9700 and 9000 is there really that big of a difference to justify paying another $200.00 up front for the 9700??

I hadn't looked at the Curve 8900 for some reason but I like the options it has so I think I like that model over the 8330. Thanks for that suggestion.
    The 9700 is the Bold2 - basically the 9000 but better. (more memory, etc)
    11-16-09 02:46 PM
    I expanded the title a bit to help attract more answers for you.
    11-16-09 02:47 PM
    Congratz on the job and welcome to the Blackberry comunity.

Once you decide which carrier you'll tag to, ask them about BIS, which will (as far as I know) give you unlimited browsing, Push Email up to 10 email accounts and access to instant message apps.

There may be some fair use limits but as far as I know, it's very unlikely to go over them in a month's use.

Bold 9000 vs Bold 9700? One is big, the other is not.
    11-16-09 02:57 PM
    So okay the plans s far as what they offer online Rogers seems a better option. I talked with a Bell CS rep to see if I could get any sort of bundle discount for adding the cell to the services we already have with them and they said no.

Now will the 500mb plan be enough for my needs do you think? Do I really need it or should I just do a voice plan with the unlimited email added on?

So with the BIS I can go on the web?

I've read all this talk about the retention line at Rogers maybe I'll give them a call and see what they will offer me, we already have a cell with Rogers so I think I should qualify for something maybe.

One more question with the WIFI if I browse using it, it's all over here and at home, will I need a Data plan and will it count toward my limit
    11-16-09 03:20 PM
    So okay the plans s far as what they offer online Rogers seems a better option. I talked with a Bell CS rep to see if I could get any sort of bundle discount for adding the cell to the services we already have with them and they said no.

Now will the 500mb plan be enough for my needs do you think? Do I really need it or should I just do a voice plan with the unlimited email added on?

I've read all this talk about the retention line at Rogers maybe I'll give them a call and see what they will offer me, we already have a cell with Rogers so I think I should qualify for something maybe.

One more question with the WIFI if I browse using it, it's all over here and at home, will I need a Data plan and will it count toward my limit
    500MBs could be enough with careful use and with using wifi whenever you can. Yes wifi will save you data traffic as it will not count toward your MB limit. If the plan is to avoid streaming stuff (EXCEPT when connected on wifi) you should be ok with 500MBs. That should be plenty for email, data texts (BBM, IM Clients) and some web browsing. It's the music and video streaming that eats up the MBs and you SHOULD be ok doing that anyway while connected via wifi.
    11-16-09 03:27 PM
    You aslo might think about going with Virgin Mobile. I have had my Curve for just over a year and had NO problems. Right now Virgin is offering all 3 of their BB's (Curve, Pearl & Pearl Flip) for $0.00 on a 3 year plan with no Activation fee. Virgin also allows you to build your own BlackBerry and Phone bundle with the features you want. Also no monthly system fees.

Here is the LINK to the BlackBerry page at Virgin
    11-16-09 03:41 PM

Wifi is a bonus, but it does not replace the BIS data plan. It does improve the quality of service, particularly in fringe signal areas. I also speeds up the data, by a lot.

I like the 500Mb Plan, that is adaqute for heavy normal use and gives you access to all third party applications that use BIS for data, nearly all of them. I have the similar plan with a higher data limit, I will never go over.
    11-16-09 04:15 PM
    Based upon the needs you stated and your dislike for Bell's $7.70 system access and 911 fees, go with Telus or Rogers.

After doing some research, I would recommend going with any of the following BlackBerry's:

From TELUS:
    $0 for the Curve 8330
    $99 for the Storm
    $149 for the Tour
    $249 for the Bold 9700
    All with 3 year voice + data plan

From Rogers:
    $49 for the Curve 8520
    $79 for the Curve 8900
    $99 for the Bold 9000
    $299 for the Bold 9700
    All with 3 year voice + data plan

If you plan on travelling outside of Canada & US don't go with the 8330 since it's only CDMA with Telus (ie. won't work in Europe)

As for your plan options, I'd recommend the following;

Telus:
    $50 Clear Choice plan for Smartphones
    250 Anytime Minutes (with double minutes option)
    Unlimited Evenings and Weekends after 9PM
    500MB Data usage (email, web browsing, etc..)
    Voicemail 3
    $15 Add On
    Call Display
    Unlimited Text Messages
    = $65 + tax (per month)

Rogers:
    $50 Voice and Data Plan
    200 Anytime Minutes
    Unlimited Evenings and Weekends after 9PM
    Unlimited Text Messages (option)
    500MB Data usage
    $12 Value Pack
    Call Display
    Enhanced Voicemail
    = $62 + $2.58 GRR Fee + tax (per month)

The Rogers one gives you unlimited text, where as the Telus plan gives you 50 more anytime minutes.

Also available for $7 with both carriers is early evening option starting at 6PM instead of 9PM.

I would recommend the Rogers Bold 9000 with the above plan. $100 for the phone and ~$65+tax a month. You can negotiate with customer relations (retentions) to see if they can do any better on a plan or phone discount for you.

Hope this is helpful Cheers
    Last edited by Newpunk; 11-16-09 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Added BB 8900
    11-16-09 05:49 PM
    I'm with Rogers & I have an 8900 which I love. I prefer it to the Bold 9000 due to the size. Even though it's not 3G I have always found it fast enough for my needs.

I have the 6GB data plan but I could easily do with 500MB. Most of the time when I'm home I use wifi which also speeds up my internet speeds.

Seeing that the 9000 is $99 & the 8900 is $79 with a 3 year contract, I don't think that I would spend an extra $200 on the 9700. But that's just my opinion. If I were you I would go into to a store & play around with each device to see which one I like the most.

Good luck with your BB purchase. You won't regret upgrading to it & you'll never go back to a 'Dumb' phone!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by melh72; 11-16-09 at 05:52 PM.
    11-16-09 05:49 PM
    I'm a month and a half away from getting my first BB (Telus wouldn't give me my upgrade any sooner grrr) and am now waffling over the Storm 2 vs Bold 2. It is a comfort to know that with the WiFi option on either model it won't eat up usage on my data plan.

My question is the HSPA network worth getting the Bold 2? I rather like the landscape typing option and I tried out the touchscreen keyboard on the original Storm and didn't find it half bad, but the Storm 2 is on their CDMA network.
    11-16-09 06:47 PM
    Thanks everyone so much for all the info and help. I've decided to either go with the Bold 9000 (can't justify the extra $200 for the 9700) or the Curve 8900.

Now with regard to carrier I called Bell and here's what they offered me what do you think?

300 + 50 anytime minutes
    Unlimited eve & weekend from 5pm
    1 GB Data
    Unlimited Text
    Voicemail
    Call display
    = 67.70 month

Basically the Smart combo 60 text and he threw in the Voicemail & Call display for free.

I'm going to call Rogers and see what they offer but what do you think of that plan & cost is it good or should I try for better?
    11-17-09 11:18 AM
    Thanks everyone so much for all the info and help. I've decided to either go with the Bold 9000 (can't justify the extra $200 for the 9700) or the Curve 8900.

Now with regard to carrier I called Bell and here's what they offered me what do you think?

300 + 50 anytime minutes
    Unlimited eve & weekend from 5pm
    1 GB Data
    Unlimited Text
    Voicemail
    Call display
    = 67.70 month

Basically the Smart combo 60 text and he threw in the Voicemail & Call display for free.

I'm going to call Rogers and see what they offer but what do you think of that plan & cost is it good or should I try for better?
    That's a nice plan, much better than what they're advertised plans are. See if Rogers can match it if you stick with them.

I would also see if Rogers is willing to negotiate a better price on the phone, sometimes they will offer you the phone, say the Bold @ $99 with 3 year renewal, then give you a $50 rebate. So you'd only get the phone for $49!
    11-17-09 11:56 AM
    Bell = best carrier
    Bell = best plans

Bell all the way. My opinion for what it's worth.
    11-17-09 12:35 PM
    Sounds like a GREAT plan. Generally the 9000 is the better BB, with a couple caveats. The 8900 is smaller (some prefer that as the 9000 is VERY big), the 8900 has a better camera 3.2 MP vs 2.0, and finally the 8900 has more process memory, which translates to being able to have more 3rd party apps. The 9000 has a better CPU (the brains, or main chip in the BB), and it has 3G which the 8900 does not. The 2.0 MP camera is good and you DO have enough process memory for a good amount of 3rd party apps. You can't go wrong with either BB. Maybe go to the store and play with both?
    11-17-09 02:52 PM
    I'm with Rogers & I have an 8900 which I love. I prefer it to the Bold 9000 due to the size. Even though it's not 3G I have always found it fast enough for my needs.
    I also picked the 8900 over the 9000. At the time, the 9000 was a lot more money. The 8900 has a better camera, higher screen resolution (though the 9000 has a bigger screen), and I like the shape feel of it better.

IF I were to be getting a phone now... I might pick the 9700 because it has everything I wanted from the 8900 + 3G. But is it worth all the extra money just for 3G? Probably not.

I too am with Rogers, I have 500MB of data. This is my highest month of data usage ever... I am at... a whopping 156MB! Seriously, I thought I would be going over every month... now I almost make it a game to see if I can even get close. I connect to wifi while at home, otherwise I use data everywhere.

As far as bell system access fee.... I would assume its gone now since Telus and Rogers both got rid of theirs. On Rogers at least it is a $2.something government fee now... but they raised the price of other stuff, so I still couldn't get my phones any cheaper by going to a new plan.

I was with Telus before Rogers... their reception might have been better but after the way I was treated by them I don't even care.

BTW - the bell plan sounds like a really good deal!
    Last edited by sotypical; 11-17-09 at 03:00 PM.
    11-17-09 02:57 PM
    Well as of right now I think I'm going to go with Bell, much to my surprise.

The guy from Rogers said the best he could offer me is

200 anytime minutes
    Unlimited eve & weekends from 9pm
    1Gb data
    Unlimited text messages
    Call Waiting

Then I could add Voice Mail, call display etc for $12.00 a month

He would give me 1 month free and wave the activation fee.

= $69.85month + taxes

It just doesn't seem as great. I like that he waived the activation fee though.

I asked but you can't add anymore minutes to it either the only thing you could do is for $15.00 a month add unlimited incoming calls.

He said something about their 3G network is better than Bells coverage wise and that Bells is not reliable. He admitted Bell has better rates but that their reliability sucks.
    11-17-09 04:49 PM
    Where do you work? You should check if your company has employee plans set up thru either carrier. I'm on a corporate plan (meaning that it's my personal BB but I get a discounted rate as one of my employer benefits) & I pay approx $60 +tax a month. I get 200 anytime minutes, free after 6pm & weekends, vm, call display etc. all the good stuff plus 6GB of data. It's definitely worth checking out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-09 07:07 PM
    So after thinking about it I think I'm going to also look into possibly just buying a phone outright and being able to go MTM then.

I'm just thinking if I'm going to pay 100.00+ for the phone with a 3 year contract then why not shell out the extra $$$ up front and not be locked in. Plus then when we travel to the US I can get a SIM card and use it there right.

Maybe it will give me some more leverage in getting a good plan too??

So looking on our local Kijiji I found someone with a Storm 2 for a good price, I think. But I'm realizing I don't know what to look for when buying an unlocked BB to make sure I can use it and not get taken on the sale.

Any advice? what do I need to make sure I get and the BB has to use it when buying unlocked from someone
    11-18-09 08:31 AM
    Well I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all your help, it has been really great to be able to come here and get so much info.

I have picked my BB and signed up.

So I got a Bold with Bell. The plan I ended up getting is

250 anytime minutes
    Unlimited incoming
    Unlimited eve & weekend from 6
    CDN long distance .08/min
    US long distance .15/min
    Call Display
    Call Waiting
    Enhanced Voicemail
    Unlimited Text
    Unlimited email
    Unlimited Internet
    no system access fee, no 911 fee, no activation fee
    = $52.00 +tax /Month

I'm very happy with my plan and I can't wait to get my BB in my hot little hands. I'm sure I'll be back with questions on setting it up etc.

Thanks for all the advice
    11-19-09 11:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD