If I downloaded other apps and used them instead of the standard blackberry browser and text messaging/blackberry messenger, will i avoid them snooping?

and is there a way to check if the blackberry is on BES or BIS? i remember reading there is a difference
    Last edited by seduflow; 12-27-10 at 04:05 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
    12-27-10 04:03 PM
    Go check "Service Status"
    That will tell you if it is BIS or BES

As for what they can snoop, it depends completely on the IT department

They theoretically can see EVERY thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 04:11 PM
    If I downloaded other apps and used them instead of the standard blackberry browser and text messaging/blackberry messenger, will i avoid them snooping?

and is there a way to check if the blackberry is on BES or BIS? i remember reading there is a difference
    Its safest to assume they could be monitoring virtually anything. They can prevent you from installing apps too if they so desire. I don't think the individual user has a way of knowing just what they are monitoring.

There's a list of specifically what they can monitor floating around I'm sure someone will post a link to but basically, a safe assumption is on BES they can do whatever they want.

Go to your mobile connections screen, pick services status and see whether it is connected to BIS or BES.
    12-27-10 04:15 PM
    it says it's only connected to BIS. So what does that mean exactly for me? Am i safe now from them reading my text messages or viewing my browsing habits?

Also if I were to use for example, opera min as my browser and pingchat as my messaging app, would that avoid them from even getting the contents of the stuff being sent and viewed? would that make a difference if it was BIS or BES?
    12-27-10 06:55 PM
    everythingberry.com/forum/general-discussion/what-can-a-bes-administrator-see-on-my-bb-2620.html

i found this

is it correct?
    12-27-10 07:10 PM
    Yes for the most part that thread is correct

BUT if you ONLY are on BIS then you don't have an administrator snooping at all and you're in the clear with all data.
    12-27-10 07:39 PM
    If it is a work phone, and is paid for by your employer, I would handle the situation as if they can see everything that you do. When the device is yours, do what you will. If you use the device in a way that is deemed inappropriate by your employer, is potentially losing your job really worth it?
    12-27-10 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD