One of the main reasons why I love my Blackberry Curve so much is that I'm not tempted to text on it while I'm driving. The size makes it impossible for me to text one-handed and therefore I don't even try it with this phone. Shameful as it sounds, this is the first phone I've ever owned that discouraged me from texting while on the road.

Anyone else?
    01-10-09 05:40 PM
    Me steering off the freeway prevents me from that. :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 05:49 PM
    Yeah I try to avoid texting while driving. Too much of a distraction while driving.

01-10-09 05:51 PM
    I'm the other way around. I try to avoid driving while texting :P

Incidentally, you can type with one hand using your thumb to press keys - try it
    01-10-09 05:55 PM
    Have trouble driving to begin with! No texting for me while driving!
    01-10-09 05:56 PM
    Have trouble driving to begin with! No texting for me while driving!
    Ha! I'm in the same boat. =p
    01-10-09 06:35 PM
    I'm the other way around. I try to avoid driving while texting :P

Incidentally, you can type with one hand using your thumb to press keys - try it

Nooooooooo! Don't encourage me!!
    01-10-09 06:35 PM
    Yeah, flop, keep the OP from driving while texting. This is always a bad idea. Here, a guy drove into a restaurant because he was texting instead of paying attention to the road. Bad times.
    01-10-09 06:38 PM
    Yes, and while he's texting and driving, give him a tequila IV. :P
    01-10-09 06:40 PM
    I don't recommend it either, could really ruin your day. Use hands-free device while driving.

01-10-09 07:24 PM
    I don't recommend it either, could really ruin your day. Use hands-free device while driving.

Since I mostly just text anyway, I usually put my phone on the backseat of my Jeep while I'm driving so I won't be tempted to check it. I've never used a handsfree device, but I just may look into it sometime soon.
    01-10-09 08:13 PM
    Unfortunately I text while I drive as well. Can't help it. But I'll learn one of these days I guess...
    01-10-09 08:15 PM
    Texting while driving is NOT a good idea. You could get into an accident and damage your BB or even worse break it...aaaahhhhhh...gives me the chills just thinking about it.
    01-10-09 08:40 PM
    Just check out the news lately. There are staggering numbers out there of text message abuse while operating. Just ask the mayor of Detroit and all these other jokers getting busted with text lore. Get off the crack, and don't be a fool.

I tend to run people off the road if they are NOT paying attention because they are using a damn phone.

The road isn't yours, so sit up straight and drive.
    01-10-09 08:52 PM
    I refuse to use hands free but I don't text while driving.
    01-10-09 09:04 PM
    I'm too busy watching out for other idiots on the road to text while driving
    01-10-09 09:18 PM
    I just picked up the Bold a week ago and no longer text while driving.. but that will change I'm sure once I'm used to it. I can physically do it one handed, just don't yet feel comfortable. With my Pearl, I did not even have to look down to type I was so used to that thing - so it was as big of a distraction as shifting is.
    01-11-09 01:47 AM
    I don�t know where texting and driving fall in the stupid scale but it�s got to be close to the top.
    01-11-09 08:40 AM
    I don�t know where texting and driving fall in the stupid scale but it�s got to be close to the top.
    Agreed 100%. This thread has me very concerned seeing the number of people that actually text while driving. California, at the beginning of the year, just enacted a law making it illegal to text while driving; when they did, I was thinking to myself, "are we so stupid that we need a law for this?" Shamefully, apparently we are.

I guess next we'll need a law making it illegal to drive with a paper bag over your head. Sad times, indeed.

01-11-09 10:22 AM
    I don't think the fact that people text while driving should be a real shocker to anyone. I also don't think there has been any given time in history where people have operated motor vehicles in the absence of distractions.

I personally do see it as being a serious hazard, but it's certainly not one that surprises me.
    01-11-09 11:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD