I have to put a note in every email I send not to bother with the read receipts. This is the most aggravating thing to me. Hoping an OS update can change this.
    04-26-09 11:32 AM
    What if we don't want this confirmation email? I am receiving way too many of these so I would like to turn it off, if at all possible. Where is this setting?

Thank you in advance. Katherine
    messages>messages options>email settings>from there you can select confirm delivery/confirm read/ send read receipts
    04-26-09 12:43 PM
    messages>messages options>email settings>from there you can select confirm delivery/confirm read/ send read receipts
    Does anyone know if there is there a similiar fix for the Storm 9530?
    04-26-09 12:58 PM
    I have to put a note in every email I send not to bother with the read receipts. This is the most aggravating thing to me. Hoping an OS update can change this.
    �Read� receipts are not the same thing. I�ve been detailing the forced �delivery� receipt issue, which is just as intrusive.

The �delivery receipt� confirms to the sender that his email definitely landed on a Blackberry device at the email address to which he addressed a message. If your device is powered off when the email was sent, as soon as you turn on your device, your device will immediately impersonate you and send the receipt back, telling the message sender the exact moment your device was back on line.

When I reverse-engineered the delivery receipt mechanism built into the newer firmware, the �read receipt� was still configurable (enable or disable within the device). Open an inbox on your device and check the options there to turn them off, then send yourself a message from Outlook with read receipt request on and see if that fixes it for you.

Note that BES users have a completely different situation with the Exchange server controlling receipts. Most geeky Exchange admins turn all receipt functions on (in their servers), some slick Exchange admins turn all of them off so outside parties have a hard time telling whether or not they�ve reached an Exchange server and whether or not an email message landed in any particular user�s inbox.
    04-26-09 01:12 PM
    Does anyone know if there is there a similiar fix for the Storm 9530?
    Yes there is, now do I remember how to? NO. But I'll try to find out for you.
    04-26-09 01:30 PM
    Hi,
    I checked "No" in Confirm Delivery, Confirm Read and Send Read Receipts and it still send out read receipts without my consent. It happens with four different email accounts. Is there a way to stop Blackberry from running my life?
    03-12-10 03:07 AM
    Hi,
    I checked "No" in Confirm Delivery, Confirm Read and Send Read Receipts and it still send out read receipts without my consent. It happens with four different email accounts. Is there a way to stop Blackberry from running my life?
    No, actually (seriously), RIM added forced receipts into the firmware, and yes, it does violate most wireless provider�s privacy policies. It also prevents you from using email forwarding to get push email, since the latest firmware reveals the email forwarding targets without your permission.

But are you sure you mean �read� receipts? In my testing it was delivery receipts that were always forced, but read receipts were optional. Do the receipts say �read� or delivered?�

Note that, contrary to what the carriers are telling customers, the �Confirm Delivery� and �Confirm Read� options within Mail on your device are for your OUTbound email, not INbound. I have those turned on to request them from the recipient of my emails, but I have �Send Read Receipts� turned off (that�s the only option for incoming email). I request them, but I don�t honor them. I have the same options set on my Outlook and other email clients.

A friend who�s a journalist had included me in an email discussion recently. I sent a casual reply and was inundated with 20 or more Blackberry delivery receipts, and a few read receipts. All of them were also journalists, and all of them had BB�s on their email accounts. The RIM generated receipts told me which people had BB�s �hiding� behind their Yahoo, Hotmail, and other �conventional� email accounts.
    03-13-10 07:03 AM
    I have the same problem with thse delivery receipts. We have a unfified messaging server that sends my voicemail to my Excahnge in box. When the email then hits my Blackberry, the phone sends a delivery receipt back to my Exchange server which then sends it to my unified mail server. The mail server then sends this receipt to the original persons voicemail that left me the msg. It's VERY annoying to the original party. Working with Verizon and RIM, RIM finally acknowleged that this changed with a BIS upgrade. I told them that for along time before they actually confirmed it. I see that in the new BIS 3.0 that was rolled out, they have added the ability to turn these off finally! Thing is, It seems to STILL not work. I've a bit had it with Blackberry and think Android is in my future. Has onyone been able to get this feature working correctly since BIS 3.0? Thanks,
    John
    04-29-10 06:04 AM
    What happens if you go to message/ options and select Hide read filed messages and Hide sent messages to yes. Also have all my MMS settings unchecked for the confirmations. By the way I do not have this problem. 8330 Curve OS 5.0.0.438

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 09:15 AM
    I'll try that. just set it. but I don't see how hiding the messages "on the device" will stop it from sending a delivery confirmation. I know they broke it in BIS 2.3 I believe and now 3.0 change log says it has an option to turn off delivery confirmation. I see it on my hand held and have it turned off. I do not see this option when I logon to the Verizon BIS though.
    04-29-10 12:35 PM
    I don't believe it. They ignore me on the official forum now because I've complained so much.. I've had a BB Bold for a few days and every time I get one thing figured out something else comes up. Now people are asking why they're getting read mail receipts, and from what I've seen here I can't stop them. That's ridiculous. I don't even know where to go in my phone .. have settings/options/... but no email, have "manage email accounts" on the menu but no options there.. any help is appreciated. I want to turn all that stuff off, and I am hoping there's a way I can stop those receipts from going out.
    TIA
    05-13-10 07:02 PM
    I think part of the problem is posting on a subject header that is 3 years old. Second if you want an answer you need to let people know what your BB model is and the OS. I have a 8330 and from my main message folder I can hit Menu, go to options and select Email Settings from there you can select yes or no for all your receipts. Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-10 08:10 PM
    I posted a new thread also, got some help but it didn't solve the problem. I had already gone into the settings and unchecked send receipt, anyway my first reply here I thought I quoted someone who had a 9700 who was having problems. All of the BB's seem to have their idiosyncrasies. I can take some comfort in knowing I'm not the only one, after reading around the different forums. I think the new thread ("9700 won't stop sending read mail request receipts") didn't get any more responses because people glanced at it in the list and saw that it already had replies. 2 of them were mine, asking for more help.
    05-13-10 11:38 PM
    I saw somewhere that if you had an individual email that you wanted a delivery confirmation for you could type something in the address line like <confirm>. Does anyone know how that works?
    10-13-10 08:59 PM
    I saw somewhere that if you had an individual email that you wanted a delivery confirmation for you could type something in the address line like <confirm>. Does anyone know how that works?
    That�s correct. The phrase <confirm> needs to be the very first thing on the subject line. Your receipt (generated by the device itself) will contain your subject line read back to you.

Any Blackberry with current firmware that receives a message with this phrase on the subject line, will answer back and report it�s existence to you, as well as give you the exact date and time your message landed on the device itself. Unlike the delivery receipts that respond to Outlook formatted messages, the one you mentioned doesn�t need a special email program, plain text will get you a response. Note that the device owner has no control over it, it was written into the firmware by RIM.
    10-14-10 05:37 AM
    I am constantly getting "Delivery Confirmation" messages only in reply to gmail messages that are sending spam. It appears to be a "phishing" method to confirm the validity of e-mails. Even though I have the "delivery confirmation" set to "off", they are still being sent.

How do I get around this? I can't see elsewhere in this thread that this has been resolved.
    10-23-12 10:39 AM
    I am constantly getting "Delivery Confirmation" messages only in reply to gmail messages that are sending spam. It appears to be a "phishing" method to confirm the validity of e-mails. Even though I have the "delivery confirmation" set to "off", they are still being sent.

How do I get around this? I can't see elsewhere in this thread that this has been resolved.
    I have an update on this old issue (and now I just discovered what my old crackberry.com account user name was .

I was one of the first people to scream when RIM hard-coded �forced� delivery receipts into the Blackberry devices. There�s a lot of mis-information being distributed about this, mostly by the wireless carriers.

And I also noted that shortly after I complained about this device change, spammers were hitting my device private email address with delivery receipt requests for exactly that same reason.

As of today, there are only two solutions to this problem RIM created:

1. use the Blackberry Redirector (old workstation based application that requires running an active Outlook mail profile but does NOT require an Exchange server); or

2. upgrade your device to a 9000 series (Bold).

In my 9930 (and I believe on the 9000), within the messaging app, going to options-email preferences will show you a new �send delivery receipts� checkbox that you can UN-check. �Send read receipts� gives you three choices, �yes,� �no,� and �prompt� for users with different needs. Be certain to set your preferences for ALL of your email accounts, especially your private device email account.

If anyone can confirm that other device models running OS 7.1 have these options, please post here.

The options �Confirm Delivery� and �Confirm Read� are only for REQUESTING those receipts, NOT for sending them. I have had those options turned on since they appeared on my 8703e after an OS update, I just don�t honor requests from others (ornery as I am .

Also note that as �ornery� as I am, the Redirector is worse. It will not respond to any receipt requests other than the hard-coded <confirm> command, but also has no attachment service on the device to allow you to view attachments. It also has no HTML (fancy) text formatting, strictly plain text. And just like the BES, it is limited to a single email account. Advantages though include triple-DES encryption end-to-end from your workstation, and almost push email (as fast as your Outlook client can poll). Good luck.
    12-04-12 12:02 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD