Last week I started getting a massive memory leak. After a reset or battery pull I'd rapidly go from 17Mb free on my Curve to as low as less than 12Mb. The culprit was the CNN.com home screen app, which I regulated to the trash heap last night and the leak is gone. I had difficulty downloading it OTA, which I suspect had something to do with it.
    09-23-08 08:37 AM
    Update:
    Looks like I recovered about 2Mb than I thought I would deleting the CNN app. Makes me wonder if all the aborted installs were taking up memory.
    09-23-08 01:40 PM
    It might be cause it updates constantly, or you left the application running...
    09-23-08 02:27 PM
    hmmm, will try this
    09-23-08 05:11 PM
    the OS is the main culprit for BB memory leaks...
    09-23-08 05:18 PM
    There will always be 'leakage', when you see the two arrows in the right hand corner of the screen going back and forth, that is data moving in and out. Bits of that data get 'stuck' and a battery pull or clearing your web cache is what frees this up. A 4mg drop in free file is usual...
    09-23-08 06:30 PM
    It might be cause it updates constantly, or you left the application running...
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't it. It's only a home screen short cut to CNN.com. Probably just a few K of memory. Problem happened even after a battery pull or three finger salute.
    09-24-08 06:32 AM
    I had the same suspicion: that CNN was leaking my memory abnormally fast. After monitoring how frequently I had to perform battery pulls, I had to get rid of it. Damn
    12-04-08 05:04 PM
    I have the shortcut also but have not noted any major memory leaks. If I have any future issues I will keep that in mind.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 05:09 PM
    I had the same suspicion: that CNN was leaking my memory abnormally fast. After monitoring how frequently I had to perform battery pulls, I had to get rid of it. Damn
    Did you try an uninstall/reinstall? I know a couple who had that issue and a simple reinstall did the trick.
    12-04-08 05:15 PM
    Good idea, but yea, I have reinstalled it OTA three times and it hasn't done the trick, assuming it is in fact the CNN app that is responsible for the memory leak. I haven't loaded any new apps for months. Then, we I loaded CNN, I noticed a consistently rapid decrease in free space. It was a nice little application/shortcut, though. Thanks anyway
    12-04-08 05:48 PM
    I have had the CNN shortcut forever and it has no effect on my
    memory at all. Got to be something else.
    12-04-08 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD