So at the moment the Smartphone market is dominated by Android and iOS - I don't know the exact figures, but I think iOS has about 30% market share and Android 60% (if someone does know the figures please corect). The other 10% or so is split between Windows and Blackberry.

But it looks like a whole load of other Operating Systems are going to appear in the mobile market - many designed for lower end systems and competing with Android there, and then of course there is the Big Boy - Samsung. There is speculation that they will try and break away from Android towards Tizen.

Samsung Readies Tizen, a New Mobile Competitor to Google Android and Apple iOS

Firefox OS, Ubuntu, Tizen getting ready to take on Android, iOS

Where do you guys think this will go? If Samsung does entirely break away from Android that will have a pretty devestating effect on Android - though of course it means that Samsung will have to deal with the 'new OS' syndrome that Windows and Blackberry are dealing with. Perhaps they have the muscle to force developers to produce Apps, but I dunno...look at Windows OS with Microsoft's backing at the problems it has.

Either way its a potential for Blackberry 10 to solidify its prescence.
    Last edited by mediadavid; 03-25-13 at 12:54 PM.
    03-25-13 08:37 AM
    Personally I believe Android and IOS are on their way out.. And I think this is the case because they are too big to fail... For the past 2 or 3 years, people went android or ios because they had to, not because they wanted to.. I had many friends who left blackberry and dumb phones behind for apple because there were no alternatives... I think blackberry chose the right time to release its new platform because people are looking for something different. Samsung should break away from android because the OS isnt built for samsung's specs.. it is limited, just like ios isnt built for the specs of today's iphone 5... I think the more players that come to the table, the more apple and android begin to lose their share, and that is a great thing for competition.
    03-25-13 09:38 AM
    HTML5 is the future. A year from now this industry will be a complete mess. Developers are going to be dizzy trying to decide what platforms to support. I think eventually the ones utilizing HTML5 will win out, but that's years down the road.
    03-25-13 09:52 AM
    samsung isnt going anywhere. The newer OSs are probably going to take a little bite out of the lower end android numbers but not that much IMO. I suspect android still remains above 50% for a while. There will not be a huge shift for anyone in the near future but maybe after a year or 1.5 years the landscape will change more significantly
    03-25-13 10:04 AM
    I'm skeptical of Samsung's ability to program the Tizen OS and make it competitive with Android. However, Samsung knows it doesn't want to create a $20 billion a year business and have it be reliant on Google letting them use the next generation of Android OS.
    In the coming OS war, I think BBRY has a very nice position with a nice OS. My understanding is that BB10 can be made to run very nicely on low-end machines and still deliver a nice experience. I bet iOS can as well. Android has little to no chance of that because of the OS. Also Google has little interest in serving the low end market since Google makes its money selling ads directed at relatively affluent consumers. Thus I suspect that Key Lime will require a quad-core CPU to even be functional, while Samsung wants to deliver smartphone services in devices it can sell for $100.
    03-25-13 10:18 AM
    I'm skeptical of Samsung's ability to program the Tizen OS and make it competitive with Android. However, Samsung knows it doesn't want to create a $20 billion a year business and have it be reliant on Google letting them use the next generation of Android OS.
    In the coming OS war, I think BBRY has a very nice position with a nice OS. My understanding is that BB10 can be made to run very nicely on low-end machines and still deliver a nice experience. I bet iOS can as well. Android has little to no chance of that because of the OS. Also Google has little interest in serving the low end market since Google makes its money selling ads directed at relatively affluent consumers. Thus I suspect that Key Lime will require a quad-core CPU to even be functional, while Samsung wants to deliver smartphone services in devices it can sell for $100.
    they sells tons of low end devices. Many running 2.3 but even still 4.0 runs well on the low end also. The low end is why they have 60+ percent of the market worldwide
    03-25-13 10:41 AM