Wait a minute, you run Linux, and you don't like Android? It just doesn't add up. What distro do you run?
    08-14-11 04:04 PM
    i run multiple distros. Mandriva and Vector mainly. Mandriva on my new laptop and Vector on my PIII Desktop

Just because i am a Linux lover does not mean all distros are good. Android (at least ver. 2.1 which runs on my tablet) is totally unstable, slow, (even facebook lags) and is very VERY picky. i had to root the darn thing to make the Android Market work (came without it, only had Appslib) and the only advantage it does have is a real MP3 downloader and Angry Birds. but using it it's like running Windows 98 on a 486! and the on-screen keyboard has caused it to freeze solid if i type a lot. also the lock screen has a freeze glitch. Android may be using a Linux kernel but i don't know if it's a true linux.

Android 2.1 is slow on 800MHz CPU, but Vector runs like a champ on my PIII-600MHz, even when running Gnome

Android's big issue is crappy/picky wifi reception. my tablet only works on wifi and without it it's nothing but a paperweight with a few MP3s stored on it
    lssanjose likes this.
    08-14-11 04:46 PM
    Thanks for clarifying, what other distros have you used? And to answer your question about true linux, it's not because the commands aren't the same, but they're similar. I can't use dir in adb, but ls, I sure can. It's little stuff like that.
    08-14-11 05:16 PM
    there is a terminal app for Droid if you have it rooted, and a few other extras (overclocking, etc) but as for other distros, i have had some tooling in Linux back when one had to install X Windows manually, i recalled making a pathetic victory dance when i managed to get it running (but without a WM). i did not start using it to replace Windows until last year.

I have used many, both free and store-bought, Mandrake (Mandriva's older cousin), Red Hat 7.1, BasicLinux, various distros of Slackware and Debian, tried Ubuntu (but it's locked down) and Puppy Linux (great for those used to Windows) and last Vector and Mandriva. they seem to work well for what i do anymore, i hardly use a computer now that my BlackBerry does all of the browsing, and my network Blu-Ray and Roku take care of the internet video now.

but my Vector computer and laptop have a really cool Star Trek LCARS theme, it simulates the panels in the series. i use them as a window manager and have the one Gnome panel up top for most of my apps.

I had no problem jailbreaking iPhones (one step and DFU mode and you're good to go) but Droids take a bit of work. one must use an SD card and follow VERY SPECIFIC steps to root a Droid without bricking one. i was lucky i did not brick my Coby Kyros MID7015. i once thought Android was just bad on the cheap Kyros but testing 'phone bars' in stores the Android running ones could not go far from the hotspot (even HoneyComb is a bit laggy and unstable on wifi) and the widgets (i do like its weather widget) seem to make matters worse, even if you like them, since they admittedly make RIM's OS look like my old Nokia Communicator in comparison, although one feature i love of BlackBerry is that they have used a similar dated looking OS (reminds me of older cells) and have improved on a design that seems to be working and still giving access to key smartphone features and enabling faster response from apps, it's the first smartphone that seems to play games like Angry Farm and still play MP3s in the background without cutting out
    Last edited by nickdalzell1; 08-14-11 at 05:27 PM.
    lssanjose likes this.
    08-14-11 05:23 PM
    I've been through a lot of smartphones. First started when I got the Motorola Q in December of 2007. I then moved on to a Curve 8330, loved it but it had a lot of bugs and I was too ignorant to fix them. I then used an upgrade on my plan to get an HTC XV6900, cool phone but it was just too small for my fingers so I bought a Samsung phone off eBay (similar to the HTC Touch Pro but not as fast). Got bored with that and went to a Palm Pre Plus with another upgrade, the mobile hotspot was the best function on this phone, keyboard was laggy every now and then and the sliders would lock quite often. Then went to a Droid Incredible with yet another upgrade on my plan; loved this phone, camera was amazing, apps were plentiful and useful, but couldn't get over the touch keyboard. So I came back to a BlackBerry in the form of a Curve 8530, switched the housing to white and have loved it ever since. I'm already looking at getting in to one of the new Bold's but my family's plan doesn't have an upgrade until December tehe.
    08-15-11 07:53 AM
    I started with the Storm 1 and then wen to the Storm 2. At 52, my eyes have a hard time seeing the keys on a BB keyboard but they did fine on the Storms. About a year ago I went with the Droid X. I actually like the swipe feature but I'm on my 3rd one. Touch pad problems on the first 2 Droid X's. The funny thing was, I went back to my old Storm 2 every time while waiting for my replacement Droid. Suddenly I realized I missed my BB. I realized I got "ALL" my emails once again while using my BB. I have a couple of "church" emails that would not always come through on my Droid X so I always had to double check my emails at home to make sure I didn't miss any. Yeah, I got a bunch of apps on my Droid X but about all "I" do is show them to other people. I really don't "use" them.

I have 2 iMacs, iTouch, and iPad. I like Apple but I'm getting this "Anti-Apple" thing going on (at least when it comes to the iPhone). Sort of like the way I'm feeling towards Verizon. When you get too big for your britches this low level arrogance towards your customers can affects their loyalty. I believe the iPhone is the best phone and it would be nice to have a phone on the "same" platform as all my other toys. However, I pray the larger keyboard on the 9930 will suit my eyesight. I can't help it but I tend to pull for the underdog. IF I could only find a smaller carrier that will carry the BB Bold Touch. I am coming back to BB.
    08-15-11 10:47 AM
    I'm coming from an iPhone 4. Have been waiting for the 9930 to come out since I read about it around April. Can't wait to ditch this junk phone tomorrow.
    08-15-11 12:38 PM
    I purchased the Bold 9900 from Rogers yesterday for a great 6gig bundle package and because I qualified for an upgrade, I got 200 taken off the phone! I haven't put down this phone since I bought it! It is extremely impressive. I still get the touch screen of an iPhone but I get the KEYBOARD that I've always wanted! The speed, response, quality, and durability of this phone seem fantastic! I find that majority of people are jumping on the bandwagon with the culture that Apple has created with their phones. Each type of mobile phone has their pros an cons but overall it's what YOU want in a phone - and my Bold is it! Looking forward to utilizing the full potential of this phone
    08-15-11 02:14 PM
    I switched from my Curve 8900 to a Nexus One last November. I must admit I was seduced by the apps and the stock Android UI. While it's a great device, I'll be returning to BlackBerry very soon. I just can't type on the touchscreen properly! My thumbs are too large for typing in portrait, and even in landscape it's an awful experience compared to a good QWERTY. I've also been sincerely missing BBM.

My only problem now is which device to pick - I'm torn between the Torch 9810, or waiting a bit longer for the elusive Bold 9790!

I can't seem to edit my user info so it looks like I'm still on my old Curve.
    Last edited by faithman; 08-18-11 at 06:43 AM.
    08-18-11 06:40 AM
    Oh man.... bought an Incredible 2 a couple days ago.

Look, this thing is NOT buggy and it works as advertised with all the well known advantages of a super-computer smartphone with a zillion features.

But, the antenna is WAY less sensitive than my blackberry. I go all around town to the same locations. The locations that gave me a weak signal with the blackberry now give me zero signal. Totally inoperable.

In operation for work duties, the android is fiddly. For this, I am partially to blame because it is a new OS for me. Well, not entirely new, but it is not nearly as familiar as the RIM OS. However, I would be amazed that .... for the tasks I do at work.... that you could convince me that an android is going to snap to the task as quickly as the blackberry.

I did buy the extended battery, so this thing has no battery life issues. I totally ran this thing all day long and it has 10% left after 10 hours.

I take my 9650 out with me when I work on my property, too.... and have it on me when I'm digging, using a chain saw, changing the oil, etc. I would NEVER have a glass slab phone on me in these situations. I feel like I have to treat it like a delicate egg. What a hassle.

Granted, if this thing doesn't sell on Craigslist in a few days (I just posted it), I'll put the droid to use as a kind of iPod Touch on wifi around the house... and, of course, as a backup phone.
    08-18-11 04:48 PM
    I just left the webOS community for BlackBerry. I might be selling or willing to trade my Touchpad so I can get a Playbook. I should have gotten that instead of the Touchpad now with what is happening with webOS. I am currently using a Storm2 and saving money so I can get either a Bold 9930 or a Torch. It depends if I want to switch carriers or not. Just might wait until the Torch is available for Verizon and buy it at full price.
    08-18-11 10:20 PM
    After about a 3 year absence, I am back with my new 9930 on Verizon. iPhone was okay, Android was Great, WebOS was..........but BlackBerry is stable day in and day out. So far it feels good to be back.
    08-19-11 10:56 PM
    my phone addiction goes back to the Nokia N-Gage, then my smart phone love started with a Treo 650. I then had a windows HTC 8125 then the 8525. after that final death i tried the Iphone for the smooth MP3 and hacking abilities. very quickly became bored and the phone became unreliable do to my ignorance in the hacking department. after a master reset the iphone was unbearable and seemed to me to be a PlayCo toy for kindergarten. i then had an xperia X1 (windows world phone) that phone was amazing but still had windows lag. I then got caught by the hardware packed Evo... the screen size and camera were attractive and web browsing and google search were very useful, BUT the battery life, the ultra lame apps, unreliable OS, no ergonomic design at all (hurt my hand after a while of browsing) became annoying and intolerable to me. this led to me trading my HTC EVO for a Blackberry Curve 8530 the phone I'm using now and my first blackberry experience. even coming from a top end 2010 phone I love my blackberry much much more! I am currently waiting for a 9930 in the mail. I love how everything is so organized with and options and menus for everything. the battery life still blows me away when i forget to charge it for a couple DAYS and the battery light comes on. i cant live with out LED notification and Bebuzz. the way if feels in hand and the build quality is great. I'm liking BBM more and more as time goes on. I'm officially a Crackberry addict.
    08-20-11 01:08 PM
    Nokia N-Gage? You youngsters....

My first phone was an NEC P100. �15 per month on Vodafone Uk and 50p per minutes at all times. What a great tariff that was.....

I'm coming back from an iPhone 4 within the next 2 weeks or so - I've kept an 8520 on the go for a couple of months to see if I really missed the BBerry and I did, so the apple has to go.
    08-20-11 03:20 PM
    I had a bold a year ago, then switched to the htc evo 4g. Didnt like the touch screen, but it was ok. After a year i missed the blackberry so much, and when my htc fried, i bought the style. Best decision in a while.
    Blackberry_Boy likes this.
    08-21-11 01:36 PM
    7750->8703->crappy storm->8330->9630-> IPHONE 4...->9630.

I cannot run from who I am, no matter how hard I try.

I got shiny object syndrome and tried an iphone, it was great for a month or so. Until I realized I was avoiding business correspondence until I could get back to my desk, when I used to just crank things out from my bb while on the run.

Once I realized not having a BB was actually making me stay at work later to type emails on a keyboard, that was that - sold my iphone immediately even though I'd blown my verizon upgrade, and lost some money. I now have my old BB and know whats best for me, even if people think its not cool.

I've learned my lesson.

There are people on earth who dont think apps and browsing are the most important things to do on a phone. I am one of those people. I have an ipad for fun stuff, and a bb for biznass comm.
    Deu2e likes this.
    08-21-11 09:46 PM
    I'm returning the world of Blackberry after 3 years with and iPhone 3G/iPhone 4.
    I walked into my local sprint store looking to replace my iPhone and leave AT&t and it's lousy overpriced service behind. I saw the new all touch screen torch and fell in love with the obvious Blackberry styling.

So far I'm loving OS 7,it reminds me of OS 5 on my old Curve but updated with a lot of polish . Its well built and fast. I don't know about battery life yet as I've had it only a day. I do have a problem though, I've tried downloading some free apps from Blackberry app world and all I get is a downloading message but nothing downloads, very troubling.

I'm trying to resolve the problem but may have to take it back to the sprint store to see if they can fix it.

Has anybody here experienced the same problem?
    08-22-11 10:04 AM
    I'm back after my trial run on an Android (Droid X).

I put up a good effort, but in the end, that effort is what turned me off.

I ran it stock. Then I rooted and optimized it, bought the productivity apps I needed, and then proceeded to "just use it" for a while.

Pros:
    • Browser / flash
    • App selection
    • Screen size
    • RAM (1 GB!)
    • Smoother GUI rendering (scrolling, animations, etc.)
    • Most of the hard core user community are pretty helpful.

Cons:
    • A large number of apps are buggy, many are downright poorly written. This isn't just apps written by hobbyists, but bigger apps like FaceBook and YouTube.
    • Disjointed experience. Android is based on openness and few restrictions on developers. The result can be excellent, but more often is inconsistency in GUI, quality, functionality, etc.
    • I felt like I was online every other day searching for a solution for another "that was weird" OS/app occurrence. Force closes, random reboots, bluetooth issues, speakerphone issues, hangs when the phone rang, etc. Almost every search yielded scores of other people having the same types of issues, often with no straight forward resolutions. I grew weary of fixing issues and felt like I never knew what it would do next.
    • No central notification system. In Android, each app is responsible for it's own notifications, ringtones, etc. All you can control centrally is global volumes for ringtones, notifications, and media. There are apps, but they are limited and no where near BB's notification capabilities. BeBuzz would make a killing if they made an Android version!

Interestingly, the feeling I got was the same as using Linux - it can work, but takes a lot of work, searching the net for answers, and digging around in the bowels of the OS. A mass consumption phone / OS should not require general consumers to "try SuperROM v14" and go into super user terminals to get it running smoothly. It great that high-aptitude users have that option, but right now it's almost required. Maybe someday Google will get this OS to the point that you don't need to spend so much time pampering it and diagnosing it.

Until then, I'm back on my ol' Storm 2 until QNX hits (or April, whichever comes first). I can customize BBOS enough for the short term, and once I'm done, it just works (unless I break it with incessant tinkering ).
    Last edited by TBacker; 08-22-11 at 10:05 PM.
    08-22-11 09:50 PM
    Been back and fourth with blackberry. My last departure was for the iPhone 4 came back with the Torch 9800 then sold that and went back to the IP4. Now looks like I'm coming back once again with the 9850/60 once AT&T gets them. I can't wait to get back. Most of my friends left so bbm won't be the same but I'm sure I can find enough friends off of good ole crack berry lolm
    08-23-11 09:39 PM
    Been a BB user since the 8700g, switched to Motorola Droid/Pro last year...now back kicking major booty with 9930. I am happy again.
    08-24-11 07:31 PM
    Coming back(?) to the BB 9810 for now from the iPhone 4. Gunna use my 30 days and decide if I can live without my apps.
    08-26-11 01:51 AM
    I had a Curve 8310 a couple of years ago. Great phone, but the BB-operator where I live was ridiculously overpriced. Got too damn expensive. After two droids, a new operator that actually wants to sell BB's, and my growing hate for touchscreens, I'm now back to a Bold 9780. Finally!
    08-26-11 02:55 AM
    Definitely will be back on the team in the next couple days. I will be running with my Bold 9000 until AT&T drops the Torch 9860. Can't wait. I'm excited and hope to gain new friends(bbm) soon . I'm actually using my my Bold on wifi right now lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-11 03:12 PM
    I use the calculator on my BB and have a problem. If I take a number and want to find out what a percentage is, say 5% of 500000 I get the answer. But then I want to find out what the tax to the new number would be, i.e. 5% of 500000 is 25500. But then press the + key I get 1.25 e10. What is that? I want to add 5% to the 25500 but can't seem to do it.
    08-28-11 08:45 AM
    i wonder how long before touchscreens finally replace non-touchies. i love my Curve, dated styling, small screen and lacking touch. things i actually WANT
    08-28-11 08:20 PM
568 12345 ...