What is the deal with Blackberry? I haven't seen any big billboard signs showcasing any of the new phones. I also have not seen any aggressive TV commercials showing what the BB10 can do. It seems like they are not aggressive enough in pushing the product. Either that or I just drive in areas where there happens to be no advertisements and watch tv channels that Blackberry does not advertise on. The only TV advert I can even think of, was seeing Blackberry posted on the boards of a NHL hockey game.
    amjass12 likes this.
    03-22-14 06:08 AM
    Exactly! I see nothing as well. BlackBerry just isn't advertising like we would want them to!
    03-22-14 07:58 AM
    That takes money they do not have . They are in just survive mode right now

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    03-22-14 09:23 AM
    Maybe they need to change focus to getting the product in peoples faces. The lay in the grass and wait for better days isn't going to work.
    03-22-14 05:26 PM
    And they used to be so good at their advertising.... (sarcastic tone)

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    03-22-14 06:29 PM
    Never said that. But the fact of the matter is 99% people I talk to have never heard of the z30 or know anything about bb10. In the meantime android scoops up more marketshare. They are all over tv too.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 06:33 PM
    I'm hoping that they're just waiting for the next line of phones to start advertising again.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 06:47 PM
    I see advertising. Not much but it's out there. When I watch hockey I see 2 or 3 commercials, they have Z30 in hand and speak about productivity and battery life for the most part. One was with Darcy Tucker.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 06:52 PM
    It will be a cold day in heck before we see advertising in the States.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 06:56 PM
    Only advertising I can recall is when watching Leafs or Raptors game. You can it on the ice rink boards or courtside.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 07:43 PM
    Whatever they are doing isn't enough. In a world where most people do or are guided by what the tv tells them the sheeple need to be shown what these phones can do.

Years ago I remember seeing one of the early motorola razr flip phone commercials and was very impressed. It was a matrix like commercial which had a battle using the phone. Months later I was looking for a phone and remembered that commercial and got the razr flip phone, which was one of the most popular ever.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Peter Burns; 03-22-14 at 08:21 PM.
    03-22-14 08:04 PM
    Saw some bb10 advertisements in the airports last year when they were just coming out with it. Haven't seen any advertisements in the U.S. at all since then

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    03-22-14 08:25 PM
    Reckon JC just honoring those advertising contracts made by last regime. I am surprised that they are still in Formula one but guessed its the same thing. They are obviously short of cash after having blown through their reserves by their last management. Looking at BB having to palm off most of their real estate holding is your obvious clue. Hopefully serving enterprise customers does not require much advertisement
    03-22-14 08:41 PM
    They must have thought"oh blackberry is blackberry we're known all over the world, we don't need ads for that anymore" after awhile the world thinks they're dead. Rarely you'll find BlackBerry in shops where I'm from. They have those blackberry stand but they put another phone in it or just a picture of blackberry not even a demo. While Samsung and iphone you can play around in shops and test it.

via Q10
    03-22-14 08:49 PM
    It will be a cold day in heck before we see advertising in the States.

Posted via CB10
    You said it. I see nothing here in NY. When people see my Z10 they say they didn't know BlackBerry had a touchscreen phone. I got mine a year ago and I've kept an eye out all this time but I haven't seen another one yet.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 10:18 PM
    If BB had the money for the kind of advertising people here would like to see, they'd be doing it, but the fact is, they don't. They are still down-sizing (letting people go), and have recently sold off nearly all of their real estate. Why? Because they'd be completely broke if they didn't - they are spending more than they are bringing in, and that's not sustainable. They lost $1.2B in cash, and $4.4B in total value, in the last quarter alone! They also had to borrow money for the first time, and now have $1.25B of debt, which of course they also have to pay interest on.

In order for the company to survive AT ALL, they've had to slash costs and effectively withdraw from the mature-market consumer world, and are focusing virtually all of their attention, and what little remaining money they have, on the two niches they feel they are strongest in: Regulated Enterprises (governments and huge corporations that are heavily regulated) and Emerging-Market Consumers (i.e., Africa & South-East Asia).

BB is fully aware that mature-market consumers don't even know they're alive anymore, and that the carriers aren't doing much to support them, but they also understand that's because BB10 was a commercial flop, that they executed the launch poorly, and that carriers lost a lot of money due to all of the launch problems. And given that BB hasn't advertised in the US since July 2013, it's really BB who has abandoned the carriers, rather than the other way around. It's BB's job, not the carriers, to advertise BB's products.

BB is spending their mature-market money sending enterprise sales reps into big businesses and trying to sell them a complete solution with BES10 and BB10 phones. Those companies aren't much swayed by consumer advertising, so that wouldn't help enterprise sales too much.

The other money will be spent to market the Z3 "Jakarta" phone in key BB markets (Indonesia, Malaysia, South Africa, Nigeria) when it launches. The Z3 launch is probably make-or-break for the hardware business - it MUST go well, and the Z3 needs to sell many millions, or IMO it's very likely that the BB handset business will be shut down. Assuming it does go well, the Q20 will be next, and this phone will be aimed at converting all of the existing Enterprise customers who are still on legacy BBOS phones over to BB10 and BES10. I don't expect any significant consumer advertising for the Q20 either, because, again, that's not the target market.

If both of those phones sell well into their intended markets, THEN we are likely to see a new all-touch device in 2015 that has some consumer advertising behind it. Right now, that's a VERY big "if." Really, it's the Z3 that's the biggest key, because if it doesn't sell well, the Q20 may not even make it into production.
    JeepBB and ljfong like this.
    03-22-14 10:57 PM
    Advertising would just be throwing money away at this point. JC is focusing on enterprise customers right now and that honestly makes more sense to me.

For the cost of advertising they can convert tons of huge companies to BlackBerry again. Seeing rich executives with BlackBerry's are what made them huge in the first place. The best advertising is word of mouth, get them into the hands of the people and it will catch on because it is a better product.

That said they should give Justin bieber and drake etc free phones celebrity endorsements never hurt.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 12:16 PM
    Spend money to advertise what exactly? A phone that is now dated? All advertising dollars should be kept for the next north American launch.. where they can actually advertise something new. Not advertise a product that the media already bashed and destroy to the point where no one wants it.. with a new product with new features u get a fresh start. That's like Sony advertising ps3 knowing that ps4 would be out in a week..

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-23-14 06:38 PM
    Complete lack of advertising?-come-sit-down.jpg
    Complete lack of advertising?-disappointed.jpg
    Complete lack of advertising?-balls.jpg
    Complete lack of advertising?-mockit_23032014105405.jpg
    Complete lack of advertising?-chow-bb.jpg
    Complete lack of advertising?-chen-point.jpg
    Complete lack of advertising?-chow-tiger-costume.jpg
    Complete lack of advertising?-leslie-talent.jpg
    Complete lack of advertising?-chen-work.jpg

So worth posting these again lol!

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141 O2 UK
    Toodeurep likes this.
    03-24-14 09:40 AM
    even tho there is lack of advertisement its not entirely true about there not being any advertisements. There are many TV shoes that have changed from their androids to #BB10 and me for one is a start to give the product notice.

sent from a die hard blackberry fans phone
    03-24-14 09:47 AM
    What is the deal with Blackberry? I haven't seen any big billboard signs showcasing any of the new phones.
    What new phones?

As TroyT says in his usual eloquent way, the Q20 doesn't yet exist (and IMO represents BB's final throw at appealing to the Legacy hold-outs). The Z3 "Jakarta" isn't available to buy anywhere yet either, and the US isn't the Z3's intended market in any event.

As for the Z30, it's far from new, and wasn't a success when it was. All the other current BB's are older than that, so it would be wasted money to advertise any of them now .

Or are you suggesting another SuperBowl-style advert, for say the Q20, followed by months of product unavailability in the US market. Many folks here seem to believe the SuperBowl wasn't BB's smartest marketing campaign.
    03-24-14 10:05 AM
    even tho there is lack of advertisement its not entirely true about there not being any advertisements. There are many TV shoes that have changed from their androids to #BB10 and me for one is a start to give the product notice.
    I'm not aware of any TV shows that have "changed" anything. Several TV shows are set in environments (government, corporate) where the characters would likely be using a BB in real life, and so they are on the TV show. This isn't advertising, or even product placement, on BB's behalf, but simply the shows' producers assuring the prop department is doing their job correctly. It's no different than, say, an FBI character carrying a gun that's actually issued by the FBI, vs. something that isn't.

Obviously this is nice for BB to be seen on screen, but I don't believe BB is paying any of these shows to use their products. They *might* be giving the production some phones (this is VERY common in Hollywood for almost anything - clothes, cars, computers, etc.), but I doubt it goes beyond that in this case.

Compare to Hawaii 5-0, which Microsoft sponsors, and you can see the much more heavy-handed Microsoft influence. IMO, I'd much rather see BBs used as they are (where they likely would be naturally) rather than as a sponsored advertisement anyway. Who wants to "Bing that!" or "upload to the SkyDrive!"? Blech.
    03-24-14 12:26 PM