Alot of users are having this problem with many different types of BBs. Anyone know of a way to turn this feature off from the BES? I know i can turn it off on exchange, but i would rather not do that yet.
    03-17-08 03:31 PM
    Rofl... I just realized I had to go to every account and change it. Thought it was just me!

I feel like a newbie again :-)
    04-11-08 01:56 PM
    If you want to STOP a read receipt from being sent from your BlackBerry, you can:

1. Open the email, and while in it, do ALT+U (mark as unread) - does not work on the latest OS for the Curve!
    2. Open the email, and while in it, Menu / Mark Unopened (for 8100, 8800 & possibly the Curve)...

Also, go to messages / menu options / email settings / messages services. From here you can choose the respective email account you want to edit the 'read receipt' settings for:

confirm delivery
    confirm read
    show read receipts
    christ. well, I think you need to drive over here and babysit my bb. you're in my area and I can't figure the ****ing thing out. hah! this was one of my main questions too! thanks
    04-14-08 05:17 AM
    Latest word from RIM tech support (as of 5 days ago) is that it is impossible to disable it, it might be addressed in the next release of the BIS software, and that RIM refuses to provide the previous version device software (which will fix the confirmation receipt situation but disable all the advanced features they added). RIM has no answer for when the next release of the BIS software will be made. I would suggest getting in RIM's face somehow, by email or phone, and make them aware there are more customers who won't tolerate this.
    Anyone know if this has been resolved? My BB is still automatically sending confirmation receipts to Exchange e-mail addesses when I receive their e-mails.

Thanks

John
    05-30-08 10:57 AM
    Anyone know if this has been resolved? My BB is still automatically sending confirmation receipts to Exchange e-mail addesses when I receive their e-mails.

Thanks

John
    John, funny you should write about this, since I was just about to post a follow-up on the subject. I complained to a Verizon tech support rep a few days ago that they never responded to my last RIM trouble ticket entered on this issue (VZW placed a phony note on my account about resolving it with me even though they never called back). I got the VZW rep to understand the issue perfectly, she promised to follow that up with RIM to get it moving again (along with the web browser issue), and our rational discussion about how unacceptable this is for some customers (like people in the investigations business in particular, she mentioned another customer had complained about it too), turned to the same nonsense I�ve been hearing from others at RIM and VZW.

The short answer is NO.

To recap for everyone, the (send) �delivery confirmation receipt� option within the 8703e has been hard-coded �on,� as of the 4.2 device firmware release, even though it makes the appearance of being able to be turned �off� (as shown in the instruction manual). That forces your Blackberry device to identify itself on demand (i.e. when Microsoft Outlook users have requested a delivery confirmation receipt from message recipients on their outbound messages (destined for a Blackberry). This �feature� has some very anti-social side-effects, like spammers getting your �real� name and your device�s private email address, as well as any other email addresses and full name for any email accounts that you may have forwarded to any email account that touches a Blackberry device.

If you read back to the beginning of this thread you can read about my discussions on this topic with RIM engineers, but at some point things suddenly got real strange when the RIM tech support people got very defensive and absolutely insisted that this was the way it�s supposed to work, that since �MY� ISP does it that way I have to live with it (they don�t, and I don�t), and the Verizon reps now react the same way.

The last VZW tech support rep understood the problem exactly, but then when she called back, I heard the same irrational line of bull almost verbatim. Obviously, someone at RIM put in place some serious propaganda, and removed a few RIM knowledge base articles that contradicted (like the instructions how to configure push email for a BIS user to work almost like a BES account). That�s a significant corporate response to such a relatively small operational issue.

What is interesting, though, is that while RIM is now forcing all Blackberry users to be involuntarily identified on demand via email (even by spammers), they have apparently locked down their corporate email servers to NOT respond to the same receipt requests, and have locked down most of their corporate Outlook clients to strip receipt requests from outbound corporate email (I tested it with a RIM engineer and examined and confirmed it with email coming to me from RIM�s corporate servers), just before they started the dis-information campaign on this issue. Try asking a RIM engineer why (when they insist that YOUR ISP or employer�s mail server produces them), and I guarantee you won�t get a response.
    05-30-08 02:19 PM
    traveler, I really appreciate the information. Seems like we are not getting a choice on this matter. Sucks as far as I'm concerned. I like my privacy as well.

Again, thanks for the info. Just wish there was more we could do but it seems like you have done it already!

John
    05-30-08 03:03 PM
    Great thanks for the info.
    06-03-08 05:37 AM
    Hello,

Very interesting post. I was crazy looking for information on this issue. This is the only forum I have found that have treated this as a special problem.

The same problem occurs with Vodafone in Spain.

Regards,
    06-30-08 11:19 AM
    traveler, this is very interesting. I have been looking hi and low for a way to disable the "forced" delivery receipt! Right now I have a curve 8330 with Telus Mobility (I had an 8310 with Rogers Wireless before); is there any way to downgrade or upgrade to a different software that will allow me to change the delivery receipt settings? I have heard rumblings about 4.5, do you know if that would do it?

Thanks
    Ken
    07-02-08 09:30 PM
    Is it just me, or do people have all the 'confirm' options set to NO, but still have 'delvier' emails being sent, from time to time?
    07-08-08 01:47 PM
    I have all my 'confirm' settings to NO, but I continue to get confirmation that my emails were sent. I would love to turn this off, but I am lost on this.
    07-09-08 02:14 PM
    I just spoke with T-Mobile about my Curve sending Delivery Confirmation receipts even through I turned that option off, and their suggestion was to reset the phone. I even spoke with a supervisor and they claimed that this was the only option to troubleshoot the problem.

So folks, the next time you have trouble with your computer's email - reformat the computer and reinstall the OS - that might fix it!

Their only other suggestion was to turn off the phone when I'm not using it. Now, I don't know about you, but I only turn off my BB when I'm in an airplane and it's either taking off or landing. I didn't buy a smartphone to be a fashion accessory, I bought it so I could use it ...

Actually, one of the things I noticed was this only seems to happen if the sender:
    1) Sends from an Outlook Exchange account, and
    2) Has a Blackberry

In my case, both senders have Blackberry Curves. One of them *may* have a BES server, I know for a fact that the other one doesn't (and I don't either - we both set up our BB to sync with Web Outlook).

I guess I'll just have to live with it for now, but I'll keep my eyes peeled in case someone comes up with a solution.
    07-10-08 11:28 AM
    is it possible to get read receipts when using Blackberry Enterprise Server
    07-10-08 04:18 PM
    Is it just me, or do people have all the 'confirm' options set to NO, but still have 'delvier' emails being sent, from time to time?
    No its not just you.... Today I got a "return receipt " each time I sent emails to a particular client....emails from my bb received by my client's pc....this is a first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-08 04:52 PM
    what about text messages? i correspond with clients via text more than email so it would be comforting to know that they got the text instead of wondering.

any suggestions?
    11-16-08 04:36 PM
    Anyone know if the problem of NOT being able to turn off delivery receipts has been resolved by RIM?

Here with an 8230 on Tmobile.
    I was on the phone today 2/8/2009 and they didn't have a clue.
    02-08-09 08:07 PM
    I'm having it, too, with a Bold on AT&T. I have all the delivery things set to "no" and I'm getting both delivery messages and return receipts from the recipients. Any way to solve this?
    02-09-09 10:03 PM
    thanks for this thread
    02-28-09 03:14 PM
    You know I have been running around the net (by the way Crackberry.com - Excellent SITE!! Well Done!!) having a blast finding all the neat things I and my fellow employees can do with the BB. I have been highly impressed with the device all by itself as well (even with No themes or additional apps). As a business user I also use the BB as a tool to make sure I have the latest communication between myself and other employees and we have been truly enjoying it...yada yada yada... but THIS is completely unacceptable!! I mean seriously?? You cannot stop read receipts??? How difficult can it be to allow your PAYING customers, that are most times requiring privacy in their communications, to disable read receipts!!??

I am responsible for a fairly large size mid-west business and we have begun the process and discussion on completely getting rid of our Blackberries now simply because of this issue.
    I know many of you are saying "if it is such a great tool then why do that?" Because privacy is EVERYTHING to us...as well as general public end users.
    Let me spell that for ya RIM... P-R-I-V-A-C-Y... When and where we read our emails is absolutely no ones business!
    If we want it to be then we will allow it...you WILL NOT dictate it to us.

So RIM, if you are reading this, your Verizon accounts and device revenues are about to drop SUBSTANTIALLY in a very short time. Call your larger mid-west customers and let them know this is getting fixed within the next month or we WILL drop our renewals/devices and go with another account and device that will respect its customers privacy...and there are many vendors/devices that will...May not be as "neat" as the Blackberry but they/it will fill our business needs and just as importantly respect our privacy!

Sincerely,

Cc

P.S.
    You are welcome to thumb your nose at this and say "consider the source" because I am choosing anonymity by name... but I REALLY wouldn't recommend it.
    03-17-09 10:13 AM
    I'm having the same problem! i've done this for all my accounts within my bb and online, and it's still happening.
    help!
    thanks

I have gone to messages / menu options / email settings / messages services - for all my accounts and edited each of:

confirm delivery
    confirm read
    show read receipts

Selected "no" for each and saved, but my device still sent a "delivered" message to a requesting sender. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
    03-17-09 10:14 PM
    That is correct. I am a new blackberry user and this has been bugging me since I got the phone. I turned all the settings to off, but alas, with each email I get a darn confirmation. I'm like, ok, I know i just sent that and I know what's in it, why do I need to read it again? It is VERY annoying. I hope they fix this soon!
    03-28-09 10:12 PM
    Yep, I still hate this feature. I've had to add a filter to Gmail to automatically delete this information...
    04-15-09 02:06 PM
    If you notice (for BIS users), there are options for confirm delivery (incoming), confirm read (incoming) and send read receipts (outgoing) but there is no option to send delivery receipts which is probably why you are still send those.

For BES users, this cannot be changed individually on each unit, but I think there is an option on the server itself to disable read receipts. So far I've seen a registry entry that could change that for all users.

Hope this helps...
    04-15-09 04:53 PM
    If you notice (for BIS users), there are options for confirm delivery (incoming), confirm read (incoming) and send read receipts (outgoing) but there is no option to send delivery receipts which is probably why you are still send those.

For BES users, this cannot be changed individually on each unit, but I think there is an option on the server itself to disable read receipts. So far I've seen a registry entry that could change that for all users.

Hope this helps...
    No, actually it doesn't. There's a whole platform of devices that have device options that appear to turn the delivery receipt function off, but DON'T because the firmware was hard-coded to work that way. You won't find that with a 15 second web search, and both RIM and the carriers are trying to convince customers to NOT complain about it, so they won't even discuss it with customers now. See the earlier messages in this thread for the details on how it works.

As of this moment, the only way to stop a Blackberry device from impersonating the owner and sending involuntary delivery receipts when requested, is to back-level it to a 4.1 version. If your device doesn't have a 4.1 version firmware (like the latest ones being advertised), you're out of luck.
    04-26-09 10:54 AM
    Yep, I still hate this feature. I've had to add a filter to Gmail to automatically delete this information...
    I recently responded to a message from a friend that included a bunch of journalists in the CC list (he�s a journalist, too). I made the mistake of replying �all� instead of just to him and I was pounded by delivery receipts from several dozen Blackberries. Was able to see what part of the country they were in, and which ones turned their devices off for the weekend. Pretty sad, if you figure that your service agreement with your ISP �guarantees� privacy of your account information. That is until someone sends you an email.
    04-26-09 11:01 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD