I am a very happy Curve owner; but when we were at our wireless provider's local office today, my 20-year-old daughter (who wants a new phone; her old phone has battery problems) was checking out the Pearl. I don't know the Pearl, but I do know the Curve (more or less), and I talked her out of the Pearl.

Why? The Pearl is a great Smartphone, but I know my daughter, and I don't think she really wants a Smartphone. She spends her time with her phone texting and making phone calls; and while having the Internet on her phone sounds intriguing, she can get that via a regular cool-looking flip phone (at a flat fee, like I have my Internet on my Curve.)

Maybe I was wrong; in any case, nothing is written in stone, because the phone she's interested in now (an Erickson) wasn't in stock yet. I just didn't want her to end up with more oomph than she really needs in her life right now.
    07-07-08 06:16 PM
    Ah, yes, but... Confuscious say: Better to have oomph and grow into it than to not have oomph at all.

Think of all the things you do with your Curve. Did you imagine all it was capable of doing when you got it? Do you not think your daughter would also like the same features? Does she mess with yours and "ooh" and "aaah"?

Bring her into the fold.... Go into the light, Carol Anne! All are welcome!
    07-07-08 06:21 PM
    Why? The Pearl is a great Smartphone, but I know my daughter, and I don't think she really wants a Smartphone.
    Ah yes, but maybe she doesn't *want* a smartphone becuase she doesn't *know* a smartphone! At 20 I would have LOVED something like this!! As sad as it is to hear that one of our own has talked someone OUT of a Blackberry, you know your daughter better than anyone and I assume have done what is in her best interest!

(And here I am debating whether or not to buy a Curve and give my Pearl to my 16 year old...)
    07-07-08 06:30 PM
    you must repent

buy it for her
    07-07-08 06:32 PM
    an ericsson is hardly any comparison to a blackberry.
    07-07-08 06:33 PM
    Get her the pearl!
    07-07-08 06:34 PM
    My boyfriend wants a curve like myself, my best friend and his boyfriend have. But I refuse to get it for him. Why? Because he doesn't know how to do anything on his samsung katalyst yet. Seriously he can't send picture messages.

I know the blackberry is cool and all but imho I think it should be for the corporate user. Or in the very least someone who uses it for work purposes. He (as well as my two friends who have curves) doesn't have a job that would require a blackberry.

So go right ahead and say no. I can't stand when I see kids texting on a bb behind the counter at mcdonalds.

My two cents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 06:39 PM
    Ok I'm 20 and I love my Berry. While I have to say it's not for everyone, varies from person to person. I love all the things I have access to, I didn't use half the functions till I came on here and now I worry about my memory because of my apps. she might not need one but don't think it's going to be too much for her just because she's 20. Lol she's your kid but she's grown up now, I know my mom still sees me as her baby but I can assure you I'm a big girl on my own and out in the world.
    07-07-08 06:48 PM
    I am a very happy Curve owner; but when we were at our wireless provider's local office today, my 20-year-old daughter (who wants a new phone; her old phone has battery problems) was checking out the Pearl. I don't know the Pearl, but I do know the Curve (more or less), and I talked her out of the Pearl.

Why? The Pearl is a great Smartphone, but I know my daughter, and I don't think she really wants a Smartphone. She spends her time with her phone texting and making phone calls; and while having the Internet on her phone sounds intriguing, she can get that via a regular cool-looking flip phone (at a flat fee, like I have my Internet on my Curve.)

Maybe I was wrong; in any case, nothing is written in stone, because the phone she's interested in now (an Erickson) wasn't in stock yet. I just didn't want her to end up with more oomph than she really needs in her life right now.
    Not trying to be a b!tch, but your daughter is 20 and at 20, she certainly is entitled to her own thoughts. With that in mind, did you even bother to ask her cause from your post, sounds like you assumed it.

Since you talked her out of it, at what point did she have the chance to decide for herself? I'm sorry, but what you did was on the order of subliminal thinking. Case in point- would she have been interested in the Ericsson had you not talked her out of the Pearl?

Parents.....
    07-07-08 07:01 PM
    Not trying to be a b!tch, but your daughter is 20 and at 20, she certainly is entitled to her own thoughts. With that in mind, did you even bother to ask her cause from your post, sounds like you assumed it.

Since you talked her out of it, at what point did she have the chance to decide for herself? I'm sorry, but what you did was on the order of subliminal thinking. Case in point- would she have been interested in the Ericsson had you not talked her out of the Pearl?

Parents.....
    Very nice. This sounds like my mom however I never let her talk me out of anything I wanted. I also earned everything I got. I've had a job since I was 12 so I wouldn't have to ask my parents to buy me anything.
    07-07-08 07:08 PM

Parents.....
    Ha, simmer down hot pants. not a big deal

Blackberry offense...it's...well...interesting
    07-07-08 07:08 PM
    Nice choice you made for your daughter, which decision will she be entrusted with?

07-07-08 07:12 PM

Agreed. It's interesting to say the least.
    07-07-08 07:12 PM
    Ha, simmer down hot pants. not a big deal

I'm very simmer; I also happen to be a parent who feels that once children reach a certain age, they are no longer children, but adults; adults who should be entrusted to form sensible decisions and parents need only jump in when needed.
    07-07-08 07:19 PM
    Well it's a good thing you have your kids and she has hers. Go become a parent counselor and wait for her to sign up on your appointment list.

I dont think the OP was posting for parenting advice. It seems she was simply curious on our input on whether she would take use or appriciate a Pearl and if an ericsson would be a better way to go for her.

Thanks for your input tho
    07-07-08 07:26 PM
    Ah yes, but maybe she doesn't *want* a smartphone becuase she doesn't *know* a smartphone! At 20 I would have LOVED something like this!! As sad as it is to hear that one of our own has talked someone OUT of a Blackberry, you know your daughter better than anyone and I assume have done what is in her best interest!

(And here I am debating whether or not to buy a Curve and give my Pearl to my 16 year old...)
    Gotta agree at 20 I would have loved it. My son at 15 loves his, I thought he would have treated it like everything else and abused it. Boy was I wrong he babies it, then again he bought it with his own money.
    07-07-08 07:27 PM
    Really, it seems like Ms. Kathryn taught her daughter well in regards to her listening to her mother and finding a different option...considering SHE IS THE ONE PAYING FOR IT!!!

If i was asking my mom for a new phone, she would jackslap me if she was buying me a gift and i blew a fit and demanded what i want and what i thought was best that she disagreed upon...

i know this much...i would be without a phone! lol
    07-07-08 07:31 PM
    I am appreciating all of the input; after a few days I plan to print out this thread & hand it to my daughter for her to make up her own mind.

07-07-08 07:34 PM
    Perhaps a jitterbug would be better for her ?
    07-07-08 07:37 PM
    Lol it's an interesting thread Kathryn. I'm 21 and NEED my curve. technology is one of my interested so i utilize my BB to it's fullest.

Either way, it's a great phone and constantly being upgraded fro consumer, not so commercial use. Now with video recording coming in OS 4.5, along with YouTube streaming Video and HTML email, it's very user friendly and easy to learn.

This is by far the best phone I have ever had for:
    1. keeping in contact with friends
    2. Quick searches on the web (i.e. Business Phone numbers, addresses, etc)
    3. GPS (not with Pearl tho )
    4. and staying connected with CB of course :P

I've had the ericsson slider W580i, even tho it was a good phone that i liked alot when i had it, i would'nt think about touching it again now i've had a curve in my hands.
    Last edited by iamjoel5; 07-07-08 at 07:42 PM.
    07-07-08 07:39 PM
    Well it's a good thing you have your kids and she has hers. Go become a parent counselor and wait for her to sign up on your appointment list.

I dont think the OP was posting for parenting advice. It seems she was simply curious on our input on whether she would take use or appriciate a Pearl and if an ericsson would be a better way to go for her.

Thanks for your input tho
    I started to let this one go, but then I thought, WTF... this is an OPEN forum and contrary to what you believe may or may not have been on Kathryn's mind, the fact remains that SHE put it out there and in doing so has opened HERSELF up to comments pro and con.

I'm sorry you little mind choose to take an attack path. You want to see it as parental advice, but considering you dont know me at all, I really could give a ***T what you think.

You seem to infer a lot based on words... here's one for you **POOF**
    07-07-08 07:40 PM
    Perhaps a jitterbug would be better for her ?
    She said her daughter is 20- not 80!
    07-07-08 07:41 PM
    My boyfriend wants a curve like myself, my best friend and his boyfriend have. But I refuse to get it for him. Why? Because he doesn't know how to do anything on his samsung katalyst yet. Seriously he can't send picture messages.

I know the blackberry is cool and all but imho I think it should be for the corporate user. Or in the very least someone who uses it for work purposes. He (as well as my two friends who have curves) doesn't have a job that would require a blackberry.

So go right ahead and say no. I can't stand when I see kids texting on a bb behind the counter at mcdonalds.

My two cents.

deloreancowboy does make a good point tho, I wouldn't buy my son (if i had one..) an Xbox if he barely knows how to play his Gameboy
    07-07-08 07:44 PM
    That whole 'hate seein kids at mcdonalds textin' is complete bullsh!t. I work at wendys and own a blackberry. Just cuz I'm not a business man yet doesn't mean I can't enjoy a nice device. Get the **** off your soap box

07-07-08 07:45 PM
    I started to let this one go, but then I thought, WTF... this is an OPEN forum and contrary to what you believe may or may not have been on Kathryn's mind, the fact remains that SHE put it out there and in doing so has opened HERSELF up to comments pro and con.

I'm sorry you little mind choose to take an attack path. You want to see it as parental advice, but considering you dont know me at all, I really could give a ***T what you think.

You seem to infer a lot based on words... here's one for you **POOF**
    Poof? did you mean ****?
    07-07-08 07:46 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD