is it inconceivable to think that rim would create a device for a company such as a construction company. When i say this I mean a phone similar to the boulder for verizon.

Just imagine how sweet it would be for many employees in that industry.

Yes it would come at a hefty price but I assure you the laptops they go through also come at a really nice price haha
    05-13-09 02:35 AM
    That would be great! I hope the sprint curve is taking them that direction in the r/d of Blackberry!
    05-13-09 04:35 AM

The Boulder's main area of expertise is surviving the elements. It's mil spec rated against water resistance, tested through driving rain, dust, shock and even submersion for 30 minutes a meter deep. During that time underwater, you can even accept calls and take photos. ...
    Bring it on, a Mil Spec BlackBerry would be awesome.
    05-13-09 10:51 AM
    A MilSpec BB, albeit pricey, would be manna from Heaven for some BB users. I know a lot of rough-service types that would jump on it in a heartbeat.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 12:10 PM
    The G'zOne Type-S passed all of the following tests, performed in accordance with Military Standards 810F, with all ports (battery, headset and charging) on the phone closed:

* The Water Resistance test was performed in accordance with Method 506.4, Procedure I. The G'zOne Type-S was subjected to this test with the handset open and closed, but with ports closed for 30 minutes on the front of the unit and then 30 minutes on the back of the unit. The test was designed to simulate rainfall of 2 inches per hour with a 40 MPH wind.

Result: The G'zOne Type-S showed no visible evidence of damage or deterioration caused by testing.

* The Humidity test was performed in accordance with Method 507.4. The G'zOne Type-S tested for operation after the conclusion of the tenth cycle. Each cycle was 24 hours and the entire test was performed over ten days. The temperature was cycled between 86 and 140F with the relative humidity at 95 percent constant.

Result: The G'zOne Type-S showed no visible evidence of damage or deterioration caused by testing.

* The Drop test was performed in accordance with Method 516.5, Procedure IV. The G'zOne Type-S was sequentially dropped in non-operating mode, onto each face, edge and corner for a total of 26 drops from a height of 1.50 meters (4.9 feet). The drop surface was defined as two-inch-thick plywood over a steel plate over concrete.

Result: The G'zOne Type-S powered on.

* The Dust Resistance test was performed in accordance with Method 510.4, Procedure I. A temperature of 95F was used for this test. Silica flour as defined by the test standard was used. Devices are given a passing grade when moving parts are not bound or blocked and if the unit powers on.

Result: The G'zOne Type-S showed no visible evidence of damage or deterioration.

* The Immersion test was conducted in accordance with Method 512.4, Procedure 1, with the handset immersed in water for a period of 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter with ports closed.

Result: The G'zOne successfully powered on with no visible evidence of damage or deterioration.
    The horror....

Through a snow blower, that is pretty rugged. I have dropped mine on occasion, but that is nothing compared to the torture of Mil-Spec.

Nothing the engineers at Research in Motion couldn't do, with a machined Titanium frame and case.
    05-13-09 12:28 PM
    i figured that some people would probably love the idea.. I mean if you look across all boards there isn't a smart phone for a ROUGH situation. They have always been known as the "be careful device"

im just curious just how big the market would be for this as there isn't a single smartphone available with this ability
    05-13-09 06:25 PM
    I work in construction and I see blackberries all over the place.

I use the rubber skin which helps when you drop it but provides no protection against water. These things are already pretty tough. If they were water proof it would be game over.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 05:49 AM
    Otter Box provides pretty good protection. But agreed, a waterproof, rugged BB would sell. Surprised that Sprint/Nextel hasnt gotten something like this yet.

The old yellow and black Nextels were like mini school buses. Could run it over with a truck, pick it up and use it.
    05-14-09 10:21 AM
    theres been a few phones over the years that could really take a beating

I am just curious what the price of one would be
    05-14-09 07:25 PM
    theres been a few phones over the years that could really take a beating

I am just curious what the price of one would be
    Since we're on the subject, as a former user of Nextel for 2 1/2 years, those phones can take a Chris Brown on Rhianna any day of the week and still work to their fullest potential.
    05-14-09 07:36 PM
    I used to own a nextel i530 the old yella and black kind and let me tell you i was up on a 4 stories on a Verizon Cell Tower dropped it climbed down thinking i was going to get a new one and to my surprise it worked no problem for the next 1 1/2 years my first and last nextel i owned i owned it for about 4 years
    05-14-09 07:46 PM
    I used to own a nextel i530 the old yella and black kind and let me tell you i was up on a 4 stories on a Verizon Cell Tower dropped it climbed down thinking i was going to get a new one and to my surprise it worked no problem for the next 1 1/2 years my first and last nextel i owned i owned it for about 4 years
    The i530 was a beast! I owned the following:

-i90
    -i95
    -i730
    -i860
    -i870
    -i880

Those things took some vicous brutality and never once did it affect the performance of the phones. Made by Motorola
    05-14-09 07:51 PM
    I know but with the rating of the boulder im sure that phone withstands even more...

There was another one that sprint had I tried finding it the entire phone was almost completely rubber

cant remember the name of it (this was a while ago)
    05-14-09 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD