This post is not intended to offend people or start a debate. It is intended to correct some of the misguided comments and may help people get the proper information about BB10. Feel free to add comments that will help people become more informed.

1. BB10 is not a phone but an operating system. There was a comment on Yahoo that there will be 10 OS's our before BB10. There won't be, but maybe 10 phones.
    2. From what we have heard BB10 will be able to run Android and IOS apps. Therefore the ecosystem may not be the hurdle that people think it might be.
    3. Saying that people will jump ship because BB10 won't be out till next year if ever. It will come in the new year. Many people are waiting for their upgrade for it. I currently have no phone at all and I am waiting for it to come out to try it and hopefully buy it.
    4. Most of the fortune 500 companies have not switched to a different phone. Some have but it is by far the phone of choice.
    Last edited by xtech22; 09-09-12 at 11:49 AM.
    09-09-12 11:34 AM
    I think you accidentally a word...

ETA: OP fixed it .
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 09-09-12 at 12:30 PM.
    09-09-12 11:41 AM
    BlackBerry 10 has an Android "player" so to speak, but where'd you read it's supporting iOS apps? Not happening.

Written from BitPusher's BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    09-09-12 12:09 PM
    BlackBerry 10 has an Android "player" so to speak, but where'd you read it's supporting iOS apps? Not happening.

Please don't bug the OP. At least you didn't call him on the fact that many people (including some developers) have already "jumped ship" because RIM is taking too long to bring BB10 phones (sorry OP, I mean phones that run the BB10 operating system) to market.
    09-09-12 12:22 PM

Sorry for the use of the word "support". It should have read "able to port". There are already games from Android and IOS on the Playbook. It is hard to imagine they won't be there for BB10.
    09-09-12 12:33 PM
    Please don't bug the OP. At least you didn't call him on the fact that many people (including some developers) have already "jumped ship" because RIM is taking too long to bring BB10 phones (sorry OP, I mean phones that run the BB10 operating system) to market.
    It didn't say that they weren't jumping ship. The main point of the comment was the "if ever" part if it. That is why I put in the statement that it will come out next year.
    09-09-12 12:38 PM
    1. BB10 is not a phone but an operating system. There was a comment on Yahoo that there will be 10 OS's our before BB10. There won't be, but maybe 10 phones.
    If Research In Motion releases 10 versions of smartphone running BlackBerry OS 10, they will not have learned from past mistakes concerning too many target platforms for developers and increased confusion for users or potential users.

2. From what we have heard BB10 will be able to run Android and IOS apps. Therefore the ecosystem may not be the hurdle that people think it might be.
    This has no basis in fact. BlackBerry OS 10 will not support Apple iOS applications for a variety of reasons not the least of which is Apple Corporation will not permit anyone to implement an Apple iOS emulator.

3. Saying that people will jump ship because BB10 won't be out till next year if ever. It will come in the new year. Many people are waiting for their upgrade for it. I currently have no phone at all and I am waiting for it to come out to try it and hopefully buy it.
    Many people and organizations have already moved to other smartphone and tablet platforms either wholesale or by way of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policies. Developers are increasingly tired of the ever moving target and repeated product launch delays. There are a few essential third-party applications I have become dependent upon due to their quality and features. I wish Research In Motion would reach out to these developers and provide incentives - I am not referring to the CAD/USD10K guaranteed income for applications grossing CAD/USD1K in sales.

4. Most of the fortune 500 companies have not switched to a different phone. Some have but it is by far the phone of choice.
    Past actions do to guarantee future behaviour either my people or organization which are managed by people. There are no absolutes in life, including death and taxes.
    mud314 likes this.
    09-09-12 12:52 PM
    That is why I put in the statement that it will come out next year.
    Are you absolutely certain BlackBerry 10 smartphones and operating system will be released in 2013? Care to stake your retirement account, including all potential future gains and losses, on your claim?
    09-09-12 12:56 PM
    Well this post has gone to crap. But thanks to everyone that went the opposite of what I was trying to do. This wasn't a debate thread it was to make people aware to the truths, half truths and misunderstandings.
    If you feel it is better to have people spread misinformation so be it, just don't complain.
    09-09-12 02:07 PM
    Are you absolutely certain BlackBerry 10 smartphones and operating system will be released in 2013? Care to stake your retirement account, including all potential future gains and losses, on your claim?
    They have given the phone to carriers for testing and some gave even committed to selling it. Do you think they would have if it was a year away. I will make your bet if you do the same if it does come out.
    hpjrt, Toodeurep, Hgouck and 4 others like this.
    09-09-12 02:10 PM
    If Research In Motion releases 10 versions of smartphone running BlackBerry OS 10, they will not have learned from past mistakes concerning too many target platforms for developers and increased confusion for users or potential users.
    Nowhere does it say that Rim will release 10 phones. They will release 2 to start.

This has no basis in fact. BlackBerry OS 10 will not support Apple iOS applications for a variety of reasons not the least of which is Apple Corporation will not permit anyone to implement an Apple iOS emulator.
    This does have basis in fact. There are already Android and IOS apps ported to the PlayBook.

Past actions do to guarantee future behaviour either my people or organization which are managed by people. There are no absolutes in life, including death and taxes.
    This just doesn't make sense. The point was that people keep saying that most of the fortune 500 companies have left RIM already, which is just not true.
    Last edited by xtech22; 09-09-12 at 02:22 PM.
    09-09-12 02:19 PM
    I hope i am not wrong here, but isnt it true an app developer can submit compatable versions of their own work to any OS they want?
    09-09-12 02:40 PM
    The point was that people keep saying that most of the fortune 500 companies have left RIM already, which is just not true.
    Do you have a source for this? Most companies I deal with are allowing other devices, which leads to fewer BlackBerrys.
    09-09-12 02:54 PM
    Do you have a source for this? Most companies I deal with are allowing other devices, which leads to fewer BlackBerrys.
    Here is one from an iPhone site.

BlackBerry 10 – RIM’s latest attempt to compete with iOS: Is it tempting? [Teaser Video] - TodaysiPhone.com
    09-09-12 03:20 PM
    I do believe the Apple TOS for developers says you're not allowed to write an app using their software for another OS (and the software is a requirement to get through approval for it to be on app store)

The iOS ports which are on app world are more than likely ports from android rather than directly from iOS. This isn't to say you can't write an app outside of those tools then convert it for each platform, but there's no easy option that says "Export for: iOS, Android, BB". Apple are also very unlikely to give RIM an "iOS player". The only reason we got one for Android is because it's open source and RIM could write one themselves, it makes next to no business sense for Apple to do it (why cure the opposition's main issue for them?)

While I can see what your post was intended to do, in reality it'll slip down the list in a few days and nobody will see it. Would also help matters if you were putting people right with actual information that can be proven rather than your own speculation.

1. Yes it's an os, no they wont release 10, it's 2 initially with the intention of 6 overall.
    2. See above, Android yes, iOS no.
    3 & 4. In the words of wikipedia, citation needed, show us some numbers that back up your claims, and by that I mean actual numbers, not what <insert tech blogger of choice> has been paid to think.

Worth a go but I can't see it having the desired effect
    Last edited by Donnee; 09-09-12 at 03:48 PM.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    09-09-12 03:40 PM
    Need another valid source. I am sure there have been and will be more defections. Many companies are no longer EXCLUSIVELY beholden to the BES.
    09-09-12 03:53 PM
    OP I understand that these things can you off but please look at the whole situation.
    Most people do not know how a cell phone works.
    Most people believe everything they are told.
    Most people are scared to say something offensive
    Most people like me are not technology smart and try to blame others for my own problems
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-09-12 04:14 PM
    OP I understand that these things can you off but please look at the whole situation.
    Most people do not know how a cell phone works.
    Most people believe everything they are told.
    Most people are scared to say something offensive
    Most people like me are not technology smart and try to blame others for my own problems
    This was my initial intention for this thread. To help people like you and to dispel the myths behind some of the comments and thoughts.
    madman0141 likes this.
    09-09-12 04:28 PM
    Myths? Where are the facts? A lot of ifs and maybes. But short of facts which can dispel myths.

Once the phone is in the hands of consumers, in Q1, 2013, then facts will be known.
    09-09-12 04:37 PM
    This post is not intended to offend people or start a debate. It is intended to correct some of the misguided comments and may help people get the proper information about BB10. Feel free to add comments that will help people become more informed.

From the comments so far I am assuming that you are coming to the realization that what you see as truths are not necessarily viewed as such by some of the folks here. And that alternative view is not from ignorance.

For instance, the new operating system will require new hardware, so simply as a matter of convenience, many people have been referring to BB10s as the total package, hardware and software. This is not out of ignorance, it is just so that it is easy to refer to the new devices. If we are talking about the confirmed number of devices, that would be 6, not 10. If you want to speculate though, I grant you it could be any number, like 10 or 8 or 12, who knows.

Running IOS and Android apps - technically possible, sort of. Commercially viable? Not so much, for the reasons already outlined in previous posts.

Saying some people will jump ship. Yes, some will. Others will not. So what is the truth in this one?

What is the truth about what Fortune 500 companies are doing? Thorsten's statement originally never said exclusively, and that is correct. Most 500 companies still have BBs. But most are also looking at alternatives, as made possible through BYOD. What is the truth? Most use some combination of both.

So don't be offended if others just have different information about those aspects of the mobile marketplace that you outlined. Discussion usually helps to clarify.
    09-09-12 05:17 PM
    This was my initial intention for this thread. To help people like you and to dispel the myths behind some of the comments and thoughts.
    Your dispelling myths with more myths and baseless claims?
    Facts are what dispel myths, not some random person's opinion on a forum.
    09-09-12 05:28 PM

This is just to clarify this post. These are facts and not speculation. Then please close this thread.
    1. BB10 is an OS. The comment said that there would be 10 OS's before BB10. There won't be 10, maybe 10 phones but not OS's. I never said RIM was going to release 10 phones.
    2. Both Android and IOS will be able to port to BB10.
    3. I admit that this was confusing. The emphasis was on the if "ever" part of the statement. I never said that people weren't jumping ship. I just meant that it was going to be released next year.
    4. Obviously there are no public numbers to show who uses BB phones in the FORTUNE 500 COMPANIES. It has been stated in many sources that these companies still use RIM. If you want proof Google it. As for smaller companies, they probably are changing but I never questioned that.
    All of these are facts.
    Last edited by xtech22; 09-09-12 at 06:11 PM.
    09-09-12 06:07 PM
    So they are facts except for 3 and 4, which you are backtracking on. And you know that 2 is a fact. IOS will be able to port to BB 10 which is not a phone but an OS. Or is it an ecosystem?

They are opinions. Which can all be disputed. But that's why forums like this are for. To discuss.
    09-09-12 06:15 PM
    So they are facts except for 3 and 4, which you are backtracking on. And you know that 2 is a fact. IOS will be able to port to BB 10 which is not a phone but an OS. Or is it an ecosystem?

They are opinions. Which can all be disputed. But that's why forums like this are for. To discuss.
    But OP said no discussion!! SHHH!
    09-09-12 06:18 PM
    My bad. Sorry.
    If they WERE facts, there would be no debate.
    Oops.
    09-09-12 06:32 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD