For the heck of it I just set up a page where you can enter your speed test results and see what others are getting. I'm fascinated by this sort of thing -- and I'm trying to figure out if my wifi is slower than it should be -- so here's the link:

I'd appreciate it if folks would enter their results so we can see if there are any interesting patterns.
    12-04-09 07:29 PM
    wouldn't the wifi portion be dependent on your internet connection anyway? for example i run off a shared T1 line, so mine would be much greater than a cable modem. (i'm still curious though so i like your idea!)
    Last edited by dLo GSR; 12-04-09 at 07:39 PM.
    12-04-09 07:32 PM
    wouldn't the wifi portion be dependent on your internet connection anyway? for example i run off a shared T1 line, so mine would be much greater than a cable modem. (i'm still curious though so i like your idea!)
    Yes, maybe... But I'm interested whether others have the same slow wifi speed issues I'm seeing. (It's not my network, as a wifi PC will get 10+ Mb/s while my 9700 tops out at 500kb/s.) I'm trying to figure out why that is, so the wifi data on that is of use for that reason.

Also, I'm not entirely sure the connections go directly from one's router to the destination host... When I hit a "what's my ip#" server from my 9700 via UMA, the ip address it reports I'm from is not my own router, but a RIM ip# via BIS proxy. Thus my speed could be limited by RIM (perhaps based on server load or perhaps by design, perhaps by agreements with T-Mobile, who knows).

Of course tonight for the first time I'm seeing speeds faster than 500kbps... Zery Interestink.
    12-04-09 10:05 PM
    From the 3G Speed thread in General Discussion last week:

WiFi -

3G -

(MobileSpeedTest.com)

Sorry, didn't feel like going through the testing stuff again. Did about 30 that day in that thread.
    12-04-09 10:21 PM
    ...(MobileSpeedTest.com)
    Thanks, hadn't heard of that site. I get much higher numbers using that site than via the Xtreme app. Hmm!

If I do a small file test with MST then it shows ~500Kb/s but if I do the 5MB test it shows ~2500Kb/s. Perhaps it's the amount of data the Xtreme test uses... or...

Interesting. I'll play with it more tomorrow.
    12-04-09 11:56 PM
    i inputted my results
    12-20-09 07:31 PM
    Yes, maybe... But I'm interested whether others have the same slow wifi speed issues I'm seeing. (It's not my network, as a wifi PC will get 10+ Mb/s while my 9700 tops out at 500kb/s.) I'm trying to figure out why that is, so the wifi data on that is of use for that reason.
    I have been having wifi issues, too. Tonight my husband told me to turn off my Bluetooth, and I saw an immediate and significant increase in speeds. It didn't help with my sucktastic 3G speeds, though.
    12-20-09 08:03 PM
    Got 7272 Kbps on 5MB test on 3G
    12-20-09 09:45 PM
    Where r u guys testing ur speed? Like @ what web sites can I perform these test at?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-09 09:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD